Front Crank seal keeps pushing out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I believe my front main crank seal keeps pushing out. I had a new one put in by one shop, months later, went to another shop and they said the seal pushed out, took it apart and put a new one in and now a month later I checked an oil leak and see the rubber seal again. Pretty sure your not supposed to see the rubber seal(see pic). Maybe I'm wrong. If that's the case where would all that pressure be coming from?

Thanks as always-

UPDATE: as per ajax1, this is a normal amount of exposure but I still hunt the source of the drips.

20170205_100906.jpg

Last edited:
Even if your crank case pressure were too high it would probably do many other things before pushing that seal out. I'm more inclined to think it is a problem with the bore that the seal is pressed into.. as just one example.

OEM seals?

What @bloc said or the seal is installed backward. How badly is the sealing surface of the balancer warn?

Even if your crank case pressure were too high it would probably do many other things before pushing that seal out. I'm more inclined to think it is a problem with the bore that the seal is pressed into.. as just one example.

OEM seals?

Well, unfortunately I didn't see the bore as the truck wasn't serviced by me either time, nor would I know what to look for but I highly doubt they used factory seals. If they are directional then there is a good chance it was installed backwards. 50/50 right. My faith is slim with local shops.

What @bloc said or the seal is installed backward. How badly is the sealing surface of the balancer warn?
Since the condition is unknown, should I get a new harmonic balancer installed with a new factory seal just in case? Having it done by 2 separate shops with repeated results is reaking of poor craftsmanship locally or another symptom.

You will see part of the seal it has a part that v s out like in this pic, the main part with the spring going to the inside you wouldn't see

image.png

Yup if all that disappeared it would be in way deep, could be that if you don't seat the seal evenly or mess it up when putting it in could leak, or if not using Toyota seal and not polishing up any burs or corrison on crank, I usually seat them in a tad further then the old one so seal rides in different spot

If you look at the pic the seal would seat evenly to that first part of the circle with rest of that flanged part sticking out

If you look at the pic the seal would seat evenly to that first part of the circle with rest of that flanged part sticking out

Good to know. Thanks for the expertise. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the leak is for sure coming from there. It's hard to determine as it seems to be whirling around a bit.

I'd check your torque on front crank bolt should be 305 ft lbs if bozos are doing it they might not know the correct torque which will open up big can worms sine oil pump runs off crank if you lose oil pressure engine bearings go bad

Last edited:
Crank bolt torque is 304lbft. Do you have an oil leak that runs and drops. The pic did not really show an active oil leak.

I'd check your torque on front crank bolt should be 325 ft lbs if bozos are doing it they might not know the correct torque which will open up big can worms sine oil pump runs off crank if you lose oil pressure engine bearings go bad

Thanks for the heads up. I don't like to bad mouth mechanics but I am skeptical at all times. I just started my own wrenching and know far less than they do. My only advantage would be that I go by the book and give a $***. As a DD I am still a little at the mercy of the local shops for some things but trying to get ahead of it all.

Crank bolt torque is 304lbft. Do you have an oil leak that runs and drops. The pic did not really show an active oil leak.

It appears that the leak I'd coming from either the PS pump or crank seal. I have a puddle (may be exaggerated) when parked. However it seems to be only when parked on incline. May be trapped when level and drips when in my driveway. At work it doesn't leak on level lot. It also collects on the crank sensor shield. Maybe I'm chasing multiple issues further complicating the situation. I go through about a quart every 1200 miles. Seems like a lot to me.

Power steering very common should be red fluid because you use atf dexron unless someone has used power steering fluid which is brown, your lines look they have fluid on um, most times if you get under truck look at back of the pump you'll see drips, and the power streering lines will be weeping on the high pressure line and low pressure line
Oil pump cover is very common leak and some people blame crank seal when it is pump cover, you have to have crank pulley off to change it , also distributer Oring leak and valve cvr

Power steering very common should be red fluid because you use atf dexron unless someone has used power steering fluid which is brown, your lines look they have fluid on um, most times if you get under truck look at back of the pump you'll see drips, and the power streering lines will be weeping on the high pressure line and low pressure line
Oil pump cover is very common leak and some people blame crank seal when it is pump cover, you have to have crank pulley off to change it , also distributer Oring leak and valve cvr

Those are all good point to check. Thank you. My Valve cover gasket had been done, again, twice (long story). I have already purchased the dist oring when I saw oil in it after i replaced cap and rotor. A PS flush is also on my list. When I turkey based some out the other day it was brown, not red. I'll examine the oil pump cover too. Thanks again everyone. The best.

If you have oil in the distributer that Oring will not fix it there is another Oring that keeps it out but you'll basically need a new distributer from what I've read , it is internal leak of the distributor

If you have oil in the distributer that Oring will not fix it there is another Oring that keeps it out but you'll basically need a new distributer from what I've read , it is internal leak of the distributor

Crap. I remember reading it was possible to get some internal leaking from a bad oring. Worth a shot since I spent 2.99 on it before swapping the whole rig for a lot more.

If what you see of that seal is the protruding lip, it will be relatively soft and easy to deform. Try poking at it a little with something NOT sharp.. if it flexes it is the lip. If it is solid like the OD of most radial oil seals it has pushed out.

But.. yes, now that people brought up the lip it could easily be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom