Builds Family haulin' (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plans for the ebrake will be line locks and/or probably a tcase unit. I haven't liked what I read about the GM stuff either and I have all this stuff already in good condition. It will be a cheap way for me to get disc brakes and control the 38s on the slow down.

I'll have to get a pic of the intercooler and radiator together so you can see what it looks like. They are close to the same size.

The good news is that I just sold the Turbo400. Yeah it was cheap but at least it's gone (less clutter, I still have a cut up stepvan that I need to haul off the yard) and that's more money for the project. I'll be picking up my 4L80 today too.

Too Tall,

I haven't hooked the linkage up to the hydroboost unit and I like your suggestion. Do you have any pics of that setup?

Bummer... Called the place I'm getting the tranny from and there was a "shipping" problem. My tranny is at a different location and they only have a truck coming on Monday. Looks like I'll be waiting another week to pick it up since they close before I get off of work on my work days. Guess my luck ran out.

On another note I did get the 203 separated this morning. I've got a show tonight (play keys in a local band) so unfortunately I won't get a full day in today.

We just played at Tiger Bar tonight. It was a good show. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. We are working on some public access TV thing so I'll let you know if it airs anywhere.

monday morning update

Had to work on the DD some. It's going to need some attention in the near future but it's hard to divert my cruiser attention. I got some pics for 72cruiser asking about the intercooler size relation.

Started separating the 203 and ended up doing the cheater cut with a grinder on the rod that controls the backhalf. Anybody have any pics of drain and fill ports on a 203 doubler?

Backhalf

P6150023.JPG

front half (gear reduction part)

P6150024.JPG

203 scrap

P6170047.JPG

intercooler and radiator. It's about as wide but not as tall as I thought.

P6150026.JPG

Other side. I might offset it slightly for radiator fill clearance. We'll see if it's that big a deal in the rig.

P6150028.JPG

Front wheel stud on the right, rear wheel stud on the left. I pounded a set in with the disc on the rear axle using the front studs. Everything looked great until I tried to mount the rims and found that the lug nuts were bottoming on the stud and not the rim. Either I'll need new studs to work or put a spacer between the back of the stud and the disc. I'd rather find new studs that will work.

P6160035.JPG

cleaned the back of the flanges where the discs will mount

P6160037.JPG

next I started doing some painting. Front hangers

P6170045.JPG

painted rear channels

P6170046.JPG

painted the front calipers I'll be using on the rear

P6170049.JPG

another shot

P6170050.JPG

made a bracket to interface the brake pedal and the hydroboost unit. made it longer so I could adjust if needed. I haven't decided whether to drill a hole and weld it, or tap the hole and the rod on the hydroboost unit to just screw it on.

P6170051.JPG

P6170052.JPG

I'll have to cut that eye off to weld or tap.

P6170057.JPG

got a little carried away grinding and cut into this wire. Electical tape will fix that right up, don't ya think?

P6170064.JPG

some parts I've had waiting to be installed. I ordered a set of used FJ62 diffs for the 4.1 ratio. I'll throw this locker in the front and work on funding for one in the rear. The rear will be easier to do later with the access cover.

P6170065.JPG

these boxes are shiney bling

P6170066.JPG

my slotted bling going on the front with 4runner calipers

P6170067.JPG

Last edited:
Dude it's amazing ... Nice proyect and thanks for share all those pics, comments and story :D

I have one comment in your build up .. and a side note I never dealing with cummins engines.

But .. in Toy engines in 60 series, 2H and 12H-T the temp issue is important coz you haven't really much flow rate coz the 60 haven't a wide front grill to allow it ..

So if you gonna palce the intercooler in front I thought you don't gonna have enought room to grill+intercooler+AC condenser + rad .. ( forget tranny cooler )

IMOP you can run without grill intercooler + AC stuff and rad .. and place the tranny cooler in other side .. with a electric fan.

Thanks tapage for your comment. I've followed your cruiser and I think many here including myself feel it's one of the nicest chop tops done. Do you have a site where you post your wheeling pics? That would be great to see.

I've been reading that diesels tend to run cooler than gassers and some of the guys doing these swaps (4bt's but not landcruiser specific) are having a harder time heating up during the winter months. I pulled the water pump just to check it out and it looks like it will move a decent amount of fluid.

I was thinking that with some restriction I could get it to heat up better. I was thinking of running an electric fan (ford contour-dual fans) with the DCC controller even though my 4bta came with a mech fan. I have ideas that I could wire one side or both to be on a low speed so that the intercooler gets constant air flow through it, but maybe it doesn't need it. I'll have to post that question on the 4btswaps site to see what they think and if any of you are running and intercooler perhaps you could chime in: Does an intercooler need constant air flow through it?

That's the only reason I could come up with as to why this 4bta had a mech. fan and others come with electrical fans.

Where do you guys recommend placing a tranny cooler if it's not grouped with the radiator? If it's not in front should I look into a cooler/fan combo?

Also, as for placement of the intercooler-AC-Radiator I will probably have to do some custom mounting meaning the radiator probably won't bolt into the same location. That should make room for the whole stack to fit behind the grill. I love the 60's grill so I've got to keep it.

Thanks tapage for your comment. I've followed your cruiser and I think many here including myself feel it's one of the nicest chop tops done. Do you have a site where you post your wheeling pics? That would be great to see.

I have some wheeling pics in the local forum ( here in Panamá ) and videos .. but haven't yet any with the ragtop evolution :D

I've been reading that diesels tend to run cooler than gassers and some of the guys doing these swaps (4bt's but not landcruiser specific) are having a harder time heating up during the winter months.

Fact it my bad .. I'm alwais thinking you are here in Panamá where the heat it's a issue .. but fortunately for you not !

To get better performance form a intercooler, you must keep the air flow throught this .. but if it centanly afecto your performance .. maybe you don't gonna feel it at low rpm/speed ..

In fact when you need all HP and lb/p from your engine, most of the time gonna be in the HW at high rpm/speed when the aire flow thought the intercooler/AC/rad come great .. and you get the better performance from your intercoled engine.

Anycase at low ARM with a manually activated electric fan front or behind the intercooler make the job ..

more stuff

I've been waiting to find someone with a 1 inch breaker bar to get those lug nuts off of the stepvan rear so I could get to the leaves. I didn't want to wait any longer so I yanked the leaves and preped them for painting.

P6210006.JPG

I tried a couple of configurations and decided on this: ranger main-stepvan 2nd-ranger 2nd-stepvan 3rd-stepvan 4th. So it's a 5 leaf pack. I thought it might be too light since the landcruiser packs have more than that and the 4bta is a few pounds heavier than the 2F, but the landcruiser leaves are thinner than these so I'll start with this and if I need more I preped 4 more leaves for add on front or rear. The center bolt is too long so I'll need to pick up a shorter one to tighten it up.

P6240074.JPG

the front and rear packs for comparison

P6240091.JPG

the rear pack mock up. I want to move those back just a little because cuting the well up behind the wheel will be easier than messing with the front of the well. I already plan to cut the rear quarter panels anyways.

P6210019.JPG

about where the front will hit

P6210022.JPG

about where the rear will hit

P6210024.JPG

here is my grill finished. I thought I might be the first to try this sceme out but there was a FJ62 that posted a similar look, darn. I used that hammerite stuff.

P6210027.JPG

cutting up some of the stepvan frame to make my box sections for the cruiser rear end.

P6220068.JPG

made these to fit inside the cruiser frame for welding. Painted the inside side.

P6240079.JPG

outside side

P6240081.JPG

here's what they look like in the frame. I'll put a diamond-shaped plate over the vertical weld to tie the two together.

P6240094.JPG

finally got my tranny. shipping dilema over. 4L80e passenger side.

P6240075.JPG

drivers' side, it had a gear position sensor unit on the shifter but I took that off since I don't plan on using it.

P6240076.JPG

bellhousing and torque converter. I'll need to get a different torque converter to better suit the torque curve of the diesel. Will definitely want to keep it lock-up too.

P6240077.JPG

4L80e rear. I did get the 4x4 adapter but I took it off to see what it looks like on the 203.

P6240078.JPG

painted the front hubs

P6240082.JPG

4x4 4L80e adapter tranny side.

P6240084.JPG

4x4 4L80e adapter transfer case side.

P6240085.JPG

4x4 4L80e adapter side view

P6240086.JPG

Last edited:
Rough mock up of the 4x4 4L80e adapter on the 203. I won't be able to mark any holes for drilling until I get a 32 spline input shaft and install it to center it on the tranny output.

P6240088.JPG

cut up the front disc backing plates and kept these for the spacing.

P6240090.JPG

That's what I got done last weekend. I have a baby "coming" next weekend (he'll come when he really wants to but the induction will be next weekend) so I'll get outside when I can. I also received my FJ60 3rds this weekend. I wanted the 4.1 diff ratio and used ones were much cheaper than new gears.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's always great when grandma comes. No matter how old I get she likes to fill up our freezer whenever she comes. :)

No baby yet so I got a chance to work outside.

Finally got the rear frame boxed in. Since my ready welder is powered by batteries and I was only able to get a five inch bead before a charge was needed I knew my batteries were shot. I had my batteries tested and only needed one. Once I hooked them up together I was able to weld all I wanted. Much better.

Passenger side

P7010001.JPG

driver side

P7010003.JPG

I've got 4.10s and the original 3.70s to play with. I plan on running the 4.10s since I have an overdrive tranny.

P7010004.JPG

made the rear hangers, just need to drill the holes on my neighbor's drill press.

P7010005.JPG

P7010007.JPG

started cleaning off the tranny. This is the torque converter and the filter. I talked to txchange.com since they are local and got a quote for a HD diesel converter for $230 and a billet one for $293. They will also take my TC even though it's a higher stall for the core charge. I've got a few more places to call but I thought that was alright plus they are local.

P7010008.JPG

input shaft. I grabbed a seal to replace since I'm in there.

P7010009.JPG

took off the pan and wiped up. I just bought the trans-go kit to convert it to full manual and will be reading the instructions 7 times before I do anything.

P7010010.JPG

Last edited:
Rough mock up of the 4x4 4L80e adapter on the 203. I won't be able to mark any holes for drilling until I get a 32 spline input shaft and install it to center it on the tranny output.

2996670280041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

the 203 centers on the bearing retainer, not the input shaft. So it makes no difference what spline count the input is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom