Glucosamine treatment for an old warrior (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The hangers from the current set up are not staying.

What I'm wondering is what would the drawbacks be to just putting the whole front suspension back to stock with the exception of the springs being on top now.

Since the reversal already gives you about 1-2" lift (I think mine was 1.5") already you'd want to remove the front large hangers. You could just go with regular hangers in front and shackles in the rear. I think I've seen this done this way before.

When I was talking to Proffitts's about redoing my 40 they talked about doing it this way for the springover.

Looking forward to seeing how all this turns out.

we had good experience with Scottsdale Muffler for anything from the header back - just sayin'

very reasonably priced, too :D

Thanks for the tip.
But I think I'll be making my own this time. :wrench:

we had good experience with Scottsdale Muffler for anything from the header back - just sayin'

very reasonably priced, too :D

What's the best way to do the 2 into 1 with them? 2 straight dumps or a straight and swept dump combo?

I'm really curious about this myself. I need to order some new ram horns for my project and will be doing a 2 into 1 also.

I did some searching for exhaust + crossover and found quite a few threads with pics. The trend seems to be 2 straight dumps into a store bought crossover pipe. From there out the routing is pretty vehicle specific.

I'm really curious about this myself. I need to order some new ram horns for my project and will be doing a 2 into 1 also.

Tiny step forward

Got a little more done this week, but nothing exiting. Just more grime work.:frown: And a lot of Mud research on things in the plans. :) Most of the weekend was spent preparing other junk to go to the sand dunes next week. :bounce:

So with the pressure washer at hand, I began to reveal what was once a nice looking engine. 21 yr old 383 build with 43k miles, now ready for some new gaskets. Also, Gunk Engine Bright still sucks. I gave it another chance "new formula!", but it still does little more than stink up the place. My generic purple power did better. Amazing what still clings on though.

And, now I've got a less grimy place to begin the grind fest of removing old stuff. Made more progress peeling away the rattle can black on the firewall from the P.O. Unloaded another pound or two of hidden Sedona mud in the process too.!
cleangine.JPG
cleanframe.jpg

Last edited:
That power washer looks like the one they sell at Costco. How does it work? I have been thinking about picking one up.

It's a Home Depot unit, a few years old. Probably no different than the Chinese specials they sell everywhere with different skins.

Works okay for an electric. I've used gas powered ones that really get it done. I've had to take apart the gun once to lube everything up and make it work again.

Better than a nozzle on the hose:grinpimp:

That power washer looks like the one they sell at Costco. How does it work? I have been thinking about picking one up.

Another baby step

Got my evilbay stock motor mount brackets this week.:bounce: And a pair of NAPA mounts to go with 'em. Funny thing, I opened one box at the NAPA store and was pleasantly surprised to find made in the USA stamped on the mount. But wait, I open the other one at home and it says China! :doh:

I may go and see if my pal at the parts counter can stir up another USA one. Or maybe we'll install them and see if China fails 1st.:p

Bet it will, even if I put it on the passenger side.:D
mounts.jpg

"Progress"
Trans is in pieces and I think I know why it was leaking :frown:

attachment.php

Got a little more done this week, but nothing exiting. Just more grime work.:frown: And a lot of Mud research on things in the plans. :) Most of the weekend was spent preparing other junk to go to the sand dunes next week. :bounce:

So with the pressure washer at hand, I began to reveal what was once a nice looking engine. 21 yr old 383 build with 43k miles, now ready for some new gaskets. Also, Gunk Engine Bright still sucks. I gave it another chance "new formula!", but it still does little more than stink up the place. My generic purple power did better. Amazing what still clings on though.

And, now I've got a less grimy place to begin the grind fest of removing old stuff. Made more progress peeling away the rattle can black on the firewall from the P.O. Unloaded another pound or two of hidden Sedona mud in the process too.!

I've had very good luck with the store brand Citruis engine degreaser, and it doesn't burn holes in the driveway. I sprayed it on the rear wheel of my motorcycle and 10,000 miles of chain oil and shmag rinsed off with the garden hose... :D

Yeah I've got some "Orange Blast" in the garage I use for the lighter duty engine clean up on the "show cars". It works good until you run into the petroleum reinforced kiln fired adobe crap that seems to collect in the the lower regions of my 4x4. :D

I've had very good luck with the store brand Citruis engine degreaser, and it doesn't burn holes in the driveway. I sprayed it on the rear wheel of my motorcycle and 10,000 miles of chain oil and shmag rinsed off with the garden hose... :D

Some excerpts from the tranny rebuild phase. The tranny is turning out to be a little more messed up than I expected. Go figure.:doh:

Tranny rebuild thread
clutchgear.jpg
input1.jpg
counter2.jpg

My frame rails were in alot worse shape than yours, from the PO's sad sag conversion. I replaced the frt cross member, scabbed the driver side frame rail & went w/Scout steering. I think the scout box locates at a better/stronger place on the frame. My drag link/TRE oreintation is spot on & it handles better than it did w/the box out frt. I think it's a better setup. It maybe something to consider.

Another day of progress. (Feels more like I'm diggin a really big hole) :p The slate is nearly blank. The old bullet on the stand in back will be seeing some attention now too.

I love your Yama Blaster. I had one of those, and I beat all the life out of it. it was fun while it lasted

Ha! yeah that was my teenage son's ride. I never ride them contraptions. My sand toy has seats and belts.

Jr. graduated to a Banshee this year so the Blaster is up for sale. ;)

I love your Yama Blaster. I had one of those, and I beat all the life out of it. it was fun while it lasted

It's been a thought. It does look better, but I hear the Scout boxes are getting harder to find. And I do have a perfectly good Sag box now....

Replace the crossmember? Just ground off the rivets and pulled it out? Where did you find a replacement?

My frame rails were in alot worse shape than yours, from the PO's sad sag conversion. I replaced the frt cross member, scabbed the driver side frame rail & went w/Scout steering. I think the scout box locates at a better/stronger place on the frame. My drag link/TRE oreintation is spot on & it handles better than it did w/the box out frt. I think it's a better setup. It maybe something to consider.

When I bought this L/C eeons ago, I knew this area was going to be a problem. I patched it several times & it would eventually crack again. That part of the frame is a high flex area. Thru the yrs I had parted out serveral FJ40's & on 1 of them I pulled the crossmember before scrapping what was left of it. About 10yrs later, I had to finally replace it, It could no longer be patched. I pulled the bumper, fenders,rad etc, cut off/ground the rivits & used a high lift to spread the frame rails and R&R'd the crossmember. Instead of rivits I used fine thread grade 8's & welded the nuts to the bolts to make premanent. I made sure I did not weld the crossmember to the frame rails. Then did the scout box. I remember 1 of my old professors mentioning that the frame on leaf sprung frt suspensions were designed to flex a little to help w/handling. IDK it that's true, but I've always noticed rails do move a little when you turn the wheels. There are a lot of rusted out FJ40's & frames out there. You should be able to find 1. Worst case senario you can buy a box from Autozone & the like, they sell rebuilt scout boxes. IIR the last time I looked, they were about $170+/-. Mine was a used unit & found it for free. You should be able to find 1 used. I think it's a better setup & well worth the change. The install is probably easier than putting the box out frt especially since your there already.
My other L/C needs P/S & it will get a scout box along w/a friends FJ40.

Last edited:
jeeps have there boxes close to the same location as the L/C sag conversion. Have you ever notice all the aftermarket support bracing that is offered for their boxes to help keep them tight to the frame. Granted jeeps are cheesy, but I'm just saying.

Ya got my wheels turning different directions now.
I took a look at the FAQ looking for info on donors. Nothing more specific than mid 70's. Any years to focus on? Are Travelalls a candidate?

When I bought this L/C eeons ago, I knew this area was going to be a problem. I patched it several times & it would eventually crack again. That part of the frame is a high flex area. Thru the yrs I had parted out serveral FJ40's & on 1 of them I pulled the crossmember before scrapping what was left of it. About 10yrs later, I had to finally replace it, It could no longer be patched. I pulled the bumper, fenders,rad etc, cut off/ground the rivits & used a high lift to spread the frame rails and R&R'd the crossmember. Instead of rivits I used fine thread grade 8's & welded the nuts to the bolts to make premanent. I made sure I did not weld the crossmember to the frame rails. Then did the scout box. I remember 1 of my old professors mentioning that the frame on leaf sprung frt suspensions were designed to flex a little to help w/handling. IDK it that's true, but I've always noticed rails do move a little when you turn the wheels. There are a lot of rusted out FJ40's & frames out there. You should be able to find 1. Worst case senario you can buy a box from Autozone & the like, they sell rebuilt scout boxes. IIR the last time I looked, they were about $170+/-. Mine was a used unit & found it for free. You should be able to find 1 used. I think it's a better setup & well worth the change. The install is probably easier than putting the box out frt especially since your there already.
My other L/C needs P/S & it will get a scout box along w/a friends FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom