FJ60 Campteq Camper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, since it's in hand, what are the core dimensions and thickness? Those looks like custom cast tanks welded on a generic core. I like it a lot.

@cruisermatt

That lets you keep AC as well? Looks like a pretty nice piece.

So, since it's in hand, what are the core dimensions and thickness? Those looks like custom cast tanks welded on a generic core. I like it a lot.

@cruisermatt

12x22x2.75”

looks like 2.5”inlet/outlet so should mate right up to my setup. I’m excited, I read a 50 page thread of a guy with one of these cummins in a jeep YJ. He air cooled it, expanded injectors 15%, and cranked the fuel screw and was getting 35-38mpg.
I’ll probably do these exact mods as he had no issues long term and a lot of gain. All I want is to go uphill a little faster. I feel like I’m exactly in between 3rd and 4th gear power bands

This was the only needle not lighting on the speed hut gauges so I sent her back to have it reworked. Speedhut was great. While it was there paid 28$ to have them add a warning light.
p9Jtene.jpg

Last edited:
Anyways, with this gauge done now I can finally install the @TRAIL TAILOR a/c bezel. Truck is currently getting the timing cover resealed. When I pulled it and powdercoated it this winter I used aerobic sealant per the ESM but apparently was the wrong choice and there is some seepage. Diesel shop is helping me out since getting the cover back on is a bitch, due to the PTO bearing. Next week I have @torfab helping with random electrics since I'm terrible at it (I've bought some books and am learning!) Seat heaters for school Manns and a webasto diesel air heater going in the back.

Do the Scheel-Mann seats sit higher than the stock seats (or your old HJ61 seats) with the planted brackets? Did you have to cut your floor at all to fit them?

Thanks man, your build looks so good.

the highest my seats ever sat was with sor new foam bottoms. My head touched the roof. These are good... no issues. No floor cutting or anything, this was probably the one mod I’ve had that bolted in with no issues

12x22x2.75”

looks like 2.5”inlet/outlet so should mate right up to my setup. I’m excited, I read a 50 page thread of a guy with one of these cummins in a jeep YJ. He air cooled it, expanded injectors 15%, and cranked the fuel screw and was getting 35-38mpg.
I’ll probably do these exact mods as he had no issues long term and a lot of gain. All I want is to go uphill a little faster. I feel like I’m exactly in between 3rd and 4th gear power bands

That's thicker than I thought it would be! Looks like an awesome setup.

Well she’s at @torfab now. Seems best place to mount the webasto air heater will be under the passenger seat. Not sure which direction to vent it from there to heat the cab (can’t vent backwards w rear seat folded up) but those guys are figuring it out.

also getting a 12v power in the rear quarter for hopefully a fridge and some electrics cleaned up. scheel Mann seat heaters getting Wired as well. Removing the webasto coolant heater (that w custom mount will be for sale soon)

common theme here: electrics. I need to learn how to do this.

You didn’t like the Webasto coolant heater?

You didn’t like the Webasto coolant heater?
I did like it, it worked fine. But I found myself never using it since we don't get below 20 here... my schedule just changes so much I never set a timer to have it warm before I started it. Ultimately it was to get the coolant warmer so id have some heat while driving in cold weather. But my radiator is just too efficient for the diesel, as soon as I got above 55 it was all cold again. Im hoping putting the giant intercooler in front of it will help. We will see...

Got to check out @torfab great work in the daylight today. All the wiring is clean and tidy, everything looks great.
The webasto is awesome. 15 mins and whole cab was about 85 degrees. I was worried about its vent placement with it being under the passenger seat but apparently heat rises ;) and the cab isn't very big so it works well. This wasn't even with all the window insulation on. I still need to thinsulate the back quarter panels too.
Seat heaters get super warm as well.
uc51grL.jpg

Intake side
yTfGyK6.jpg

12v power in the rear for when I figure out my next move. Debating fridge vs cooler still. I bought a Joolca water heater for hot showers and the sink attachment and still debating on how integrated I want everything. I don't think I need the back to be a full time rv, but those troopy builds inspire me. I think more camping in the new setup will propel me in a direction.

unBIpsv.jpg

Heading on an almost 3 week road trip to Joshua tree and back in a few weeks. Skiing on the way down, flying jets out of el Centro for a couple weeks with the navy, climbing Joshua tree on the way back and hopefully by then the rain is over and done in Washington.

Next steps:
-Intercooler install. Probably will get that done up over the next week but no pipe bending/plumbing until after my road trip. If anything my radiator could use some reduced airflow!

-Rear seat recover. I have the matching materials from scheel Mann but I'm praying this doesn't cost a fortune. I have all the rear seat hardware getting powder coat as we speak. My appointment with the guy is mid feb.

-Carpet install. I have the @TRAIL TAILOR carpet from like 4-5 years ago. have mass loaded vinyl to go under it. Im anxious to put this in but it seems tedious so I keep putting it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom