69 FJ40 'F' to 85 '2F' swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have a bone stock 69 FJ40 that hasn't run for awhile. A friend at work has a late 85 FJ60 that he's doing a 350/700R4 swap on. His FJ60 has 2F/4 speed w/118K miles and runs really well. He sold me the motor and tranny for a couple hundred bucks. He's almost done with his swap and I want to start mine.

Here are my questions. First, is the F to 2F swap a pretty straight forward swap with out any major modifications? I got all of the external engine parts in the deal. And, is the length of the (post Aug, 1985) 4 speed going to be a problem for the short wheel base of the FJ40? I was thinking of just swapping the motors for now and doing the trannys later.

Will my transfer case be compatible with the newer 4 speed, or do I need to change that too?

One final question. My 69 FJ40 has 79K original miles and has ALL of the original equipment. (even the light that plugs under the dash) Will I hurt the value of my rig by changing the motor and tranny out?

Thanks for your replies in advance. This looks like a great site and I've enjoyed reading all of the helpful information.

Penroseton

i don't think it'll hurt the value but the above question is valid.

2F swap

Hi,

The current 'F' motor hasn't run in awhile and I was going to have it rebuilt. I figured the 2F motor would be a stronger more dependable engine, since it has all the modern technology changes. At least the technology up to 1985... It didn't hurt that my buddy gave me a pretty fair price.

Thanks for the replies.

Tony

I've done this swap. '70 F for '81 2F. Better oiling and more power (marginal) in the 2F. Easy swap. As far as value goes you can always keep the F and put it back in later shuld you sell. The only modern things I used on the 2F was the distributer (lose the points), water pump, oil cooler. The rest I pulled off the F. Keeps an original look and with a '69 you don't need a smog pump or a hundred vacuum lines. If you plan on water crossing use the 2F alternator setup. This will put it at the top of the motor rather than the bottom. If you retain the F motor mount brackets you will need to drill the three holes out a tad larger as the 2F used larger bolts. I'm sure there is more but they are minor.
I swapped my F because #1 lost compression and #4 was going downhill. With the low miles one your truck are you sure the engine is bad or could it be a carb., distributer, etc. issue? I have to agree with the others. I'd run the F if it's good.

Chris

Here is a pic of the 2F dressed in F clothing.
DSCN2217-A.JPG

my engine swap was done like that. I retained everything as far as the pully setup with my 2f. If you didn't know what you were lookin at , it might look stock to the untrained eye.

F to 2F

I think I'll pull and see what it looks like on the inside. If it looks okay, I just might rebuild that instead. I'll keep you posted on this.

What about the 85 4 speed? Is that a difficult conversion? Not too crazy about 3 on the tree...

Thanks, Penroseton

My .02 is that an original engine is more desirable only if sold, and to someone wanting an original crusier. If it's a clean looking crusier I'd stick with the F but it depends on what you want to do with it and how modified or not the cruiser is...

What's wrong with the F? low compression? Low oil pressure??

Penroseton said:
Here are my questions. First, is the F to 2F swap a pretty straight forward swap with out any major modifications? I got all of the external engine parts in the deal. And, is the length of the (post Aug, 1985) 4 speed going to be a problem for the short wheel base of the FJ40? I was thinking of just swapping the motors for now and doing the trannys later.

Will my transfer case be compatible with the newer 4 speed, or do I need to change that too?

I installed a 2F from a 1986 FJ60 into my 1969 FJ40 project (aka Project Basketcase). I used most of the 2F, but lost all the smog stuff. The smog pump was gutted to use as an idler for the water pump.

I'm using the H55F 5-speed tranny. It's about the same as the late FJ60 4-speed, and a little longer than the early FJ60 tranny. I needed to install a 1" body lift to clear the tranny/transfercase. Also, the tranny is signficantly taller than the 3-speed and the tranny "doghouse" will need modification to clear the top of the tranny. Also, the FJ60 tranny is floor shift, and the TC is as well (no vacuum shift or column shift).

My rear driveshaft is very short (18" IIRC). I installed a double cardon shaft in the rear (modified FJ60 front). You cannot use your transfercase with the FJ60 tranny, you need to use the split case. You can install your tranny/tc to the back of the 2F, but I seem to recall the bellhousing bolts are different between the two motors, so save them. Something else to consider is the output flanges from the FJ60 case will not bolt up to your driveshafts. The bolt pattern and size is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom