Extended Sway Bar Links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I apologize if this is repeating a past thread...but here it goes. I, like many of you, immediately cranked the torsion bars and added taller rear springs as soon as I had my new to me LC baselined. I immediately noticed a harsher ride. Not stiff, just harsh is the only way I can describe it. I replaced every bushing and rubber bit I could find as well as new OEM shocks on all 4 corners....all to minimally evident results. I then decided to bite the bullet and install @TRAIL TAILOR extended links....I cannot believe the difference it made. The ride feels better than new. Firm but yielding and compliant. I could not be happier with the results. Thank you Jason!

I apologize if this is repeating a past thread...but here it goes. I, like many of you, immediately cranked the torsion bars and added taller rear springs as soon as I had my new to me LC baselined. I immediately noticed a harsher ride. Not stiff, just harsh is the only way I can describe it. I replaced every bushing and rubber bit I could find as well as new OEM shocks on all 4 corners....all to minimally evident results. I then decided to bite the bullet and install @TRAIL TAILOR extended links....I cannot believe the difference it made. The ride feels better than new. Firm but yielding and compliant. I could not be happier with the results. Thank you Jason!

did you replace brand new links, with TT links... or shot crusty links, with TT links....

Last edited:
Okay i'll bite, how much are these things, i want to change mine and see, i keep hearing great things about it.

Good to know.. I have a set of TT extended links to install.

did you replace brand new links, with TT links... or shot crusty links, with TT links....

Has to be the latter, right? Extended links generally do nothing to normal driving. It's until you counter rotate one against the other to minimize body roll. Extending will help with articulation some, but how are you getting "better than new" unless your existing bushings were toast?

Has to be the latter, right? Extended links generally do nothing to normal driving. It's until you counter rotate one against the other to minimize body roll. Extending will help with articulation some, but how are you getting "better than new" unless your existing bushings were toast?

Maybe with the extended links, the sway bars are less pre-tensioned & reduce the overall springiness of an oversprung vehicle?

When I say better than new, I’m referring to the ride prior to torsion bar adjustment and OME 865 springs. Stock ride height, no mods.

Maybe with the extended links, the sway bars are less pre-tensioned & reduce the overall springiness of an oversprung vehicle?

I don’t know the physics behind it, but that was my thinking. Minimizing the pre-load on the sway bars.

Quick "physics" behind it: when the right side is level with the left, there is no load on the bars whatsoever. Let's say that you come across a speed bump and both tires traverse that bump at the same time, no load; both ends of the bar are traveling the same path up and down. When you flex the suspension, each end goes a different direction, load. The ANTI-sway bar is designed to resist that flex to minimize "sway" or as we know it, body roll. Now when you add extended links to the end of the bars, that does nothing to the ride because all it is doing is moving the ends of the bar further away from where the link connects to the suspension, the LCA for the front (the live axles for the rear). That's all. Nothing aforementioned above regarding loaded or unloaded scenario changes. The extension is correcting the position of the sway bar because you are lifted, moving the sway bar back to the OE position it was meant to be prior to the lift.

If you really want to dig deeper, google KDSS Toyota, to see how the engineers across the pond threw a whole bunch of technology towards the solution.

Last edited:
Okay i'll bite, how much are these things, i want to change mine and see, i keep hearing great things about it.

Do it...totally worth the switch! it's about $210 for both front and rear

Just ordered front and rear extended, ill judge if its any different. I have new oem links on the car right now and will be for sale.

Just ordered front and rear extended, ill judge if its any different. I have new oem links on the car right now and will be for sale.
I hope you won't notice a difference, otherwise I'll somehow have to import a set into the EU:D

I hope you won't notice a difference, otherwise I'll somehow have to import a set into the EU:D

If you need it I can buy it and ship it international for you.

Here's a set I knocked out. Don't melt the rubber when welding!

Front and rear sway bar links finished at 2am. Welds are strong, but ugly. Almost pulled the trigger on a Trail Taylor set, but could cough up the $. Can't wait to feel them on the truck.

Yes, I used the bent orange pitted tubing you see. Found it out back underwater in a scrap bin. Perfect fit. Worked inside and out to clean fresh metal.

View attachment 1985104

View attachment 1985105

I just returned from a test drive of the trail tailor extended sway bar links and it turns out it does make a difference. Much better drivability and better ride quality. As if the suspension is no longer under stress. Its really improved the ride quality greatly.

I just returned from a test drive of the trail tailor extended sway bar links and it turns out it does make a difference. Much better drivability and better ride quality. As if the suspension is no longer under stress. Its really improved the ride quality greatly.
Did you do both front and rear?

I've worked on a number of lifted rigs, with stock links. What I notice just in normal DD on city street. The rig has a boaty feel, rocking side to side, like a 200 series LC. My thinking has been; too much tension on the sway bars. So I've been recommended the TT extended. No one yet has reported back to me, the feel. So I'm still wondering if the right call?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom