Offically an FJ60 guy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Officially an FJ60 guy.

I trading away my built 1979 Jeep CJ-7 in favor a family friendly 1984 FJ60. I lost my ass on the deal, but I can make this one just as capable without all the coin.

How can people drive rigs that reek like cat pee? I have no idea, but I had to remove the rear cargo carpet and pad. I left the carpet on the rear of the seat though. After 2 bottles of Febrezze, I can now say it's mine. Next I had to "black out" the front grill, I hate chrome, and the chrome sticker was peeling.

One thing I have noticed is the water temp gauge like's to hang out at the top end of the white. I have plans to change the water pump soon. The block and radiator have been flushed, new upper and lower hoses, new thermo and new fan clutch.

Next is a pre-smog test. I have hooked up a few loose vacuum hoses and added the missing air element. Just waiting on time to get down there and hope for the best. I have plans to acquire an emissions manual and FSM. I have until 9/10/10 until my temp tags run out.

I was bored last night, bolted up my winter set of rims/tires (265/70R17) from my '04 Tundra, just to see how it looked and how it rode. WOW!! I am very disappointed in whom ever installed the wheels before, I would guess "maybe" 30-40 lbs of torque on the lug nuts. (Yes, I do realize I am missing a lug on the front and rear...)

But, the drive afterward was amazing, it felt like a whole new rig. I did notice a rub on the leaf springs at full turn. I think stock Tundra wheels are 17x8, with 4" backspacing. The ones that where on there where 15x8 with 3 3/4" backspacing. I may just adjust the stops and run it, or add 1/4" spacers as well. The Tundra turns like a bus, so I wouldn't be missing the turn radius.

Anyway, thanks to all those who make research do-able. I appreciate your trial and errors to those of us who can learn from it.:wrench::beer::beer::beer::wrench:
fj60.jpg

side1.jpg
side2.jpg

Last edited:
You're probably also rubbing on the calipers, might want to check that out before the next drive.

Nice rig though!

You're probably also rubbing on the calipers, might want to check that out before the next drive.

Nice rig though!

I hope I would have noticed caliper rub while installing, and initial drive,but I just jacked the front end up to make sure. Wheels spin free, 5/16" or so of clearance to the calipers. Thanks for the input though!

Last edited:
welcome :flipoff2:

looks like the dreaded saggin wagon suspension has set in.

if you thought thread torque made a difference, wait til you get new suspension....

Had the smog pre-test done today...FAIL.

I new going in that it probably would, but the FJ overheated at the end of the test. Smog guy was pretty cool about everything and mentioned it may have a blown head gasket. He was actually daring enough to use his machine to "sniff" the fumes coming out of the radiator...and it detected exhaust, which means head gasket...BUMMED.

results that failed:

Idle-HC (PPM) 370 should be under 150

2500RPM- CO(%) 1.95 should be under 1.2

So I got to trade a near done project for a far-from done project.:flipoff2:

Is it really worth living in Kalifornia? I don't know if I could live with all the control over the cars, guns, and daily life. :D

JK.. Great looking rig, btw. Nice clean slate to start the modding. Good luck with getting it on the road.

Looks like I have a "free" week off while the company I work for laid us all off. ARGH!!

This means I need advice on what I can do on the cheap, and make it More Better!! I've done the 2lo mod, love it, FREE and I will use it.

Here is my take on this project:

OME makes a good kit, but still be SUA for 2k? I think I would be happier with Chevy's SOA with bilstiens. Up front just run stock SOA and do it right. Would have to run 35's and re-gear to 4:56.

The motor is my main concern as I need to get way down there to change the head gasket anyway, I'm sure a rebuild will be needed once I see inside this 190000 motor. So, I have already had my mind thinking on a Chevy TBI/nv4500 or rebuilt 2F/H55F. Either option is better than what I have now. Neither is cheap, but my wife's car is getting old and she may have to "borrow" my Tundra, so the 60 may be my new DD/wheeler.

I also acquired an almost complete interior from an FJ62 for free, gray is better than brown. I'm leaning toward the Smitybilt as a console and a better sound system (PO had the unit wired directly to the battery and the speaker wires where just twisted wire to make a connection, not even electrical tape).
More pics of 60's are fun.

rearcargo.jpg

rear.jpg

passfront.jpg

fj60front.jpg

driverseat.jpg

dash.jpg

stuff.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a nice rig!

The good news is that the grey interior will likely solve your kitty litter smell. The bad new is that V8 swap and "on the cheap" don't go together, regardless of which engine you choose. I was looking at my post swap savings account balance right before opening your thread and didn't like the wrench I felt in my gut. But, that feeling passes every time I drive my rig.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Last edited:
Like oyajijon said, swaps "ain't cheap", but IMO, the overall benefit is worth the cost if you're going to keep the rig and DD it.

I have the red with gray interior in my 89 fj62 and really like it.

I'm going to be redoing my entire truck over the next year and may go gray and black with more durable yet comfortable materials.
The gray is very nice though:cheers:

Sorry to hear about your head gasket problems, but if your just looking @ $$ and Cents, you'll still likely come out "cheaper" with a rebuild or a swap to a later FJ engine, than a swap to the V8.

In response to YupYup, The People's Republic is a beautiful state over all. In a short amount of time, you can go from mountains to the ocean to a desert.

The landscape (what doesn't shift underneath you:lol:) is absolutely stunning and some many of the cities and towns in PRK are astounding.

It's the state and local government that's f'd up, and short of a revolt, there's just not much that is going to fix it:frown:

Oh, I know swaps are not cheap, I have done one in a Jeep. The small things add up.

I don't hate Cali, just some of the stupid stuff they pull. I recall one evening drive I tried to count how many early 80's rigs I saw, needless to say I saw 1, and I was in it. Smog here is stuck at '75 and later for no reason.

I think overall, after everything was said and done, I would be much happier with a solid V8. I know the cost is high, but so can a rebuild on a 2F. I'm no accountant, but I will keep adding things up and saving until I pull the trigger on a decision.

Until then, I want to do the small things to make it More Better.

Found some time to tear into the interior.
nointerior.jpg

I think most of the smell was bird seed.
seed.jpg

The 60 did pay me $1.47 in change for the cleaning.

I may just have to bite the bullet and have my brown seats reupholstered gray, or buy some gray covers. My seats are in way better shape than the freebies.

That center console looks awful! Want to sell it?

While trying to save money and upgrade this rig, I came upon a deal I could not let get by.

A great guy, with a meticulously maintained 1985 FJ60, had an engine fire and was saleing the whole rig.

The suspension had just been upgraded to CCOT's lift and has newer 33" BFG A/T's. Some of the interior is still in great shape as well. This will get my gray conversion done.

Stay tuned as my sagon wagon gets off the ground and parts will soon be posted in the for sale section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom