Fj40 died while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Last night I was driving and it was going good. I drove for about an hour and coming up a slight hill I started smelling something burn and then after about 15 seconds the FJ40 shut down and died. Lights and radio still worked. I tried to crank it and it wanted to crank but would not crank one revolution. I thought it was the alternator so this morning I went there tried cranking and the same thing. BAttery was at 12.48 volts and I brought a fresh battery with me and installed it and still nothing,. Any ideas? COuld the regulator have gone bad? The strange thing is that I did not see gauges flicker or get wackey so I am unsure if it is regulator. I kind of ruled out alternator as the battery is at 12.48 volts. Any inpu (I hope engine is not seized - it has 82,000 original miles)

Check your oil level.

I checked on side of road and it was bone dry. Strange I just changed 2,000 miles ago. Looks like I have a leak somewhere or burnign it (sparkplugs look great though). Engine was seixed. I was able to spray some penetrating oil in all spark plugs and after 2 hours I was able to break it and start it. It runs rough. I changed oil and gave new spark plugs and there is no oil pressure. What is next step?

REBUILD time:(

A big job

Do you know where the oil was leaving the engine at? I don't think you could've burned enough oil in 2000 miles to drain the pan and burn up the motor.

Is your oil drain plug tight?

Sounds like it's definitely time for a rebuild/replace. Sorry to hear.

Dang, sorry to hear this. Another thing to remember on your next engine, is if your distributor isn't seated in the oil pump you won't have oil pressure. Some people use an old dizzy shaft chucked in a drill to prime the oil pump. Or they fab something. You can remove your oil sending unit an see oil squirt out the hole. Then you seat your dizzy, crank the engine with coil wire unhooked. Check again that oil is squirting.

Post running engine wanted in the classifieds. I would guess you could get one for $500-$1500. You can sometimes get lucky and find the whole enchilada: engine, tranny, transer.

Look for a rusted out cheap 60 series and swap the motor is another cheap option. Agreed with above. Should be able to find for that price. A rebuild will snowball real quick into 3k plus

I just spoke to a buddy of min who has a 1f engine he will give me for $400. Do you guys know if the 1f can replace the 2f or are they not compatible.

You want a 2f.....

This also happened to me. My original 2F seized up under similar circumstances, oil starvation. I decided to upgrade and swapped in a 2F from an '86 FJ60. Good luck!

Post from yesterday "To get rid of an F Engine" F, F.5? or 2F? engine looking for a good home.
Unfortunately it is on the opposite end of the country in Portland, Oregon.

"1971 Toyota FJ40 whole or parts" in your region, Liberty, SC on Craigslist.
It's been on there for a couple of months with price dropping, currently asking $700.
Says it runs but everything on it looks rusted out, no top, no interior, back end cut off.
To me it looks more like $400.

Thanks for the lead. SO, I am still struggling with not getting the 1f engine. It comes complete (even new radiator). I use cruiser for around town and hauling crap with a trailer and once in a while I go on the trails. I have limited time and funds (want to keep under $500) so, again I ask can I swap my 2f for the 1f without any issues. Will it fit to my 4 speed and overdrive. I am in a bind right now as my busy season is coming up an I need it. Thanks. I will continue to search for the 2f of a fj60 but in the meantime I am running out of time and I may have to go 1f way if they are compatible.

Thanks for the lead. SO, I am still struggling with not getting the 1f engine. It comes complete (even new radiator). I use cruiser for around town and hauling crap with a trailer and once in a while I go on the trails. I have limited time and funds (want to keep under $500) so, again I ask can I swap my 2f for the 1f without any issues. Will it fit to my 4 speed and overdrive. I am in a bind right now as my busy season is coming up an I need it. Thanks. I will continue to search for the 2f of a fj60 but in the meantime I am running out of time and I may have to go 1f way if they are compatible.

Off the top of my head, you are going to run into issues with some wiring, and the carb linkage. Might be more efficient to be patient and wait for a 2f.

Is this your only vehicle? Honestly, I understand that you are in a bind, but a little time you should be able to find the right engine. The 2F engine is already old technology, and you want to put something even older, and weaker in your rig?

My other vehicle is my Honda VFR motorcycle.

If I can find a 2f how long wouldit take to swap out motor if that is all I focused on? Are there any specail things I need (i.e. aligning fly wheel etc.,). I just feel like I am helpless right now and looking at all options. Thanks for all the suppoet this forum has provided me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom