Builds FJ45SWB R/T from the Land of Enchantment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While most of the body was able to escape the rust demons the bed of the SWB was not so lucky. The under bed bracing design by Toyota was rather unfortunate in that it was and ideal breeding ground for rust. They used U-shaped braces spot welded to the underside corrugated bed floor resulting in catch basins for dirt and water with no way out. Thus after the blasting it was quite clear I had my work cut out for me to get the bed back into good form.

I have nightmares just looking back at these pictures.
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

I ended up removing 75% of the braces underneath to get to all the rust issues. I think I counted around 400 spot welds I had to drill out :cry:

IMG_0298.JPG

The amount of metal work in front of me was intimidating. I have been spoiled by the rust free Cali 45s I've had the pleasure of working on previously. I bought a metal brake and got to work making bed rib patches and new channels.

IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG

Thank goodness for guys like @Awl_TEQ that make such repairs easier with awesome products like his rear sill channel.
IMG_0326.JPG

After about a months work I had something resembling a bed again :D

IMG_0438.JPG

I honestly didn't do the best job taking enough pictures to document all the work that went into the bed but it was substantial, this is some but not all of the metal I cut out and replaced.

IMG_0375.JPG

I may have gotten a little heavy handed with the seam sealer but I wanted to make damn sure the rust never comes back!!
IMG_0586.JPG

Anyways after more hours than I care to remember the body work was done on the bed and she was ready for paint :D

GTYQ3259.JPG

NPRF5504.JPG
OBOP3469.JPG

So @Awl_TEQ makes a SWB bed sill? I contacted him a while ago and was given the impression (I sent him pics of my rusted sill) that this was something he didn’t have. Maybe he made a template from what was left of yours?

Hey Paul. He doesn’t make a SWB specific sill but his early 40 sill will work with some minor modifications. The hardest part was grafting it into the existing SWB sill which extends all the way to the rear wheel opens unlike a 40 which stops just past the curve of the quarter panel.

Have had a few shortys over the years and that bed was far better than any I had! Are you shooting for a replica of the ad? These look so cool restored to perfection in white. Looking great!

I've been an avid fan of the 40 series going on 20 years now, ever since I first laid eyes on a FJ40 during my freshman year at Clemson. Since then I've been obsessed with them and blessed to have own every iteration of 40/45 sold stateside except for one - the FJ45swb removable top, the unicorn of the 40 series. For the better part of a decade I was determined to buy one, but unfortunately they were few and far between with their run only lasting from mid 1964 to the end of 1965 when they were phased out in favor of the new FJ45lp-b. It seemed every couple of years one would pop up for sale, but they were usually bastardy modified by a PO or rusted and mangled by the hard life these trucks lived back in the day. Finally, in May of 2017, one popped up on ebay that was very complete and original, albeit rustier than I normally like to deal with and sporting a hideous PO paint job. However I couldn't let the chance to own my unicorn pass. I bid early and often, likely paying more than she was really worth, but that didn't matter to me. I was finally able to purchase my dream.

And this was her.

View attachment 1984842View attachment 1984844View attachment 1984848View attachment 1984849View attachment 1984850

Beautiful isn't she :D
Is that the Disney 45 in the background?

Nice job on the bed

Have had a few shortys over the years and that bed was far better than any I had! Are you shooting for a replica of the ad? These look so cool restored to perfection in white. Looking great!

Hey Whitey. It’s surprising how bad these SWB beds rusted compared to LPBs but it all has to do with those under bed supports. I wonder if Toyota realized this flaw when designing the LPBs and maybe that’s why they switched up the brace design or maybe it was just coincidence.

As for the ad I’m not going for an exact replica, rather this time I’m going to take a few liberties compared to my WY-RE-KA build. Namely I’ve decided to go with an OME lift instead of having custom stock springs made and using Racer65s 16” rims so I can run a larger stock looking tire to compliment the lift.

I’m letting the cat out of the bag a little bit here but I decided not to go back with the original beige but rather Seminole red for a little more pop :D

1B92BC48-3CBA-4A98-876A-4C23EB4A1467.jpeg

7.50-16 tires so roughly 32”x7” compared to the stock 29” tires.

35182DA2-E6F6-4713-8A02-ED3767B434AA.jpeg
5F4060F3-7346-4A38-971F-8A94F9B52252.jpeg

E6DCD796-DA37-4D91-997D-BE620A43F82F.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that the Disney 45 in the background?

Ha! That would be cool but it’s my ‘67 LP-B. It’s the first 45 I ever bought about a decade ago and has been in the midst of a 1HZ swap for about 5 years now :eek:

Ha! That would be cool but it’s my ‘67 LP-B. It’s the first 45 I ever bought about a decade ago and has been in the midst of a 1HZ swap for about 5 years now :eek:
That thing is nice

Gonna have to change my sig line as Getting Clemson'd now means freshhh! Digging the mods mate!

Dang, musta done it after Wyreeka!

While I was cranking away at the body work for the past month or so I had my dad pushing forward on blasting and wire wheeling all the old nuts, bolts, and other bits that needed to be prepped for getting a fresh coat of yellow zinc chromate. Did I mention he’s retired now and works for free? He’s been a great addition to the team :grinpimp:

56A1EF3A-AECE-4342-9F26-9BCBB20D4C72.jpeg
EE1761A1-7887-420B-ABD7-058CD4895ACE.jpeg
C11AC5E0-35D9-41D9-87A7-A4BC8217B36F.jpeg
5CA3D1ED-BA4E-4A46-AAFD-566C9CECA8DD.jpeg
0E47775B-9817-49B8-809F-4B078733B69F.jpeg

Gonna have to change my sig line as Getting Clemson'd now means freshhh! Digging the mods mate!

Thanks Cult! Don’t worry mate I haven’t lost my love of patina! I’m just waiting on a worthy candidate to pop up. In the mean time these nut and bolt restos will have to suffice :D

Looks great JP. Looking forward to watching the build. Envious of your shop and availability to time.
Looks like you’ve got more projects stacked up there. LV and a 25. Nice!
Surprised it’s in the 40 section though.

JP, can’t wait to see another beauty, always loved that ad for the shorty. If you want to watch some cool 45 Swb rt action, there are 2 in the movie, Bless the beasts and the children. Weird movie but some good footage of the trucks( circa 1971) always thought Dom’s truck is one of them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom