Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard clicking from my front diff on two occasions now while slowly turning but it's been at least 1,000 miles since I've last heard it. Right now my 80 is my daily until mid September - how careful should I be about driving off road until I can get the birfields rebuilt? If I throw in a weekend trip here or there with very light offroading, am I risking jeopardizing my only method of transportation or will the axle likely be fine?
Dude, I'm not advocating this, but I drove my mine for a year crunching like a cement grinder, and when I rebuilt the birfs, she was no worse for wear. It's a LandCruiser. I'm not advocating ignoring an obvious problem, not at all, but they aren't legendary for their delicacy. Drive it as long as you need to, but repair it as soon as possible.

When I first got the 80, I had the front axle rebuilt by the now defunct "Urban Land Cruiser" out of Atlanta. At the time I wasn't aware of any other land cruiser-specific shops, and they appeared to have a decent run business of fixing land cruisers, so I am not intending to flame them. However, this is my "toy" and doesn't drive much/far so I don't feel like I got the miles out of the rebuild. Probably 5-6k a year since it is brought out for fun things or bouncing around in a vehicle that gets the "looks" and the "gas pump questions"

During Covid, she sat a bit and I'd guess it dried up a gasket maybe because she's gotten a drip on the driver's side. I went through all the phases of denial, but now I have come to grips with my responsibilities. I will start putting together the kit of things I'll need to "getter done".

I wanted to say I appreciate this thread existing. It helped me come to grips with the issue and realize that I wasn't powerless to deal with it. It also helped me realize I've got some time since I just noticed it.

Edit: I did find this video on Youtube that helped me understand some of what was written in this FAQ: 6th Gear Garage - Youtube - Front Axel Service

Last edited:
I'm on the putting things back together part of my rebuild, and my knuckle is beginning to rotate at like 4.5lbs of force on my spring gauge. It' s supposed to be between 5.5-9 right? Do I need to add more shims or less to increase the resistance?

I'm on the putting things back together part of my rebuild, and my knuckle is beginning to rotate at like 4.5lbs of force on my spring gauge. It' s supposed to be between 5.5-9 right? Do I need to add more shims or less to increase the resistance?
Less....ignore me.

Any recommendations for axle rebuild kits in 2023? Guessing @cruiserdan doesnt sell them anymore.
Cruiser Brothers or Cruiser Outfitters, just specify OEM quality KOYO and intended use.

I've worked with both companies and they've been great Cruiser brothers does carry terrain tamer so I got there burfield greaser tool also. Pretty cool handy piece of kit.

I added a short video I made on the birf greaser, with the new Mr t spindle spec being needle bearing over bushings I'm paying extra attention to birf greasing.

Wits end axle poser is fun too, tape or magnet to the door open for you to look at while doing the job.

Watch a couple YouTube videos and having that poster you'll be able to do a blindfolded after the first time 👍🍻

Have Genuine Toyota kit with Koyo bearings in stock. PM me if you like one.
Look like I need to add you to my vendor list

Any recommendations for axle rebuild kits in 2023? Guessing @cruiserdan doesnt sell them anymore.

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. All Japanese kits featuring parts from Koyo, NOK, Joint Fuji, etc and step-by-step instructions. We've been assembling and offering knuckle kits for three decades and are a longtime supporter of Mud and the TLCA.

Purchase 24/7 Here:

Or call and chat with our parts professionals. 801-563-1277

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. All Japanese kits featuring parts from Koyo, NOK, Joint Fuji, etc and step-by-step instructions. We've been assembling and offering knuckle kits for three decades and are a longtime supporter of Mud and the TLCA.

Purchase 24/7 Here:

I used cruiser outfitters on my axles, was a nice kit from them :D

The Terrain Tamer kits are good, but the felts are really thick. It takes three hands to get the retainer covers back on. And once you do, the swivel torque increases dramatically. I'd recommend you check the trunnion bearing turning torque before and after you screw the half moons back on.

Don't Mess Around - Your Time is Valuable
Call Cruiser Outfitters and they have Everything you Need and Price and Quality are Aligned.
Don't forget the 54mm Socket!

Get Pallidium Grease, Gloves, Aluminum Pans, & Diff Oil Locally.

Likely your Wheel Bearings are Fine and can be Cleaned and Repacked. I bought Timkins to Replace but existing were fine.
Ebay and Rock Auto was Cheapest.

**Make sure you have some Extra M6 Bolts with M10 Heads in case one on Wipers Breaks off or is already Broke

All good advice ∆∆∆ I wouldn't mess around with wheel bearings get Koyo and this will set your baseline for new bearings and service interval, cheap insurance.

Depending on the condition of your brakes and I'm a big fan of factory quality install and forget. You might want to throw on new calipers, pads and rotors with those new bearings and the axle rebuild, for me it seems like every time I've got something all tore apart I have to go back and do it again so now I'm in the habit of doing it all at once.

A good example was the p0401 I got in a intermittently on and off for a couple years, last year I tore apart my 1fz and did a full refresh, I had acquired all three of the components for under the intake manifold, should have done it then and I knew it.

Just suggesting while you're doing something anything you can get into do it all at once.

Most importantly congratulations and have fun.

Screenshot_20231115-104427.png

Last edited:

Purchase 24/7 Here:

This is where I shop now that my cleats went in the trophy case.

Anyone have an alternative to the wits end offset axle seal driver?

seems like wits end has gone MIA with my money

I'm thinking of turning one for myself over the holiday weekend. Along with all the other drivers needed for front wheel work.

I'm planning on using aluminum for the seals and steel for the bearings. I'm going to use a common handle for them, so they'll all have the same threaded hole in the center.

If you paid for them with a credit card, contact your card issuer. You should be able to get the money back.

You can use a properly sized socket or driver to tap it in a little further. The witsend tool of course is nice because it takes out all the guess work, and keeps it straight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom