Finally - Reassembly - my slow build of "no name" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whiteriverlawncare.com
It's been almost 2 years since I started taking apart my '85 FJ60 for a repaint. Originally it was gonna be just an outside paint job. But...the "while I'm in there" motto began to play out. So, I'm starting this thread mainly to get advice and guidance as I put this truck back together. After 2 years, things have slipped my mind on what screws or bolts go where. So, as always on MUD, thanks in advance for the advice. This is the greatest bunch of people on the web, offering priceless information.

An upside to the process is that my wife finally got tired of being a one car family so I commandeered her '07 FJ Cruiser and got her a newer more bells and whistles SUV.

I'll try and post as many pics as possible since most threads are worthless without pics. I'm also not in a huge hurry because I want to do it right.

A list of upgrades as it is going back together.
OEM weatherstripping, grommets, gaskets, etc. Thanks #beno
Trailer Tailer sliders, mini-sliders, DIY swing out ladder, light pole. Thanks #reevski
Everything Wagongear makes for a 60: Seatbox, cargo area side panels storage, tailgate storage, Antenna, flip Windows. Thanks Kevin Rowland at Wagongear!!

Will post pics soon. Here is where I am with it now.

image.jpeg

:popcorn:subscribed for the resurrection.

Gonna be a great build! Glad to see you back in action! Sub'd :)

Going to love watching this....that's a very nice list of upgrades you've got going in. Hoping for some speedy progress, I"m sure you'll be going nuts wanting to get her back up and running.

:popcorn::clap:

I'm gonna try and get better about pictures. I've taken tons but I don't sit in front of the computer much and dealing with file attachments on the iphone is kind of a pain.

The motor was rebuilt back in '09. I did that in my shop. I did a desmog at the time. Added a second alternator and dual batteries. Had a mechanic friend help me set the crank bearings and the cam, and I pieced the rest together and dropped it in myself. I wish I would have asked for help on that one. Broke 2 ribs on the front fender trying to get the engine to drop on the motor mounts. I though I was strong enough to budge it 1/16th of an inch. My ribs thought otherwise. Oh yeah, lopped off he end of my thumb removing my rear bumper. I really have skin in the game on this build. Along with the typical bashed knuckles and cuts from my amature mechanic skills.

Add an H55 to this list. I installed it in back in 2014. With half the interior out, I thought why not. Might as well redo the whole thing. I sat on a milk crate and drove it for about 10 miles then started taking stuff off. So I don't even know how awesome the 5 speed is gonna be yet.

I didn't do much under the truck other than cleanup and repaint for looks. There was no rust. I have redone all the bearings and seals, new OME suspension back in 07. I did powder coat the skid plates.

More pics to come. And a lot of questions like "what is this and where does it go??"

Thanks in advance for the advice and thanks for watching.

Watching come together is rewarding.

Which direction for this weatherstripping? Top pic or bottom pic?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

started installing the HJ air filter box. Had it blasted and powder coated. questions: where does the fitting on top the carb horn attach -- to the top of the valve cover where the arrow points?

image.jpeg

and what about the small vacuum lines on the side of the filter box, where do they attach?

image.jpeg

Picked up some more parts from the powder coater. Forgot to mention the Trail Tailor expo rack.
Also a New SOR headliner, SOR driver and passenger seat bottoms.
Adding headrests to the rear seats, and shoulder belts.
A-track strips all over the place for added quick attachment D rings.
Custom carpet kit I've made.
Powdercoated just about everything possible. Full de-chrome.
New OEM Euro mirrors
Full coverage of QuietCrap sound deadening on floor and inside doors and rear quarters
New H4 headlight upgrade with ARB wiring harness for brighter lights

I most likely won't post anything in order because I've been working on several different things for 2 years. So if it seems a little wonky on how to put together a project, you know why.

Here are the rear seat headrests. I bought some reached out front seats so I could use the frame where the headrests mount. As bad as these seats were, I still felt guilty chopping them apart.

image.jpeg

This is the business end of the headrests. Takes little cutting and bending and its ready to weld right in. and of course sandblasting and paint.

image.jpeg

position was a total guess. the plastic pieces that the headrests posts slide down into needed a slight modification to get them to seat all the way down. Just a small piece ground off, then put the upholstery cover back and and insert headrests. Not as easy as it is to type out, but gratifying when it's done. Thanks to #roadstr6 for this inspiration.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And my brown seats didn't have gray headrests. I had to source those on the interweb. So I have a pair of brown headrest available if anyone is interested. PM me.

I would love to do something like this.. then I would hate driving on any road ...

yeah I'm already starting to get that feeling.

Crap, these rebuild threads are killing me. Now, I know I did my mechanicals but I am longing for some rust repair and a paint job....

The fitting on the carb side of the filter housing is for a filter vacuum gauge. I don't recall the exact routing of the PCV fittings, but I think you are correct.

Hope you don't mind, I will attach a couple pictures of my same housing when I get home. It shows the 2f set up and the diesel set up with vacuum/suction gauge for reference.

Looking good!

image-jpeg.1206765

The fitting on the carb side of the filter housing is for a filter vacuum gauge. I don't recall the exact routing of the PCV fittings, but I think you are correct.

Hope you don't mind, I will attach a couple pictures of my same housing when I get home. It shows the 2f set up and the diesel set up with vacuum/suction gauge for reference.

Looking good!

Yes please attach those pictures. Thank you

Is this correct or am I missing anything here. do the front door switches go metal washer to paint?

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom