Front Axle Seals Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N919HJ

SILVER Star
Threads
My LC is a 6/79. My question is, am I hurting anything by driving it while this is happening? I have not put it in to four wheel drive and don't intend to until I get it fixed. I would just like to run around town and give the kids a ride when it is nice.

Brakes are going to be your only concern. If they're REALLY leaking and throwing gear oil all over the brake pads you might have some issues. Many times they leak for years without any real problems.

Brakes are good. It is my understanding that nothing is really spinning in there except for the wheel bearings unless I lock the hubs and engage the four wheel drive. Is this correct?

Yes that is true. If the axle still has gear oil in it, it might even help running it a little bit to get the seals moving a bit. unless they are completely shot it might slow the leak a little. Running in two wheel drive will just have you running the wheel and trunion bearings in gear oil instead of grease.

Drove mine for 3 years with one front axle seal leaking 90 weight.
It would drip about a tablespoon of oil per month down the inside face of the tire.
It made a royal mess but didn't hurt anything.

When disassembled the bearings looked fine although one side was running in a soupy mix of gear oil and wheel bearing grease.
All of the miles were on paved roads, no heavy service.

Thanks for the input. I'm in the process of collecting all the parts. But I want to do all the steering stuff and the front brakes at the same time. Cheers!

Thanks for the input. I'm in the process of collecting all the parts. But I want to do all the steering stuff and the front brakes at the same time. Cheers!
I drove my 1980 BJ40 for several years both on and off road before replacing the inner axle seals and the bearings were fine. There was quite a bit of gunk on the axles that had me worried before changing the seals but it turned out everything inside was ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom