Fluid flowing/gurgling or rod knock noise from the engine - 1FZ FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
So my buddy finished cleaning up and doing a whole bunch of maintenance in the engine bay ('97 LX450) including fixing an oil pump leak (with kit from Wits End), new pump, new thermostat, heater control valve, filters, replacing all the coolant hoses including bypassing the rear heater core, new plugs, new 150A Sequoia alternator, pulleys, belts, fixed a radiator leak, fresh fluids all around - collant, engine, tranny, diffs, tcase.

Turns the engine on and everything sounds good - except this loud noise of what sounds like fluid flowing/draining through a pipe. My friend's been wrenching since he was 14 and until recently worked on diesel busses for the city - so not a road side or weekend mechanic 😁

But even he was somewhat stumped initially, as we lay under the engine and listened to noise. The noise is so loud that after the engine rpm drops at idle, we could hear it standing next to the driver side door. I asked him what's going through his mind and he says "rod knock" maybe :D Then we both thought it sounded more like fluids flowing and then he wondered if it was some fluid overflowing. Anyways, without much adieu, I present to you an audio (video actually but ignore the visual) of the said noise and wonder if someone can provide some input :)

Thanks!

Yeah that is a little bizarre it has the same rhythm as rod knock but does sound like fluid. This is going to sound dumb but did you check the oil level, maybe it is overfull?
Yes, overflowing oil was my friend's 2nd guess - he's going to check it tomorrow afternoon. FWIW, I did not hear this noise before he did all the maintenance/mods.

PS fluid? Check the reservoir.

Also check all fluid levels.
Engine off: Check engine oil and PS oil level, coolant level
Engine running and warm: Transmission fluid levels.

Also: Did he torque the harmonic balancer to 304 LB-FT? This is critical since it drives the engine oil pump and PS pump.

Did he torque the harmonic balancer to 304 LB-FT? This is critical since it drives the engine oil pump and PS pump.

that would be my guess. i have seen it several times and even scored some cheap cruisers thanks to that or a bad PS pump rebuild :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom