Fitting a Truck Gun in the Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wondering if anyone on here has fit their truck gun in the tailgate. I'd want to keep it looking stock, but basically 'unclip' the carpet to show a laser-cut foam board with some restraints, to access it.

Any ideas?

PS. Save me all the "your gun won't do you any good in the tailgate" arguments. I am a believer that the "point of your pistol is to get to your rifle."

39348897974_1008c4a699_z.jpg

04E686E9-6601-4458-AC0F-1C237D163E08.jpeg

Thanks guys, I searched and saw those. I am looking for:

- Stock carpet in place
- Laser cut gun storage

Thanks

Wow, this post is gonna be fun....just like all our other gun posts....

This is definitely going to be DIY.

You can choose to DIY the whole project or piece together one of the pre-built storage units above and hire out the laser cutting. Either way, cut a hole in your stock carpet and adhere it to the new tailgate storage when you're done.

Someone here used one of the existing tailgate storage solutions and then cut his factory carpet and glued it over the top to keep a stock look.

I would just razor cut Styrofoam to fit your needs. No super secret tailgate storage kits exist. The cops and the bad guys all know about tailgate storage, whether it is visible or not. I would just use a kit as already mentioned. That particular gun would fit in the quarter panel also.

Ok so a couple ideas. First if you cut out the tailgate sheet metal you need someway to provide a solid structure. The tailgate storage compartments do this by adding steel angle iron all the way around the cutout. Just think what would happen if you tried to stand or sit or put anything heavy on your tailgate if it was nothing but foam under carpet. Maybe just consider the carpet over the storage compartment, they are pretty well thought out.

I am wondering if anyone on here has fit their truck gun in the tailgate. I'd want to keep it looking stock, but basically 'unclip' the carpet to show a laser-cut foam board with some restraints, to access it.

Any ideas?

PS. Save me all the "your gun won't do you any good in the tailgate" arguments. I am a believer that the "point of your pistol is to get to your rifle."

39348897974_1008c4a699_z.jpg

If it twer me I would run a Santa Cruz gun lock, or quickfist straps on a bracket vs. closed cell foam design. You’ll have more space to store other items, or attach some spare mags around the area that would be filled with foam.. also if the storage area takes on moisture it will dry out much quicker without foam surrounding the gun. And you can rack it hot if need be..post up the results

I think the bigger problem is the depth of the tailgate. There's only about 1 1/2 inches where the license plate "bump" pushes into the tailgate.

Good ideas....I think I’ll go the prefab route for the lid, then play around with fitting the carbine in there. I’ll post back :)

We'll, this one time at band camp, I ...............

All the great comments start out with "In my opinion" and "According to what they say" and "My brothers cousins first wife did this".

Search Wagon Gear for the top of the line lid that includes all the structure and rigidity necessary to open up the tailgate area to accept your requirements. Kevin is a genius when it comes to acquiring space and maximizing cubbies and dead air in the 80 series. You could easily mask the opening by attaching your carpet to it.

"Individuals in the past" have noted that tailgate storage is a great place for light weight recovery gear, webbing, snatch straps, and soft fluffy things. The rationale for light weight things related to their significant other not being able to close the heavy tailgate or fearing that it would crush them when they open it. I have heard talk of a few who have discussed how to integrate the slow opening contraption on some of the full size toyota pickup tailgates to address managing the weight.

"I have also seen pictures on MUD" that showed a license plate delete (opening up the tailgate interior by pushing out where the license plate is located. The delete would really open up the interior of the tailgate to provide the necessary room for any "tool" of your choosing.

It all sounds well and good until you factor in the a$$h@ts who tailgate a 6,000 lb marvel of engineering such as the Land Cruiser. This point caused me to personally rethink putting anything of value into the tailgate. Yes, it is tacti-cool but a$$h@ts who rear end me won't give a rip about what's behind the curtain.

I have determined that if I ever decide to purchase a weapon ;), I would use the quarter panel area for a collapsible battle hardened rifle, using L-channel and quick fists. Moisture lives in my truck and the less stuff to absorb it the better. I've never done it but I think it would work quite nicely.

There was also a really well done hatch on a GMC Yukon I saw years ago that had the top covering the rear storage area. Open it up and there was a full array of tools available to a discerning operator.

I have a similar problem right now. Don't know where to put my old.22 rifles. As long as I bought a new car, it became a real headache. The last car had a nice and big trunk. the new one doesn't have it. And so I was forced to put my hunting rifle on the backseat of my car. And it caused trouble. I broke a scope on the rifle. I was forced to buy a new one using information from review on consumerepic.com site. A new scope is better than the old one, but it cost me money. I didn't want to spend it. How to deal with this problem?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom