FJ40 traction control options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie here, I am eventually wanting to put in some traction control upgrades for my FJ40. Right now I have 31" tires possibly goto 33" in the future but probably not bigger than that. Automatic/LS conversion - mild, saginaw PS upgrade was done in the last year. Would like something streetable with some mild to intermediate offroad capabilities for traction control. Was thinking about OX or ARB selectable for the front and maybe a Grizzly or Detroit in the rear? Someone said Truetrac was good but not sure if they make that in 9.5". It seems that there are limitations to what is available for the 9.5" FJ40 LandCruiser differentials.

And I also would like of course to minimize cost as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Joe

Best option is the ARBs all the way. Easily the best of both worlds, street and trail.

This. More money up front, but totally worth it for the convenience. Transparent (like nothing is there) on the street when not engaged; diff(s) 100% locked almost instantly when you need more traction.

I vote arbs but just be carefull with the front axle and lockers. The stock front axles have rather weak cvs and an ls will easily break these. I would as a rule of thumb always use the rear where needed and never give it the berries when the front locker is engaged.

I have an Aussie locker in the rear of my 55. Works great on the trail and mostly not noticiable on the street.

Less expensive than ARB's.

What do you guys think about the PowerTrax lock rights? JustDifferentials has a good deal on those for under $350? maybe use that for the rear and ARB for the front?

I have an Aussie locker in the rear of my 55. Works great on the trail and mostly not noticiable on the street.

Less expensive than ARB's.
That does look like a less expensive option, would my shorter wheelbase feel the effects more? I have an auto trans, they say that smooths it out a bit? thanks for the suggestion!

For what you described as your usage, mild off-road, you don't need traction control. You just need driving skills.

For what you described as your usage, mild off-road, you don't need traction control. You just need driving skills.
i say mild usage but i'm sure i will want to be able to get out of situations if needed. we go elk hunting in colorado and those roads aren't crazy rock crawling but will need as much traction as possible. Thanks for replying!

Best option is the ARBs all the way. Easily the best of both worlds, street and trail.

Another vote for ARB`s front and rear. I use the rear locked when off road 75% of the time and only lock the front when I need it. You would be shocked how much traction you get with the rear locked.
JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom