1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fj40 project keep stock or flatbed conversion??

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by carterfj40, Mar 20, 2017.

Keep it stock or turn it into a flatbed?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2017.
  1. Stock

100.0%
  2. Flat bed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. carterfj40

carterfj40

Hi guys, I'm 17, and don't have any experience rebuilding a car, but somehow I've managed to sucsefully overhaul the fj40 I have engine, and I'm beginning working on the body just needs some work on the rear quarter panel and wheel well. I have some friends that have been doing this kinda stuff for years so I get some help from them. What I've been wondering is how hard would it be to cut the tub in half and make a flat bed for the rear? Or should I just stick to keeping. It stock for my first build? I would like to crawl it but I think that's out of my budget for now, mainly just for overlanding and such. Thanks

2. Jlyon

Jlyon

Personally I believe there is nothing better than a (mostly) stock 40. They are extremely capable out of the box, depending on the year money is best spend on upgrades such as breaks if it is an earlier model, don't forget to post pics if you can!

3. carterfj40

carterfj40

It's a 1972, has the stock 1f engine with a custom crower cam, has a 4 speed with 4 speed transfer case here's some pics of what it looked like when I got it now it has some primer over spots I've sanded. It's on 31s. IMG_1728.PNG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0119.JPG

Jdc1 and Jlyon like this.
  4. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Long ago TLCA# 2231

Media:
    Albums:
    I do not see rot... why do you want to rip off that tub?

Redgrrr likes this.
  5. Shark56

Shark56 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Keep the body. Get it mechanically sound and safe to drive as far as brakes and steering. Drive it for a while then decide. That is in better shape than most. Once again, drive it for awhile before tearing into it!

GA Architect likes this.
  6. carterfj40

carterfj40

Cuz I like the flat bed idea plus I'm my opinion they look awesome but I am kinda leaning towards just keeping it stock, a lot easier.

Jdc1 likes this.
  7. carterfj40

carterfj40

Rt now it's taken apart quite a bit is it worth it to put together and drive first?

8. Jdc1

Jdc1 SILVER Star

Do a DIY paint job and put it back together. Focus on brakes/steering and electrical. That's a pretty solid rig to start with. Good Luck.

9. r083rt

r083rt

Media:
    Albums:
    Making modifications to any Land Cruiser simply because they "look awesome" will not garner much support on here.

I would echo the advice of others on here: fix it mechanically and then drive it. Don't start hacking it up.

GA Architect likes this.
  10. Shark56

Shark56 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    In my opinion yes, it is worth it to get it driveable first. A lot of people will get a vehicle like this and start right in to restoring, restor-mod, ect. They never get a chance to enjoy it for what it is and often lose interest or funding to complete it.

GA Architect likes this.
  11. carterfj40

carterfj40

Ok I'll keep it stock then, how much mods will it need for rubicon trail?

12. swelltimes

swelltimes SILVER Star

^^X2. Best to get to know the truck a bit before big mods to it. Plus, I'd think a flat bed on there would make it drive a bit wonky. Seems that 40s ride a bit better with more weight in the back, depending on your springs.

13. White Stripe

White Stripe

I would do a 4 inch lift using 4 inch lift front fj40 springs and 4 inch lift rear fj60 springs with adjustable spring perches mounted in the most forward mount which would stretch the rear wheelbase 1.5" rearward and give good ride and articulation. You can then fit 33" tires easily even 35s if u really want. Then u want a locker, winch, sliders, bumpers, good skid plate, ya it adds up. Right now just get it reliable and safe and go from there.

todt likes this.
  14. todt

todt

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm trying to figure out which one of mine gets to be a flatbed so I feel ya.

15. Rigger

Rigger Ramble Tamble Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Flat bed = bad idea

Stock = best

You have your marching orders. Now go.

16. GRM

GRM Finding new adventures in old jalopies. Moderator

If you want a flat bed - go buy a mini truck or Tacoma.

Your also in the wrong crowd for this one question. I don't think I'm alone when I say that what I love about an FJ40 is that it is an FJ40. I don't want it to be something that it isn't.

But then- I also have a diesel pickup, a mini truck crawler, a BMW... so I'm a believer that between a fleet of vehicles I'll always get exactly what I want.

17. Indestructible 47

Indestructible 47 2h 0-100, eventually gets there

swap it for an FJ45.... if you really want a flatbed that is. otherwise, cool truck.

tip: unless u have access to a bank, at 17 do NOT mod it before it's running and driving. you will run out of dosh fast. i know. i'm 17 too. and don't get disheartened with the project. cheers

18. ryanwk628

ryanwk628

Media:
    Albums:
    It sounds like you want to turn your 40 into a 45, which has been done as well as stretching 40s and making 4 door 40s. I would not do it without lengthening the frame, because IMO it would look odd without a longer wheel base.

It's easy to get some wild ideas, especially browsing forums and looking at build ups. I've spent more imaginary dollars than I can count building my dream 40 in my mind. Enjoy it as it is for a while and your feelings on what you want to do with it will change. If you want to use the back as a bed just leave the jump seats out and top off. Done!

jim land likes this.