Builds FJ45SWB R/T from the Land of Enchantment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find myself with impure thoughts and feelings, entirely inappropriate towards an inanimate object...

Nothing inappropriate there... if you don't have those feeling you aren't a true Cruiser head :cool:

Last edited:
I've been an avid fan of the 40 series going on 20 years now, ever since I first laid eyes on a FJ40 during my freshman year at Clemson. Since then I've been obsessed with them and blessed to have own every iteration of 40/45 sold stateside except for one - the FJ45swb removable top, the unicorn of the 40 series. For the better part of a decade I was determined to buy one, but unfortunately they were few and far between with their run only lasting from mid 1964 to the end of 1965 when they were phased out in favor of the new FJ45lp-b. It seemed every couple of years one would pop up for sale, but they were usually bastardy modified by a PO or rusted and mangled by the hard life these trucks lived back in the day. Finally, in May of 2017, one popped up on ebay that was very complete and original, albeit rustier than I normally like to deal with and sporting a hideous PO paint job. However I couldn't let the chance to own my unicorn pass. I bid early and often, likely paying more than she was really worth, but that didn't matter to me. I was finally able to purchase my dream.

And this was her.

View attachment 1984842View attachment 1984844View attachment 1984848View attachment 1984849View attachment 1984850

Beautiful isn't she :D
I've been an avid fan of the 40 series going on 20 years now, ever since I first laid eyes on a FJ40 during my freshman year at Clemson. Since then I've been obsessed with them and blessed to have own every iteration of 40/45 sold stateside except for one - the FJ45swb removable top, the unicorn of the 40 series. For the better part of a decade I was determined to buy one, but unfortunately they were few and far between with their run only lasting from mid 1964 to the end of 1965 when they were phased out in favor of the new FJ45lp-b. It seemed every couple of years one would pop up for sale, but they were usually bastardy modified by a PO or rusted and mangled by the hard life these trucks lived back in the day. Finally, in May of 2017, one popped up on ebay that was very complete and original, albeit rustier than I normally like to deal with and sporting a hideous PO paint job. However I couldn't let the chance to own my unicorn pass. I bid early and often, likely paying more than she was really worth, but that didn't matter to me. I was finally able to purchase my dream.

And this was her.

View attachment 1984842View attachment 1984844View attachment 1984848View attachment 1984849View attachment 1984850

Beautiful isn't she :D
Yikes! The same Robin's Egg blue that the owner before me painted his 45 swb, and I also probably spent more than I should have but I didn't care. I wanted that 45 badly. Money well spent.

The origins of this 45 are a bit hazy, but after talking with the previous owner who bought her out of west Texas it seems she was originally sold in the Albuquerque area of New Mexico. During the cleaning out process of the cab and glove box I found some business cards, automotive shop bills, and a dealer sticker from Silver City, NM backing up this narrative. It also appear from the contents found inside the 45 was likely a farm or ranch truck in it's life. As there were the ubiquitous bullets, farm equipment service items, fishing tackle, etc in the glove box and scattered underneath the seats. From what I gather she was last on the road during the 90s.

Well first things first, time to remove the body and disassemble this old girl down to the bare frame.

View attachment 1984892View attachment 1984893

We just happened to have a lull on site for some construction we had going on.... what a handy tool!

View attachment 1984894View attachment 1984895

With the body liberated from the frame I set my recently retired father, read free labor, about doing some initial cleaning and scraping of the drive-train. It's amazing how much dirt and dust gets caked onto these things :doh:
View attachment 1984897
Something I noticed in one of the photos: The removeable engine bay vent is missing on the passenger side of the tub but it's got a kick vent. I've not seen this before on a '65. I'm just spitballin' here but could the tub be off a later model? Or is this a Toyota oddity?

Come on guys put your money where your mouth is! JPs work is over the top.
This truck is worth double the current price!

Is this for sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom