| From new to old | A slow LX470 build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So after much chasing around and waiting, the PDC that showed the axles in stock actually did not have them so I now will have to reboot my axles or get aftermarket models (which id rather not do). Gonna order the boot kits and do that job when the spare cash and time permits. Sometime within the next year I’d like to get into a car with better MPG since I’m doing more driving lately, and I can use the 100 for weekend trips and camping more.

So I’ve been stock piling up some stuff for the ol 100, most of it is stuff that doesn’t necessarily need to be replaced right now, but because of the lack of proper documentation and the mileage of the truck I’m gonna do it as a preventative measure. The PO told me he had the t-belt and water pump done approximately 15k miles ago but I can’t seem to find the paperwork for that, and there’s not a sticker under the hood showing when it was done last. I get the parts for really cheap so I don’t see any good reason not to just do it for peace of mind.

Anywho, I’ve got the following parts stowed away at work ready for a free weekend when I can recruit my brother to help install this stuff.

-Timing belt/waterpump (part# 13568-09070/16100-09201)
-OEM reman alternator (part# 27060-50260-84)
-OEM reman starter w/intake gaskets (part# 28100-50070-84)
-OEM thermostat/gasket plus 2 gallons of Red (part# 90916-03100/16346-50010) Toyota coolant
-OEM power steering pump (this is one that’s necessary right now, it’s whining and making a terrible racket even after flushing with new fluid)
-OEM drive belt
-OEM output shaft seal
-OEM brake pads/shims/rotors (front and rear) (these are going to be necessary before too long so I figured I’ll replace this stuff when I do the P/S pump)
-12qt Toyota ATF for transmission flush and P/S flush

And I think that’s everything for now. I’ll update this as I install the stuff and mention anything I find along the way. I daily drive this cruiser and it’s been a pleasure so far. I’ve put about 5,000 miles on it since I bought it last year.

Edit: working on part #’s as I get time throughout the day

Last edited:
It’s a never ending story for us all isn’t it lol
Never ending! I bought parts faster than I could get them installed 🤣

I have a huge pile of OEM parts (the yen tanked last year and I seized the opportunity to buy cheap parts from Impex), all waiting to go on:

• Radiator, all hoses and clamps, tees, t-stat, overflow bottle, fan shroud (just installed, since my original radiator split a few weeks ago)
  • Muffler, y-pipe, clamps, gaskets, hangers, hardware
  • Front and rear UCAs and LCAs, AHC shock bushings, hardware
  • Motor/diff mounts
  • AHC globes and hoses, rear springs
  • Throttle body
  • PS and transmission fluid hoses/clamps
  • Various soft parts, bushings, linkages, gaskets
There's probably more, ha.

Never ending! I bought parts faster than I could get them installed 🤣

I have a huge pile of OEM parts (the yen tanked last year and I seized the opportunity to buy cheap parts from Impex), all waiting to go on:

• Radiator, all hoses and clamps, tees, t-stat, overflow bottle, fan shroud (just installed, since my original radiator split a few weeks ago)
  • Muffler, y-pipe, clamps, gaskets, hangers, hardware
  • Front and rear UCAs and LCAs, AHC shock bushings, hardware
  • Motor/diff mounts
  • AHC globes and hoses, rear springs
  • Throttle body
  • PS and transmission fluid hoses/clamps
  • Various soft parts, bushings, linkages, gaskets
There's probably more, ha.
Nothing wrong with that at all! It’s the good thing about having a cruiser, knowing that the work you put into it will reward you with years of service afterwards.

Took the 100 to the mountains for our 10th anniversary and bagged a couple shots with the new Fujifilm. Even though we didn’t do any wheeling, the cruiser is happiest in the mountains!

DSCF0014.jpeg

DSCF0028.jpeg

Nice rig! I have a 2000 LX myself (white too) and I have a nearly identical build planned. How do you like the ironman suspension? Was it a stage 2 or three? I believe both stage 2 and 3 has diff drop for better CV alignment.

How's the bumper from ironmam? Really heavy? Did you have to compensate with heavier coils?

Nice rig! I have a 2000 LX myself (white too) and I have a nearly identical build planned. How do you like the ironman suspension? Was it a stage 2 or three? I believe both stage 2 and 3 has diff drop for better CV alignment.

How's the bumper from ironmam? Really heavy? Did you have to compensate with heavier coils?
Thank you! I actually haven’t installed or purchased any lift for it yet. I decided to put that money towards maintenance items first, but a lift will be going on eventually. But you’re right, the stage 2 and 3 kits come with a diff drop. I’m still working out choosing between gas and foam shocks.

The bumper is amazing quality and not too heavy as to where it made it stinkbug. I got mine on a discount, but I wouldn’t hesitate to pay full price for one again. When I inevitably get a 200 sometime down the road, an Ironman bumper will go on it as well. I don’t have a winch in mine yet, but a winch will be what makes it squat down and be a hindrance to ride/driving quality and looks. Still working out which model I want to go with for that as well.

I'm looking at the nitro stage 2, the shop that's gonna install them says people have good luck with them and they hold up in the cold better than fox, he said they ride better than OME as well. Not sure about the foam only that they are pricier. 😁

But yeah I was considering a slee or dissent but with the amount of deer around here I'm strongly leaning towards a more protective style bumper. The ironman looks amazing too.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the nitro stage 2, the shop that's gonna install them says people have good luck with them and they hold up in the cold better than fox, he said they ride better than OME as well. Not sure about the foam only that they are pricier. 😁

But yeah I was considering a slee or dissent but with the amount of deer around here I'm strongly leaning towards a more protective style bumper. The ironman looks amazing too.
I can definitely recommend the Ironman bumper! There are a ton of deer where I’m at too… Wish I had a nice bar for my Tacoma 😅

IMG_6060.jpeg

So a few things….

Been really thinking about long term investment in the cruiser and I’ve all but made my decision on a few big projects coming soon to the cruiser.

1. Install the TransGo shift kit, there’s nothing wrong with my transmission at the moment, in fact it drives and shifts really nicely. The trucks got 289k on it now, and it behaves exactly as it should. The only reason I’m investing in this, is because of the other big project!

2. The elate supercharger kit! I’ve thrown around the idea of finding a used TRD unit but honestly for similar money, I’d rather have new parts and piece of mind. Read through a few install threads from other members here and it’s definitely within the realm of possibility for me to do myself in a weekend.

While I’m doing the SC install, I’ll go ahead put on the new starter and all the other misc parts I’ve got still in my garage and get it all done at once. I’ve developed a small pinhole on the bottom of my rad that doesn’t leak any discernible amount of fluid, but has a small amount of pink crust from the coolant around the edge of the spot. I’ll look into a new radiator and possibly transmission cooler unit as well… but that will come later on and I’ve got time to decide if that’s even something I want/need to do. I’ll keep this thread updated when I finally get around to doing some actual work.

Finally got around to taking the side steps off and doing the diff fluid change. I meant to do the diffs months ago but things have been crazy and I’ve lacked the motivation after work and everything else.

The rear diff had been changed in the last 10k miles for sure. It still had a golden hue to it, just more evidence that this thing had been properly cared for by its past owner. The others were a bit darker, but the fluid wasn’t burnt or anything like that. Replaced all the plugs with new ones and new washers as well.

Took it for a short spin around the yard to make sure everything was in order, and I have to say… it looks so much different without those steps on!

IMG_7181.jpeg

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7184.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom