FJ60 Gas miledge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW-----I am planning on 10 MPG and if I get more than that I will be like "AMEN". But I have a back up. I have a 2003 Kawasaski KLR650 that gets 50 MPG. I use that when I don't want to pay for the gas or when the weather is nice. But It is febuary in southern Georgia and The Cruiser is so so helpful in the morning.

My wife wants me to sell my bike, I flatly refuse and Hell No....I WILL NOT!!!!... She still tells me to sell it though. LOL

how am i getting 300 and no one else is? that's really just 12 or so miles per gallon...

250 miles divided by 18 gallons is 13.888 miles per gallon...

your 300 miles divided by a supposed 12 gallons is 25 miles per gallon..... unless you have a stock BJ60 with the 5 speed then not very likely even then still sorta pushing it...

and we are talking miles not kilometers and gallons not liters for those that may have miss understood somewhere if anywhere.

...my tank is more than 18 gallons...it's almost 24. I didn't say 12 gallon tank, i said 12 miles per gallon.

from the owner's manual, page 154, "Fuel Tank capacity, gal. (imp. gal., liter): 23.8 (19.8, 90)

Last edited:
Never thought about the ODO not being corrected. If I'm getting an indicated 10mpg with 33's/4.10, what might a more realistic # be? This might be a simple conversion, but I don't know it.

...my tank is more than 18 gallons...it's almost 24. I didn't say 12 gallon tank, i said 12 miles per gallon.

from the owner's manual, page 154, "Fuel Tank capacity, gal. (imp. gal., liter): 23.8 (19.8, 90)

you are 100% correct i miss read your post I appologize.

300 miles ÷ 23.8 gallons = 12.61 miles/gallon, right?

That is exactly right tho most will not drive till its empty. I can assume you are getting better miledge than most or maybe others are not taking into account of the spedo being off with larger tires.

Generally when i fill my rig up it will take right around 20ish gallons of fuel (thats with the needle laying nearly exactly on the top line of the "E")

I get better than 19 on the freeway and 12 around town.

11 in the city

13 on the highway

Running a Weber 38, 3.73's , and 33's.

I need to properly jet my carb.

Do you think I would benefit from a distributor recurve?

After 34 tanks some highway but mostly in the city type stuff i am getting :
2f, stock gears, dui, 31.5's

__________Rаw_______Corrected
Average___12.9_______14.0
MAX______16.4_______17.8
MIN_______11.54______12.5

cruiser pr0n

img_8067.jpg

After my Veeate swap 5.3 4l60E 4.10 33's .... Still sucking at 12mpg :frown: but I can do 85 all day now ;)

Last edited:
Never thought about the ODO not being corrected. If I'm getting an indicated 10mpg with 33's/4.10, what might a more realistic # be? This might be a simple conversion, but I don't know it.

check out this website:
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Plug in the stock size, then compare to the size you are running.
multiply the miles driven by the % difference.

example:
FJ60 stock tire = HR78-15 (and these are so readily available:lol:)
= P235/70R15

P235/70R15 compared to 31x10.50R15 = speedometer difference of 10.79% to slow. Or when you are going 60MPH the speedo reads 54 MPH. This is a real quick way to get a speeding ticket by the way!:doh:

so take you total miles driven x 1.1079 and this will give you the actual miles you have traveled. then divide this by the gallonss of gas you just filled up with!

196 miles x 1.1079 = 217/18 gallons = 12.05 MPG

compared to 196/18 gals = 10.88:doh: and then you start worrying OMG what's wrong with my rig.....Nothing

hope this helps:cheers:

I have the 31's so I want to lower my rear end gear to 1. correct the speedo difference and 2. Improve my gas mileage.

Any thoughts suggestions on ratios I should be looking for?

^^^ useful information! I applaud thee for thus equation.:beer:

OEM parts Tune-up...............: $140ish
JimC rebuilt carb..................: $299ish
Gaining MPG behind a desk...: $Priceless.

Last edited:
You must have been coasting down one big hill with your engine off!

Why is that? Its a HJ60 5spd, that's not anything unbelievable.

My brother has a HJ60 Auto w/ 37's and 4.88's he gets about 17-18mpg. :meh:

Still trying to figure mine out...I have a link to a site in my signature block that I'm using to track my fill ups.

Last fuel up 13.3MPG. Not accounting for running 31's so more like 14.6MPG.

Not bad considering most of my driving is city. Although I do go pretty easy on the skinny pedal.

i get ten mpg no matter where ive driven so far??
:frown: i got 32 11.50 tires, i recently got the truck and i rebuilt the carb myself and everything is stock i have a cat but no muffler (it fell off)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom