FJ80 rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to own an FJ80 these days and found this guy near my place. But the rust issues seems not good. I've attached pics from the seller trying to get an idea of whether it's still fixable. The listing price is around $3k. Let me know what you think of this rust.
4.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg

2.jpg

Now, I am normally a "go for it" type when it comes to rust, as I live east of the Mississippi. I have seen worse; HOWEVER, the picture I am not seeing is how bad the rear crossmember is. I see that the metal in the area around the spare is coming apart. I would bet if you look in the area between the spare tire mount and the rear bumper crossmember, that thing is Swiss cheese. Probably not even roadworthy.

If it is roadworthy, getting ANY bolt off of it will be a nightmare - breakage, rounding, drilling, tapping. You should get one that is rust free or very little rust that maybe has other areas to address. Try expanding your search south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Like they say.,.. If you have to ask then you already know the answer.

That is a $300 POS that you drive until the wheels fall off, not $3,000.

Seriously.... I would not take that truck home even if it was free.

From time to time an 80 reaches the end of its life. Would say this one is long lost.

If you're looking for a cheap beater that'll be fine. Don't expect it to ever be worth anything and it will be a B---- to work on

The spare still has molding whiskers on it, it's probably the original, never been lowered. Good luck getting that thing down now...

Nope. That's a no-go. It's a trail right IF you can get it apart. That's a parts truck at this point.

What ^^^they^^^ all said. In some States it wouldn't pass inspection due to the rusted frame. It's a Parts truck (interior if not trashed, glass) at best if you have a barn or large field to store it in. Not worth much.

Hi guys,
I'm back with some pics of a 92 FJ80. Want to hear your thoughts on this one.
IMG_5369.jpg
IMG_5358.jpg
IMG_5361.jpg
IMG_5363.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg

Certainly looks better than the first one. Check the bottom of the rear wheel wells, front and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom