Front Disc Brake Dust Cover Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally getting around to rebuilding the knuckles to replace the leaky seals and find I need some help.
The truck is a '72 FJ40 with a disc brake front axle, reportedly off of a '78 FJ40.

There are no dust cover back plates behind the rotors.
I expect they belong there but are missing.
The outer grease seal / wiper that came off did not look that old but had tears in it near the metal flange.

1) Please confirm that there should be backer plates for the rotors.
The Toyota brake parts list show left & right dust cover part numbers.

2) Please confirm that the plates bolt in the stack behind the outer grease seal/wiper.
I expect that the thickness of the plates is important in the assembly and is the reason the outer seals were ripped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes there should be dust covers, but they can be eliminated. Sometimes using an eliminator ring (pic below) or just trimming the old dust shield.

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8206.JPG

Back should have a thin metal strip first that fits into the knuckle, followed by rubber seal, then felt, then metal covers.

IMG_8156.JPG

Thank you for the detailed answers and pictures.
Nice looking axle.

The old gold ring with rubber seal that came off had been assembled with no spacer or dust cover.
It was distorted where the 8 bolts had stretched the metal over a diameter on the spindle and had ripped the rubber in those 8 places adjacent to the bolts.

Pictures help, where did u get it? Po? Is it red with a v8? Front and rear disks? Or just front?

Cleg, many wish to remove the dust shields because they trap and hold rocks when wheeling, then the rocks just grind away at everything inside the shields. I believe Marks Off Road has made rings for replacing the shield thickness???

Thanks again.
I'll get some spacer plates.

In case anybody is interested this what the dust seals look like if they get bolted directly to the spindles.
The ruined one on the left was on the axle when I got it.
It is ripped near the bolt holes where it was stretched out of round.

DSC00323.JPG

DSC00322.JPG

Last edited:
I have dust shields and eliminators in stock. You are welcome to call the shop and leave a VM. I will return calls after the funeral today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom