FJ40 and FJ45 front shock tower extensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
[I figured I would post this up in tech, since I believe the discussion is generic to different options for installing longer-travel shocks.]

Credit for this idea goes 100% to @Downey. It has been a very long time now, but IIRC Jim originally designed this product in about 2001, concurrent with his version of the cantilever shackle. Like so many other of his products developed in that time frame, my 68FJ40 was the guinea pig for the prototype.

The principle was simple: get more shock, and more shock travel, and retain the original shock geometry, without having to remove the stock tower. The Ford shock tower option was already well known in the off road forums, but it had and still has two major drawbacks. First, the extension principle was and is limited by the fact that the top of the tower is stuck underneath the fender. The second is that the shock is significantly outboarded, which is a non-starter for anyone who is using factory-type steering which incorporates a drag link that runs along the framerail.

Jim's design [and mine] uses two plates. The first is the extension plate, which is welded to the rib in the stock shock tower, providing an extra five inches of height to the upper mounting pin. The second is the stabilizer plate, which utilizes the stock tower pin hole to help anchor and support the tower extension.

It was probably good that the prototype was developed on my F engine, as the air cleaner clearance issue does not exist on the 2F. After he delivered my installed prototype (complete with newly dimpled air cleaner) I thoroughly tested out the truck at a nearby OHV area. Considering how basically stock my truck otherwise is, it was impressive that I could now put one tire up on a 30” rock with the other tire on the ground, courtesy of the cantilever shackles and shock towers.

I took a second set from Jim in about 2004 and tweaked the specs on them before installing my version of a prototype on my 64FJ45. My version took away the adjustability feature that Jim had originally put into the brackets, but made sure the tower would not interfere with the drag link and also gave a better margin for clearing the F engine air cleaner. I had a production run made in 2005 and then...nothing. I got waylaid by the tragedy of a friend's death, and just kind of mothballed the project, saying 'One day I'm going to do a write-up on these and give them a proper roll out. So here we are, 12 years later! The warehouse fire has been a personal catalyst on many fronts, and this is one of them.

Here's a couple of pics of the install on my 45
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's a pic of the 13" travel shock I'm running on the truck.

IMG_0966.JPG

Good question Johnny. With a standard shackle setup, the axle will drop towards the rear as it droops. The exposed shaft of the shock being narrow should never reach the back of the opening.

Now a shackle reversal will compress the shock can up and towards the rear of the opening. This may or may not be an issue. My instruction sheet covers the range of calculations required .

Last edited:
Interested in this for my 76. I think it may be a candidate. It looks like I would need to scoot my passenger side 4plus battery tray back and bolt it on the rearward side of the shocktower.

2.5" OME's, SUA, no reversal and I have both Mark's Off Road HD 4.25" & 5.25" shackles in my garage to choose from.:cool:

I'll be watching and buying if you decide to make it happen.

I will post them in classifieds later.

They have been posted.

Mark, I'd show pictures of the kit to illustrate the "layout" off the vehicle so consumer can (1) see what they get, and (2) get a better feel for how it looks/attaches without the vehicle obstructing the view- - -just saying.
BTW, I just added a comment to your listing in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Mark, I'd show pictures of the kit to illustrate the "layout" off the vehicle so consumer can (1) see what they get, and (2) get a better feel for how it looks/attaches without the vehicle obstructing the view- - -just saying.

Jim

I posted a for sale thread in classifieds to cover that. It's just that I haven't been at the desktop to cross-post links from there-here and here-there, and I don't know how to do it on the iPad, which is my default 'puter' these days.

Thanks Mark.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom