Gen V 5.3 L83 / 8L90e / Blackbox / 80series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

😂

I suppose you have a reason but I got to ask, why not pull the tires and front coils and set it down on the floor and bumps? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sweet setup.

Cheers
Had to move it around so my wife could have the garage back! The diff will hit the pan on a stock truck no way around that with the size of the motor. Maybe a hot rod pan, but this one will be lifted and have the bump stops lowered so it won't be an issue.

Had to move it around so my wife could have the garage back! The diff will hit the pan on a stock truck no way around that with the size of the motor. Maybe a hot rod pan, but this one will be lifted and have the bump stops lowered so it won't be an issue.

I just meant for slinging it in.

Cheers

How did/will you mount the transfer case shifter ? Pictures? Also, any shots of the motor mounts?

thx,
dg

You're on your way! We did an LT4 before, and we had to use the holley oil pan, modify exhaust manifolds, and we bought an accessory kit that had a power steering pump on it.

I wish the 8-speed adapter was available at the time, we had to compromise on the 6L80e. The LT4 and 6L are different generations and they don't talk to eachother. The LT1 came with a 6L option, but not the LT4.

I would be interested to know more about electric power steering, we went with hydraulic steering box because at the time it was it wasn't that proven in aftermarket applications yet.

You're on your way! We did an LT4 before, and we had to use the holley oil pan, modify exhaust manifolds, and we bought an accessory kit that had a power steering pump on it.

I wish the 8-speed adapter was available at the time, we had to compromise on the 6L80e. The LT4 and 6L are different generations and they don't talk to eachother. The LT1 came with a 6L option, but not the LT4.

I would be interested to know more about electric power steering, we went with hydraulic steering box because at the time it was it wasn't that proven in aftermarket applications yet.
I had been looking at the Holley pan, I have used the GMPP muscle car pan on a build and has a similar shape. Will see how the clearance looks with the lift springs in.

As for the ACC drive I believe we decided to switch to a conversion setup from LSSimple.com. They use brackets and the LS3 style centered pump. This will give us the old can style power steering pump and move the AC compressor up high as well.

I think you should be able to use any adapter meant for the 6l80 on an 8l90, possibly with a spacer or shaft shortening but they are both the same spline and diameter.

We used the drive junky LT4 kit, and were really happy with the outcome. The LT1 now has much less expensive PS pump kits though, so you can use all the stock stuff on it and just add the pump. I have been avoiding the LT1 just for that reason actually, but it's getting harder to find low mile LS engines lately.

According to Steve at AA, he says his adapter won't work because of the output shaft is different. I'm excited to see you using the NWFab adapter though, I have one on my diesel FJ62 with 6L80e and HF2A case. Mine was an early one, so I have issues with oil but we ended up modifying the case and installing a baffle to keep the oil from exiting.

bump.

All bolted up and sealed. Still need to finish the shift cable mount on the transmission.

20201025_133853.jpg
20201025_133859.jpg

I've read that the 8L90 is skinnier (not sure if that is the right term) than the other trannys like the 6l80/90s. Is that something you have noticed? If so, did you see more room in the tunnel? Also, how does the overall length of the tcase, BB, and trans compare to the stock setup? Shorter, longer? Just wondering in regards to engine positioning.

Thanks and all this is just so cool...

dg

I've read that the 8L90 is skinnier (not sure if that is the right term) than the other trannys like the 6l80/90s. Is that something you have noticed? If so, did you see more room in the tunnel? Also, how does the overall length of the tcase, BB, and trans compare to the stock setup? Shorter, longer? Just wondering in regards to engine positioning.

Thanks and all this is just so cool...

dg
Just looking at them I think the 8L90 has more girth in the center...the 6L80 and 90 have smaller center cases and smaller planetary gear sets...I'll try and wheel a 6L80 next to it for comparison. The 8L90 did seem to fit in the tunnel but leaves very little room for shifter cables, so we will have to figure that part out. May have to go to flexible cables for the HF2AV instead of the rod.

I can measure the total length but it wouldn't directly compare to the 343 transmission because it starts further back with the 1FZ. We are hoping that the transfer case lands in the stock spot though since it can't really go back without hitting the fuel tank.

No it's not a dead project. I had been dreading redoing all the wiring at IH1 and IH2 because the original engine harness was gone and the replacement I got was for a 1995? and very different than the 1996 body. Oh well the connectors matched and I can read wiring diagrams. I cleaned up the harness "severely" so I had to redo the wiring from IH1 to EC1 for the transfer case. I also had to wire in the Dakota Digital GSS-3000 to give a neutral safety and reverse light output. The GSS-3000 is also connected to IH1 and IH2 to pass 12v to the dash gear position lights.

Completely by accident we found that for a specific motor mount position the combination of L83, 8L90, Black Box and 80 transfer case lands within .25" of the stock location. We got a set of drive shafts from Mudrak and they bolted in. The oil pan is sitting about 2" from the top of the axle so the truck will have to be lifted, but the front drive shaft does clear the pan on the 8L90.

Waiting on a new shifter cable and some more water pump adapters and it should be ready to test fire.

question, and clarification, you have an adapter to mate to a lsa 6l90e tranny with the auto transfer case?

It's an 8l90 transmission and the Black Box is the adapter. You order it made for the transmission and transfer case you intend to use. If you scroll up and look at the picture of the transmission it's the back tube in between the transmission and the stock Toyota transfer case.

I've used it before, just was throwing ideas out there. The PCS module just plugs into the can signal, but doesn't give you dash lights which is cool for the DD kit. I used the black box behind my 5.3 and 8L90 also, but decided to change it up since I won't really be using the black box for the crawling aspect. We have our own adapter being made and it'll work with the 8L and 10L transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom