GA 55 left in woods for 20 yrs- 10/73 model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am moving my sharpening shop this month, so progress is slow on the pig. I hope to get back on it in a couple weeks.

I got a huge distraction today.... free truck. 1978 Camper Special Supercab, dual tanks, Jasper 351M with 12,000 miles, been sitting for 3 years, and also with an OEM toolbox on the passenger side of the bed.

Free Truck 03-05-14.jpg

looking good! Always liked those trucks!

I just can't spend any time on this one. It needs tanks gone through, carb rebuilt, all new ignition, rust proofing, etc. I am not going to do a frame off for the third time!

wh is an expert on the wiring of pigs? I am getting ready to finish up wiring in the starter col, reverse lights, and a few other unidentified wires.

Also, I removed the windshield wipers today and realized one of my wipers is frozen up and will not turn in the threaded housing. i will post pics soon.

I have been balls to the wall for the past 3 months. I have a rebate coming soon that I guess will be going for slocruisers rubber kit...Ouch!

I hope to have a plan to finish the assembly and paint soon after that. It seems like there is always another knick knack to fix before I can do that. I have been piddling with the dash lately, but I want a new lasercut one so my heart is just not in it. I am mainly posting so that I can find my thread easier.

Welcome to the club! I'm sure you know with it sitting in the humid south for 20 years, everything in the motor is going to be rusted. My guess is you're going to be tearing the motor down and rebuilding it from the ground up.

That starts you on the slippery slope, as to what to spend money on or replace with new. You're right in pulling the head and pan, to get a good look at stuff and that carb is going to be toast, at the least a rebuild.

I wish you good luck and pray you have an understanding Wife. :)

Take it slow and have some fun.

I read this again today. Fortunately, my wife doesnt know about it yet! Also, I was out of the gate pretty strong, but now it is taking it slow in spite of my best efforts. I was hoping to be cruising by now.

I park by my cruiser everyday when I get to work. I look at the newly built engine, the new rockers and floorplan, the repaired rusted out areas, the re sealed front axle, and I think about the new brake components......and I go inside and glimpse at the newly upholstered seats.....and then I think about the $12k or so that I have in it, and I get depressed that it is not further along. I have been on MUD for 13 months now. Is there a Prozac for pig owners? I have $10k to go before I will be done. I am so ready to cruise in this thing for the.first time, but it seems so far away.......any pep talkers out there?

I'm in the same boat as you are and for about as long. The difference for me is that I've always been too scared to total up all my receipts, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm in it as deep as you. I haven't posted new pics yet but, I had a very productive holiday weekend and was able to finally get the body shell back on the frame. That was a huge milestone for me. I'm excited again and ready to push forward and get it done. Hang in there and relish the small victories.

You think that this is about getting it done? I am not sure that that will every be the case, at least I can't see it for me. A long time ago I realized that this was a hobbie. I used to think about getting it done. I am not in that mind set now. What with AC, different engines, suspensions, blah blah blahs. How about that trip that needs to be taken. Or I just don't feel it today. No worries man (in my best rasta voice)! Myself, I don't really ever want to be totally done with this thing... well, maybe just a little farther along:flipoff2:

Maybe I have so many different interests that I need closure on some of the bigger projects. I have a 1978 frame off C-10 Scottsdale that is about in the same stage...ready for paint, but driveable under its own power. I want this project finished also. It is hard to manage forward movement on everything when I am trying to hunt, ride 4 wheelers, fly airplanes, garden, manage 3 businesses, and keep my wife and 3 kids tended to.

I figured something out....You CAN'T do it all! I am in wrap up mode on several projects. I sold my 78 F250 Supercab and one of my airplanes, and I have finished my 93 Chevy rebuild. I am getting ready to send off the 78 C10 for paint, and then I am going to send off the 55 for paint. I got covered up with too many projects.

i still havent driven one!

Have about fifteen more miles logged than you, then, and it'll rejuvenate the build-steam.

It's been some time since I have, but won't be too long before I should be again, and half inclined to drive it, warts and all, before tearing into paint and body, just to enjoy the feeling, rejuvenate energy.

I am still here, just in case you are wondering. I have a gas tank from a 71 that I would like to get rid of. I don't think it has a hole in the it. Also, I think I am done with my parts rig. Frame and axles are mostly what's left. 71. It has a 2F engine also, but I am thinking about keeping it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom