Feedback on those who keep their cooler OUTSIDE their FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdtoyotaowner.com
G'day all,

Many aftermarket bumper makers have basket configurations that allow for a cooler or even freezer/fridge to be secured--outside the vehicle. I'm soliciting feedback on Mud for those who have done this. How is it? Do you use with an insulation blanket unit to cover the cooler/fridge?

To my mind I'd rather a cooler or fridge be inside because it obviously won't be in direct sunlight and making it work harder.

Anyone keep theirs outside?

Cheers,

Dave

maf1046new2.jpg

If I'm going on a multi day camping trip, I may keep the cooler in the carrier till I get to the camp site. On one day trail rides, I just keep a small soft cooler in the vehicle. When 4wheeling in a 40, the more weight u put behind the rear axle the better it will climb obstacles. Having a 50lb cooler back their is a fair amount of weight. It's also why I have never installed a rear fuel tank.

I can totally see putting a cooler back there... especially given the high-quality Yeti-type coolers that are insulated to a superior degree. It frees up valuable storage space and keeps cold items handy.

I would NEVER put my fridge/freeze in an external location. I wouldn't want the switch to get all gunked up with dust/dirt/grime. It's not a weatherproof appliance by any stretch of the imagination. The compressors are sealed units, sure, but the electrical contacts would be vulnerable to corrosion and the condenser fins would get dirty and inefficient mighty fast.

I can totally see putting a cooler back there... especially given the high-quality Yeti-type coolers that are insulated to a superior degree. It frees up valuable storage space and keeps cold items handy.

I would NEVER put my fridge/freeze in an external location. I wouldn't want the switch to get all gunked up with dust/dirt/grime. It's not a weatherproof appliance by any stretch of the imagination. The compressors are sealed units, sure, but the electrical contacts would be vulnerable to corrosion and the condenser fins would get dirty and inefficient mighty fast.

I agree 100%. I put my Yeti on my carrier, and pretty much leave it there all the time (locked).

I saw this at SEMA-

ARB All-Weather 63QT Fridge Freezer | Portable Refrigerator Freezer

The 'rep' couldn't tell me the differences between that fridge and their basic model other than one is plastic and one is metal. I was surprised by the lack of filter element behind the metal grates. I would never keep a $1,000 appliance in the elements while traveling, unless there was some awesome unlimited warranty.

If I'm going on a multi day camping trip, I may keep the cooler in the carrier till I get to the camp site. On one day trail rides, I just keep a small soft cooler in the vehicle. When 4wheeling in a 40, the more weight u put behind the rear axle the better it will climb obstacles. Having a 50lb cooler back their is a fair amount of weight. It's also why I have never installed a rear fuel tank.
White Stripe, thanks for the reply. Quick question: did you mean wheels better, or worse, with weight behind axle? I ask because you say you've never put a rear fuel tank, but that would suggest an improvement in wheeling according to your earlier sentence. Did you mean LESS weight behind axle helps it climb better?

I put the cheapest largest marine cooler back there. Ice melts when you are often opening and closing the lid on the trail regardless if you have a $500 cooler.
FB_IMG_1460429686338.jpg

Sorry yes. I messed up. If I'm going on a multi day camping trip, I may keep the cooler in the carrier till I get to the camp site. On one day trail rides, I just keep a small soft cooler in the vehicle. When 4wheeling in a 40, the less weight u put behind the rear axle the better it will climb obstacles. Having a 50lb cooler back their is a fair amount of weight. It's also why I have never installed a rear fuel tank.

What ever gets put on our receiver rack, gets covered in mud. So when we get to our destination, what ever was used as a cover is thrown away...Suffice to say, our cooler doesn't sit back there.

G'day all,

Many aftermarket bumper makers have basket configurations that allow for a cooler or even freezer/fridge to be secured--outside the vehicle. I'm soliciting feedback on Mud for those who have done this. How is it? Do you use with an insulation blanket unit to cover the cooler/fridge?

To my mind I'd rather a cooler or fridge be inside because it obviously won't be in direct sunlight and making it work harder.

Anyone keep theirs outside?

Depends on the destination; for a week in Southern Utah, I keep jerry cans of gasoline and water in the back rack, and the cooler inside. But for shorter trips, I love having the cooler outside; so much easier to get to, and it saves space inside. I just use whatever cheap cooler fits my 4+ rack; currently one from Coleman. It has worked decently, even in the heat of a west Texas summer:

Some other photos:

Depends on the destination; for a week in Southern Utah, I keep jerry cans of gasoline and water in the back rack, and the cooler inside. But for shorter trips, I love having the cooler outside; so much easier to get to, and it saves space inside. I just use whatever cheap cooler fits my 4+ rack; currently one from Coleman. It has worked decently, even in the heat of a west Texas summer:

What brand of rear bumper/holders are you using? BTW - Like the dark green color!

Some other photos:

Some other photos:

@1911 your rig is one of my favorites!

I've done both. I've put my fridge in my bumper basket for short day trips with good weather, and I've put it inside for longer trips like a few days on the Rubicon. I specifically built my rack to be able to fit my fridge. I certainly don't put it back there in bad weather or exceptionally dusty trails. But, I see no problem with it back there for good weather, easy trails. And honestly, on dusty, hot trails, I'm sure it gets just as dusty inside my rig (windows down, vents open) as outside on the rack. I wired in a 12V plug to the rear bumper so I can plug it in. I have also taken a cooler many times. As said above, it doesn't matter how expensive a cooler you buy, if you open it a bunch for drinks and food, it won't stay cold.

HNiWyCzyps1ckCosMYdlDxqXpu26C2Sodsk2uc1GSyNv6OILnB7IpKDfN9iYGPzmM0DNnj0P3TPpqBzOaUuVuwIsnE7GqW911FmAiQSWAraqULd1ldO81KBIeGrS9FjtJUkfiQ

LIipXmI33g1TumdfJzrLfzjQ1gGkhLR3Im5Q1QZwUs7gHbcF7YLZpZlRukkZ7bQHPDmsPqgObJwGO02V3uvliz-BXX7ADz7vyM09kLT9vjCdur2U99onabVsXieijlfqbgSYVA

:cheers:

All nice setups-have you considered a good cooler like the Yeti? I know many guys here in the Arizona heat that keep their stuff cool even in the Desert heat for days................

considering this is the 40 forum - so it's unlikely many of you have air conditioning - so as long as it's not in the direct sun, wouldn't it actually be less warm outside the vehicle than it is inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom