Fj40 noise when top off & gear noise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
More an observation than tech, I added a roof skin from the B pillar back ( front is already skinned ) and it took most or all the wind noise away. I can have a conversation on the freeway, the 420 & tcase are smooth & quiet, tires and exhaust are loudest, creepies are somewaht loud on the street,

I know, rambling bs , I was so thrilled how quiet it is, only been 20 years & I'm dam near deaf now, wait, maybe its that I cant hear s*** any more....

I’ll second the picture request. Aluminum? Thickness?

I have worn out 35” tires and will have new 35’s soon. Out of curiosity I downloaded one of the decibel apps to see the difference. The worn out rubber and a full length bikini top comes in at 90 decibels @ 60mph. I’ve got standard gear whine and quiet-ish exhaust on a LM7.

Archie73, I couldnt stand the vinyl full length bikini, it just flapped and did nothin g for protection. I put a alum skin ( 1/16 ") that has a 2" eyebrow that sticks out forward of windshield like a visor,, goes 2 " past roll bar in the middle, I put a rubber spacer in center on top of roll bar so it give the lid a nice subtle arch I used the soft top channel to secure at windshield ( just put small nut and bolt that can be removed for soft top ). I just drilled straight down on channel and trapped the little nuts in the channel, looks clean. I put an 8mm, double wall, tinted, polycarb panel on the back, mainly to support my roof bag but was thrilled with the noise reduction, rain protection and general temp drops in truck.
Top pic 1.jpg
Top pic 2.jpg
Top pic 3.jpg
Top pic 6.jpg
Top pic 5.jpg
I also riveted alum angle along both sides as rain gutters, works well, love it.

Nice, are those solar panels and a gps puck on the bottom right photo?

Yup, the GPS goes to an android based head unit that has a 7" screen, all the maps, SOS, movies, music, I downloaded the western hemisphere maps, its cool, you can if need be , activate a sat link thru the android( one of the apps ) and have internet wherever, check e-mail whatever. Solar, an old 15 watt panel with a crack in it but it is ole reliable, cant take er off and the new one, a semi flex Lensun 100W, adhesive to a piece of the 8mm double wall then adhesive that to the roof skin, glue is at tap plastics, e6000. the 100w keeps the 2 batts up and I can sit static indefinitely ( with sun) running fridge & lites and phones, rc cars, whatever. I run an engel mt45platinum fridge.
FWIW we tested the old arb fridges, the cheapos, big ones, little ones and what we came up with is that you need a minimum of 68w of solar to be able to sit static for a week or more. Static means not starting engine to recharge batts.

Not me, the cruiser you dork. Cause sometimes I need a break and I get 1 shot a year and I do not mind not driving around for a week.

Not me, the cruiser you dork. Cause sometimes I need a break and I get 1 shot a year and I do not mind not driving around for a week.

That’s what I mean. You park for a whole week somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom