Gas Tank Cushion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on a 5/1977 FJ40. Did the top of the gas tank or gas tank cover have any type of cushion? SOR is showing what appears to be some type of cushion between the top of the gas tank and the gas tank cover.

test.jpg

My 12 of 78 did NOT have cushions on the top of the tank. Maybe those are supposed to be on the bottom? Would make more sense at least.

Yep, a sort of indoor/outdoor carpet top and bottom. I bought my 78 new and that's what was there. The carpet holds water and helps rust the bottom of the tank, so you're better off using something else. I get 1" rubber stoppers at Lowe's and cut them into 1/4" or so discs and then I glue four or five of those on the bottom of the tank. You can use the carpet or something similar on top.

Echo the carpet strips across the top of the tank, just had my interior and tranny torn of for a clutch job and cleaned up everything I could while there.

Here’s what I found while taking mine apart

DF80AF86-76A6-425E-AB6C-618A26350CD6.jpeg

Small rubber pads - #20 in the diagram above - go under the tank from the late 60's thru 12/78. 4 total on mine when I pulled the tank. They were about 2-3" square iirc. (NOTE: 12/78 trucks can be a weird hybrid of parts in prep for the 1/79 changes:alien:) The top of the tank got the carpet strips like in both photos.

This is what was under mine. Definitely not rubber pads. But who knows if they are OEM as my tank had at least one repair on where the pads/carpet caused some pinholes... It did however look a lot like the material used under my bib hinge.

image-jpeg.1292039

My 69 had original strips under the tank. SOR sells some foam type ones. I bought some when I refurbished my tank but almost anything would have worked so long as there is a slight buffer.

I used generic weathstripping under the tank when I reinstalled it. Didn’t pull the backing tape just set some strips in place before setting the tank back in.

I used strips of yoga mat. Closed cell foam and not too thick. Had enough left over to make a mat for the back of the "40. About 20 bucks at the Wally World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom