Finally - Reassembly - my slow build of "no name" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did some headliner work yesterday. Probably the most frustrating work I have done in a long time. Still not perfect and I'm hoping these wrinkles will "shrink" out when it heats up some. Advice if I had to do it again.... only do 4" in the center of far back and get the pillars lined up first. Those are not negotiable. Used standard contact cement. Installed the grab handles.

Need some help on the screws or bolts that mount the sun visors, rear view mirror, and both dome lights. After 2.5 years of parts strewn all over, I can't find the mounting screws to know I've got the right ones. Any help on these would be appreciated.
IMG_5476.JPG
IMG_5477.JPG

Need some help on the screws or bolts that mount the sun visors, rear view mirror, and both dome lights. After 2.5 years of parts strewn all over, I can't find the mounting screws to know I've got the right ones. Any help on these would be appreciated.
Have mine apart and out right now. Here is what mine look like and their sizes for the rear view mirror and visors.
The mirror has two 8mm bolts with a Philips top:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The visors mounts have four Philips head screws/ two on each side:
image.jpeg

And the little tabs that the visor connects to has one small Phillips head bolt each:
image.jpeg

Sorry if the terminology is all butchered for the hardware and parts, but it's probably pretty self explanatory from the photos. Also, don't know if it changed over the years, mine is an '85 HJ60. Hope that helps.

Thanks Aloha Jen. that's exactly what I was needing.

Thanks Aloha Jen. that's exactly what I was needing.
No problem. We will be installing our SOR headliner pretty soon, so will be following your posts on it carefully. I may PM you for advice if we run into some headliner installation difficulties:).

Jfnall,

You should put this post in thread "best modification for under 50 bucks". Thai one is a real winner !!!!! My bumpers are worn out after 31 years and now I have a rattle and squeak that is driving me crazy.

IMG_0319.JPG
Little bit more work completed. Man I love these windows!

IMG_0327.JPG

Headliner question. Will these wrinkles minimize with summer heat? Or the help of a heat gun, at a distance of course. Or and I stuck with headliner wrinkles forever. That was not an easy task. For future reference of the SOR headliner, get the pillars center and glued first and stretch from there.

IMG_0347.PNG

And more eye candy. Thanks Jason!! This is the first of many Trail Tailor parts to get put on my 60. Exceptional quality!

IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG

J,

Is it vinyl or cloth. If vinyl it will probably sag more over time due to heat and weight. Cloth will stay about the same. Need to tighten it up more. Are you using adhesive and the clips?

J

It's vinyl. Used adhesive and clips. It's all glued in and windows mounted. I can take the windows back out. The contact cement isn't too fun to get the edges off and re-glued.

Ok. Wait until is warms up and you can pull/stretch the HL more. Not what you want to hear, I know.. but it will make all the difference in the world when the material is warm and more pliable.

Start at one point and pull in a radius/arch motion away from the wrinkle. Work in small sections and clip more frequently. That area is a PITA due to the intersection of multiple pieces and widths of material.

I only recover w/vinyl in the warmer seasons or if I cover them inside the house.

J

How long did it take to do the Headliner? I received quotes from $800-$1000 to redo mine from a shop. I found a felt liner from SOR but this project looks like a PITA. Thoughts?

How long did it take to do the Headliner? I received quotes from $800-$1000 to redo mine from a shop. I found a felt liner from SOR but this project looks like a PITA. Thoughts?

it is pretty tedious. i would never pay 800-1000 to have it done. but the vinyl liner itself from SOR cost 350ish i think. i didn't price the felt so i know nothing about it.

advice would be to start your gluing in small sections 4" or so and start at the pillars after your upper rods are in and in place. the pillar legs material, stitching and size is set and can't be adjusted, so everything lines up off where those are set. the width of the material is pretty accurate. I did very little trimming after it was done. i worked from the back to the front and got lots or wrinkles on my pillars. i think mine looks like crap but I'm not gonna take it back down and start over. i'm just gonna live with it. i keep saying i wish i had a practice shot at it first to learn my lessons. get as many tabs as you can and as some small sections set up, more the tabs to a different area. take your time. if it takes 3 days, so what. i did mine in about 4 hours and it was too fast. got in a hurry thinking all was going good.

the slots that the rods go in had to be trimmed slightly to allow for the liner to hand and set correctly, but don't trim it until it is up and hanging, but no gluing has started. the rod slots on the pillars will hang different than the rod slots over the windows and doors. get get the clips in place and then you will see what needs a slight trim on the rod slot.

good luck. anybody doing a headliner needs alot of luck

it is pretty tedious. i would never pay 800-1000 to have it done. but the vinyl liner itself from SOR cost 350ish i think. i didn't price the felt so i know nothing about it.

advice would be to start your gluing in small sections 4" or so and start at the pillars after your upper rods are in and in place. the pillar legs material, stitching and size is set and can't be adjusted, so everything lines up off where those are set. the width of the material is pretty accurate. I did very little trimming after it was done. i worked from the back to the front and got lots or wrinkles on my pillars. i think mine looks like crap but I'm not gonna take it back down and start over. i'm just gonna live with it. i keep saying i wish i had a practice shot at it first to learn my lessons. get as many tabs as you can and as some small sections set up, more the tabs to a different area. take your time. if it takes 3 days, so what. i did mine in about 4 hours and it was too fast. got in a hurry thinking all was going good.

the slots that the rods go in had to be trimmed slightly to allow for the liner to hand and set correctly, but don't trim it until it is up and hanging, but no gluing has started. the rod slots on the pillars will hang different than the rod slots over the windows and doors. get get the clips in place and then you will see what needs a slight trim on the rod slot.

good luck. anybody doing a headliner needs alot of luck

I've done 3 and cringe every time... Last couple of 60s I bought, I looked at the headliner as soon as I got inside the rig... I can honestly say if the liner would have been bad I would have walked and not bought.

Just me though.

J

My husband has been installing the SOR grey felt headliner in my HJ60 for the last 3 days. I tried to help, but he was crazy obsessing about getting it perfect, so I couldn't hang. But it is near perfect, looks as good as the factory in my opinion:
image.jpeg

He had never done anything like that before, and said it was difficult, but said he could do it in half the time if he were to do it again. I was going to do a little write up about it since I could find very little install info before hand to help him out.

Last edited:
My husband has been installing the SOR grey felt headliner in my HJ60 for the last 3 days. I tried to help, but he was crazy obsessing about getting it perfect, so I couldn't hang. But it is near perfect, looks as good as the factory in my opinion:
View attachment 1384516
He had never done anything like that before, and said it was difficult, but said he could do it in half the time if he were to do it again. I was going to do a little write up about it since I could find very little install info before hand to help him out.

just so nobody is confused, this is NOT my headliner install. I wish it was. This looks great

wanted to ask some wheel well advice. My original plan was to rhino line the wheel wells. Primarily for rock protection and prevent paint chipping because I live on a gravel road. I've been told by my rhino lining dealer that he cannot do the wheel wells unless the body is upside down. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but that's what he says. should I use some type of rhino lining type product that is a spray on or roll-on Bedliner type product or go with a rock chip type paint? And do I do this in black or in stock paint color white? Just gathering opinions on what others have done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom