Fuel Injection Pump Wire damage 1kzte KZJ78

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jsp

Joined
Mar 31, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
24
Location
Ireland
Hi All,

I was just looking under the hood of my KZJ78 1995. I am new to this car and most things car related.
I noticed a wire damaged on this connector and I think this is the Fuel injector pump. I could be wrong but this wire and connector are for the spill valve.

I am wondering how best to repair this? and what symptoms would you have because of this so I could know that is urgent.

WhatsApp Image 2026-07-31 at 18.58.21(3).webp


WhatsApp Image 2026-07-31 at 18.58.21(1).webp
 
Took this video of the car starting up. wondering the smoke is due to the spill valve malfuntion because of wire damage.


 
@Jsp , Have you checked any of the parts diagrams to see if that "plug" is available from any suppliers? It is in a very tight and awkward spot to try to repair that wire as it sits if you cannot find a replacement part. It will be a serious PITA if you have to pull the IP to repair that wire.
Also call around to a few Injection Pump repair shops, they may be able to source that plug if you can't find it from a supplier.

Short of any of the above options, The break in the wire is so close to the plastic housing it will be a challenge, but not impossible repair, if you are patient. Carefully strip away what's left of the wire at the top of the plastic housing. Carefully solder a new section of 16 or 18 gauge automotive/ fine stranded wire (it appears to be one of those sizes) Then cover the exposed solder with liquid tape. If you have never soldered wire before, try to find someone who has or practice first. Otherwise, it can turn into a mess or you can melt what is left of the wire socket and wire that is there. Good Luck.
 
Last edited:
@Jsp , Have you checked any of the parts diagrams to see if that "plug" is available from any suppliers? It is in a very tight and awkward spot to try to repair that wire as it sits if you cannot find a replacement part. It will be a serious PITA if you have to pull the IP to repair that wire.
Also call around to a few Injection Pump repair shops, they may be able to source that plug if you can't find it from a supplier.

Short of any of the above options, The break in the wire is so close to the plastic housing it will be a challenge, but not impossible repair, if you are patient. Carefully strip away what's left of the wire at the top of the plastic housing. Carefully solder a new section of 16 or 18 gauge automotive/ fine stranded wire (it appears to be one of those sizes) Then cover the exposed solder with liquid tape. If you have never soldered wire before, try to find someone who has or practice first. Otherwise, it can turn into a mess or you can melt what is left of the wire socket and wire that is there. Good Luck.
thank you for your reply.

Yes I have tried to look up if the parts are available to just replace.
a. the full injector pump is very expensive and not available in Ireland.
b. I can't find the spill valve on its own to replace so not a lot of luck there.
c. I will try find pig tail part of the connector. Don't have much hope tho.

To repair, I think if I take off the spill valve it will easier to solder/repair the wire. Would need to confirm the right gauge size for wire. might be something on the wire itself once I get it out.
 
That connector might be tricky to get. The harness side is easy to find but the pump side with the molded clip may be trickier.

On the 1hz you can buy it from Toyota as part of an assembly. I believe Denso might have a part number for it and sell them that way.

That said, your connector housing isn't broken so it can be preserved.

I wouldn't bother soldering personally. I would depin it, crimp on a new terminal, and enjoy some more decades of trouble-free service.

If you don't want to buy a crimper, you can get a Toyota repair wire with the terminal crimped on.

This is minor electrical surgery but IMO anyone maintaining a diesel cruiser needs to be able to do this as diesel fuel makes wires and connectors brittle. Broken wires are inevitable.
 
That connector might be tricky to get. The harness side is easy to find but the pump side with the molded clip may be trickier.

On the 1hz you can buy it from Toyota as part of an assembly. I believe Denso might have a part number for it and sell them that way.

That said, your connector housing isn't broken so it can be preserved.

I wouldn't bother soldering personally. I would depin it, crimp on a new terminal, and enjoy some more decades of trouble-free service.

If you don't want to buy a crimper, you can get a Toyota repair wire with the terminal crimped on.

This is minor electrical surgery but IMO anyone maintaining a diesel cruiser needs to be able to do this as diesel fuel makes wires and connectors brittle. Broken wires are inevitable.
Ive tried searching online for that connector to the SPV side but zero luck and I cant even find the connector on its own or with a bit of wire.

Would you or someone know what gauge wire it would be I I try solder some length to it.
 
Soldering is not going to go well unless you depin it first to give you some material to work with, and at that point you might as well install a repair wire. The solder joint will be brittle and will fail again before long.

If you're averse to crimping a terminal on, get a Toyota repair wire and butt splice it to the harness.

If you disconnect it and take a photo of the shape of the connector and terminal we can probably help identify it.

It is probably a sumitomo ts090/yazaki 090ii.

If you're in a hurry and are ok being brutal to your harness you could cut both ends off to bare wire and use a mating connector or butt splice of your choice. Repair it properly later.
 
@Jsp take a peak at Cruiser Cults website in the literature section. There is a KZJ78 wiring diagram that might show the plug. I believe the plugs are towards the back of the PDF and that might help point a direction on what the plug is or give direction on matching it to one of the OE supplier plugs.
 
@Jsp, Pimpn' Ain't Easy... I meant to say..."Crimping ain't Easy" .. just kidding.. but crimping or soldering will be a challenge. it's gonna be tight with that plastic connector. Don't sweat the small stuff... if it is 16gauge or 18... either will work. Most wire strippers have the size and either should work in this case, if you can't find the connector new. Good luck getting a butt crimp connection on there... don't think it's gonna happen.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Jsp
@Jsp take a peak at Cruiser Cults website in the literature section. There is a KZJ78 wiring diagram that might show the plug. I believe the plugs are towards the back of the PDF and that might help point a direction on what the plug is or give direction on matching it to one of the OE supplier plugs.
I found this in one of the manuals but no luck with part number.
1785625194194.webp
 
Soldering is not going to go well unless you depin it first to give you some material to work with, and at that point you might as well install a repair wire. The solder joint will be brittle and will fail again before long.

If you're averse to crimping a terminal on, get a Toyota repair wire and butt splice it to the harness.

If you disconnect it and take a photo of the shape of the connector and terminal we can probably help identify it.

It is probably a sumitomo ts090/yazaki 090ii.

If you're in a hurry and are ok being brutal to your harness you could cut both ends off to bare wire and use a mating connector or butt splice of your choice. Repair it properly later.
I think that might be the best option. Take out pin and attach a longer wire with pin and put back in connector. Trying to source pins and wires here in Ireland.. another battle in itself.
 
**Update:
Disconnected the connector from the ECU harness. It is reading 66.7 Ohms. A lot higher than the spec. prob due to damaged wire.

Think I found the part number for the connector but not sure if I can source one here. will try Toyota.

Screenshot 2026-08-04 141224.webp
 
Some more part numbers thst might help:

Male repair wires:
82998-12430, 82998-12450

Female repair wires:
82998-12440, 82998-12590, 82998-12790, 82998-12800
Thanks. Took me a while but I was finally able to decipher the wire harness repair manual.

Does it matter if I use tin plated vs gold plated version of wire? the local dealer has the gold one on hand.
 
Back
Top Bottom