Fuel Filter Change Fail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I attempted to change my fuel filter in my Gas Motor 100 Series today. The line nut is seized into the fuel filter and wont budge. It was half rounded from before I bought it but is completely shot now. I used a line wrench and PB Blaster and the sucker wouldn't budge. Decided to give up before damaging the hard line.

Anyone else encounter this issue? Any ideas for a fix or tip to get it off. Not sure what else to try. If it wasnt a fuel line heat would be my next option. Pretty pissed a small job turned into a real PITA.

Did mine just the other day - its a 2006 LC (build date May 06) with 140K and I believe the fuel filter has never been changed. I used a 14mm line wrench on the fuel line and an small (thin) adjustable wrench to hold the 19mm on the filter. After trying unsuccessfully to turn the 14mm nut on the fuel line, I wrapped the threads of the 14mm with a thin cotton fabric, making a sort of tourniquet around the exposed threads. I saturated this tourniquet with PB Blaster, let it sit for 24 hours, and when I came back the next day was able to turn the 14mm nut on the fuel line without much difficulty.

I ended up purchasing a nicer set of vice grips and cinched them down on the nut. That sucker was seized on there and made a loud crack when it finally gave.

I ended up purchasing a nicer set of vice grips and cinched them down on the nut. That sucker was seized on there and made a loud crack when it finally gave.

This is my go-to as soon as a nut gets even a little rounded. Vice grips can put an enormous clamp force on nearly any shape. Vice grip it and whip out the sledge...

This is my go-to as soon as a nut gets even a little rounded. Vice grips can put an enormous clamp force on nearly any shape. Vice grip it and whip out the sledge...

Funny thing was my cheap-o harbor freight vice grips couldn't cut it and kept slipping off. Decided to go invest in a nice set and it paid off instantly! They gripped the nut and allowed me to turn it. Who would of thought? LOL

Funny thing was my cheap-o harbor freight vice grips couldn't cut it and kept slipping off. Decided to go invest in a nice set and it paid off instantly! They gripped the nut and allowed me to turn it. Who would of thought? LOL
which vice grips did you choose

Just changed the fuel filter in my 100 series and noticed what looked like popeyes sweet tea running out if the old one. I know these can go pretty high mileage before needing a change but thinking I might want to flush the tank depending on what’s inside the old filter. Looks like my filter has been changed a couple times due to rounded threads on inflow side.

Might be placebo affect but accelleration feels noticeably better post replacement.

These are cheap as chips on rockauto.com

91284DEA-A766-416B-AAA1-4611F2EE3E1A.jpeg

Natesfj40, would you mind explaining the procedure before removing the part? I'm unclear as to the preferred way to reduce the pressure before removing the lines.

Sure, i jumpedIn without consulting the forum but realize now that a couple steps would have helped simplify the process. This is what worked for me:

disconnect and remove your battery, this felt prudent given i was working in the garage.

1) loosen fuel cap to reduce fuel pressure (fuel will squirt out when you crack the filter otherwise)

2) place rag under filter and an oil collection pan under truck to get any fuel drips (center with front driver tire, placed up against the tire

3) loosen fuel inflow nut to filter before you touch the fuel filter bracket, i made the mistake of taking the bracket off then having to put it back on so i was able to hold the filter while removing the inflow nut partially

4) remove fuel filter bracket

5) get your clean replacement filter ready and gingerly remove both ends of the fuel filter

6) some fuel will come out of both ends, i placed the old filter in the catch pan under the truck

The rest is common sense stuff, lightly tighten things up before you put the bracket on. Once things seem to be aligned and happy, tighten the bracket up and snug up your line.

I turned the ignition on and off a few times to cycle the fuel pump. She started up and died but on the second restart it was all good.

truck seems to run better with a clean filter

Last edited:
Disconnect wire block along frame rail, under DS passage door. It powers the fuel pump. Then try and start, which relieves fuel pressure from injectors, rails, filter and lines..

*Use a 19mm open end wrench on fuel filter molded on nut.*

**Use a 14mm flare nut wrench on flare nut of hard fuel line.**

Pinch green clip to remove down stream fuel line.

Remove 2 10mm bolts hold in filter and pull it out.

Swap old green clip and white hose clip to new filter.

Place new filter in place.

Add drop of oil to flare nut and hand thread it on filter, sung not tight.

Attach filter back on fender with the two 10mm bolts.

Torque flare nut in with flare nut crows foot, while holding 19mm nut.

Attach fuel hose and clip in.

Plug in wire housing block.

Start the engine any look for leaks.

Fuel Filter FSM 07 (3).JPG

Disconnect wire block along frame rail, under DS passage door. It powers the fuel pump. Then try and start, which relieves fuel pressure from injectors, rails, filter and lines..

*Use a 19mm open end wrench on fuel filter molded on nut.*

**Use a 14mm flare nut wrench on flare nut of hard fuel line.**

Pinch green clip to remove down stream fuel line.

Remove 2 10mm bolts hold in filter and pull it out.

Swap old green clip and white hose clip to new filter.

Place new filter in place.

Add drop of oil to flare nut and hand thread it on filter, sung not tight.

Attach filter back on fender with the two 10mm bolts.

Torque flare nut in with flare nut crows foot, while holding 19mm nut.

Attach fuel hose and clip in.

Plug in wire housing block.

Start the engine any look for leaks.

View attachment 2238878
@2001LC - how important is to disconnect the wire block first? I’m having a hard time disconnecting it. Thanks

@2001LC - how important is to disconnect the wire block first? I’m having a hard time disconnecting it. Thanks
Not super important, it just means that the line will be pressurized when you crack the flare nut on the filter. That's how most people do it, but it's safer/easier to depressurize first.

Thank you!

Not at all, if you let sit without crank/starting engine overnight so fuel pressure bleeds off.

If just after engine shut down, fuel will still be under pressure. So you'll get, more raw fuel as line pulled off filter.

Actually, I no longer cut the power from fuel pump. I just deal with raw fuel, if I must.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom