Builds Farm Fresh LV (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lawson,

Harbor Freight is hit-or-miss--mostly low cost and low-quality. When the Japanese back in the 1950s first started copying our stuff, they used crappy materials and crappy workmanship, but they evolved rapidly to where they are today. The Chinese copycats seem to evolve much slower. Maybe it's a cultural difference, or maybe the Chinese think we can't tell the difference. Funny how a company like Apple can get the Chinese to make excellent iPhones, but Harbor Freight's guys don't require any high standards at all. Go figure.

I have been way too busy at work but Frank has been sorting out the spaghetti that is the wiring on the LV. I am starting with a Painless universal truck harness with key in the dash 21 circuits. Adding in the Old Air heat and a/c, after market windshield wipers, Dakota Digital dash with dimmer knob, toyota hazard switch, reverse lights, trailer plug with brake controller, front and back interior lights and the stand alone harness for the 5.3. At least I think that is all.
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG

Got a few other things painted in a metallic grey. You can see the dash handle. I also did the instrument face plate and the glove box door. They came out nice. Really just consumed by the wiring right now. Curious about protecting the harness when it is done. I have used plain electrical tape in the past and the guys that did the engine harness used a tape that is cloth based and then I have heard you should used wrap tape that has no adhesive? Anyone used this? How do you end that tape if it has no adhesive? Then there is the split plastic conduit. Do you put that over it all in the end?

Lawson,

Harbor Freight is hit-or-miss--mostly low cost and low-quality. When the Japanese back in the 1950s first started copying our stuff, they used crappy materials and crappy workmanship, but they evolved rapidly to where they are today. The Chinese copycats seem to evolve much slower. Maybe it's a cultural difference, or maybe the Chinese think we can't tell the difference. Funny how a company like Apple can get the Chinese to make excellent iPhones, but Harbor Freight's guys don't require any high standards at all. Go figure.

I read this and will comment. Certainly Harbor Freight will not be in the top 10% of some products, but their price also reflects that. Lawson said there was RUST on a brand new gun. I buy their guns and never have I had rust. I am in Arizona and see he is in Virginia, and maybe storage in Humid Virginia is a contributor.
Also, I buy their 9.99 guns all the time and have cleaned a few , and all is well. Also, it may be somewhat wasteful, but I painted a whole car, never cleaned the guns, and tossed them out. Why, cost for cleaning solutions and time is more than the 9.99 for a gun. Whole car for 3 guns. That is 30.00 for the guns. Now, if I was a professional painter, I probably would only use these guns for anything but topcoat.
Harbor Freight does rate high on a lot of items. I have seen their wrenches improve over the years to a very good quality. They pretty much put Craftsman and Snap-On on the back burner for the hobbyist.

Well, it has been a while but this seems a fitting Halloween treat......She is alive!! I tried to upload a video but could not make it small enough? Sorry. She runs pretty smooth and got all the code errors resolved except one 200 that seems to come and go? Its an injector circuit malfunction but it seems to be running alright? So now that everything seems to be working, time to pull the harness and wrap it up for good and re-install for good....I hope. Then on with reassembly. Finish attaching the fenders. Start cleaning up the door registers and latches for reassembly and mounting. Need to get he seats reupholstered as well. What's the consensus? Do I go back with the springs or just do all foam? I got some used head rests that I plan to install. Sorry to the purists, it's a safety thing. Like the three point seat belts. Cannot wait to get out on the road......

Just throwing this out there as wiring makes me break out in hives, but I would find the source of that code she's throwing before final wrap. It could be a bad wire, etc. Good to hear you got it running.

Dash is coming together now. I used an aftermarket windshield wiper set up in order to get more space for the heat and a/c unit. It also gives me intermittent, high , low. It seems to fit nicely in the corner of the glove box. I also moved the interior dome light forward one brace so it shines more in the front seat. I am adding another dome light in the back right above the upper tailgate hinge access panel. I was able to get an 18g x 3 wire pulled through the tube that runs under the dash to the roof so I also put in door switches.

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

New stainless fuel filler neck and and hose. Hose is for a Falcon or Ranchero.

View attachment 1822256

View attachment 1822258

View attachment 1822259

You might want to pressure test or water test that filler neck before installing. I have found it very hard to make 100% perfect sealed welds on these types of product. What I thought was welded shut was in fact full of tiny pin holes and gas vapor escaped. Being inside the truck this will be a big issue. Looking good otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom