FULL LENGTH ADD-A-LEAF FOR FJ40 - BEST BUDGET SUSPENSION LIFT FOR SUA FJ40?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I build my budget FJ40 I'm gravitated towards the $500 4" Procomp or Rough Country lifts available when comparing them to the prices for the OME. I understand the reasons to avoid the cheaper alternatives but there has to be another way. I'm also a little confused why one of two people have posted that they love the Rancho Add-a-leaf (RS60612) short leaf springs while the majority run for the hills to get away from these. I've had good experiences in the past with using a "full-length" AAL on the rear suspension of previously owned trucks and a jeep cherokee.

My big question here is can a leaf spring be used from a donor toyota pickup or another FJ to add lift on front and rear of the FJ40 without the sacrifices associated with too stiff suspension? I haven't been able to find the usual inventiveness that I am used to seeing on IH8MUD on this topic.

I'm not looking to gain 4-6" from using an AAL. Realistically I would like to see 2", maybe 3" and achieve this without too abusive of a ride quality.

I haven't ordered anything but would intend to order:
Bilstein shocks for 3-4" lift (~$350)
Rancho U-bolts kits - RS77011 from Rock Auto - $50

The short length Rancho AAL that most everyone seems to hate are RS60612 ($101 for all 4 springs from Rock Auto)

I like the idea of this setup but would like to substitute the short Rancho AAL for 4 full length AAL springs or some other cost effective combination of additional Any suggestions??

Any thoughts out there?

a couple affordable options you could look at-

1. Go to a local spring shop and have your stock leaf springs re-arched and swap to a larger shackle.

2. Buy the individual Old man Emu springs and a bushing set. Reuse your stock shackles. You would need to also get a new set of U-bolts. You could piece your own kit together. This is what I did on one of my previous 40's I owned. Cost me about $600 and I was super happy with the outcome. I even got away with using my old shocks.

Good luck.

I'm also a little confused why one of two people have posted that they love the Rancho Add-a-leaf (RS60612) short leaf springs while the majority run for the hills to get away from these.

This works because you remove the 2 bottom-most leaves in your FJ40 spring pack before installing this short leaf. You will not get 3" lift - more like 1.5". In the Rising Sun club (Denver), there far more than 1-2 happy users. I have done this to two FJ40 rear springs myself. No, it's not like OME, but it gives a nice ride and is dirt cheap. I have never used it on the front of a '40, so I cannot comment there.

The skyjacker lift works well and is affordable.

Seems like there have been some past posts that talked about the Pro Comp Springs ride well and are reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom