Embarrasingly NOOB questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am a new Landcruiser owner, but have owned a modified Tacoma for 9 years now. I just purchased a '96 cruiser that has a 1HD-t swap, bald tires and the OME stock height suspension under it. Because of the diesel engine, I'm considering attempting to put 35" tires on it to keep highway RPMs in the optimal 2000-2200 range. (I read that's good idea on here... is it?) What I can't get a good answer on is can I run 315s with that suspension on the street without too much issue? I've read posts indicating everything from "stock suspension with 315s is ok" to "you need 5"+ of lift to run 315s". Long term, I plan on putting a lift on this rig but I need to get tires for it before I drive it in the New England winter. I can avoid rock crawling for the short term but I do travel up to our lake cabin in the winter. This involves climbing over over some small snow drifts. (usually less than a foot of packed snow/ice) What do you guys suggest?

Also, on a side note, the Landcruiser has a Gturbo Grunter on it, with a 14 psi spring for an hz motor. Do any of you have suggestions on whether I can put the 1HD-T 18 psi spring in there and tune for it? (do I need other modifications?)

Thanks in advance,

I've got OME stock heighters. The 315 will fit fine and look cool to boot!

Can't answer a single question you asked, but I can offer a mud welcome :flipoff2:.

I'm sure others will chime in that have diesels, but you could post your diesel specific questions here to get some input.

Diesel Tech / 24 volts

I've got OME stock heighters. The 315 will fit fine and look cool to boot!
This is good news! Have you tried any off riad stuff with the 315s? Do you think I could go down some easy trails with causing damage?
Can't answer a single question you asked, but I can offer a mud welcome :flipoff2:.

I'm sure others will chime in that have diesels, but you could post your diesel specific questions here to get some input.

Diesel Tech / 24 volts

Thanks for the welcome and good idea. If I don't get a response over here, I'll try a new thread in the diesel section.

I have 315's on mine on stock suspension. No major rubbing, but have not wheel'd it at all. Looks a little goofy IMO, but they were on it when I bought it...

I've rubbed my 33's on stock height suspension and a 1" body lift when flexing it out (for what the stock will do). Wasn't bad but makes me assume 35's would be an issue without a lift for what I do with the truck. Think a 2-3" suspension along with the 1" body lift would clear 35's easy.

I've read posts indicating everything from "stock suspension with 315s is ok" to "you need 5"+ of lift to run 315s".
If you don't get the same range of replies in your thread, it will only be because you don't get enough replies. Most people who thought 35's fit on stock suspension, still will. The people who quote Slee's post from the FAQs (which says you need 4" of lift, or other mods to fit 35's) will continue to quote Slee.

I had 315s on factory rims with a 2" lift, the rears would rub a bit under full flex. I'm sure you would get away with them for a while as long as you don't flex it up heaps and keep the sway bars on.

Hello, fellow noob! I have a stock height 97 LX450 with 315's on it (General Grabber AT2) and they do fit. But any sort of flexing with these causes rubbing on my flares. They actually rubbed when turning under no flex conditions, and I had to trim my front bumper plastic an inch so that the edges of the tires wouldn't hit anymore. But the General Grabbers are a little on the big side of 35's, from what I read...I do plan on doing an OME J-spring lift to get this problem (what a problem to have!) solved. Hope this helps!

fwiw, I have ome stock height springs and 285/78/16 duratracs on my lx450 and I tend to rub on my rear flares out on the trail. Not heavily loaded down either.

I have an 80 with a 1HDT and 315 tires. On sagging 2" springs it would rub on the rear flares when wheeling but was OK on the street. Performance is a bit sluggish on stock gears but I plan on changing to 4.88s soon.

Thanks for the replies, you guys. So, it sounds like I can go with 315s as long as I don't go out and wheel the truck. I plan on looking for some OME 2.5" springs to hold me over until I find out what lift I want on the truck, long term. I'm hoping I can get those on sooner than later. Since the previous owner pulled the fender flares, I won't have to worry about them rubbing... but I really want to put flares back on to protect from road grime and salt. What do you guys think about the Pocket Fender Flares? Are they any good? Do they offer any extra clearance than the stockers? Here's a link:

92-97 Land Cruiser Pocket Flares

Thanks for all of your feedback!

Thanks for the replies, you guys. So, it sounds like I can go with 315s as long as I don't go out and wheel the truck. I plan on looking for some OME 2.5" springs to hold me over until I find out what lift I want on the truck, long term. I'm hoping I can get those on sooner than later. Since the previous owner pulled the fender flares, I won't have to worry about them rubbing... but I really want to put flares back on to protect from road grime and salt. What do you guys think about the Pocket Fender Flares? Are they any good? Do they offer any extra clearance than the stockers? Here's a link:

You'll be fine. I had 315s on 22 year old stock suspension for about a month or so until I installed my lift. I went on forest roads and that sort of thing with no issue - anything more than that though would have been a problem.

If you are already flareless I would just leave it that way. You'll probably end up wanting to go that route at some point anyway.

I certainly wouldn't add back flares immediately after adding tires that some people are saying will rub (even on a flareless rig) until you decide on what lift (if any) you plan. If you like the look of those flares, they may interest you down the road. If you want to replace the factory flares, you can often find them used in the classified section of Mud. A hint about how often the factory flares get torn off on the trail, is that you typically don't find people offering full sets of used flares. Using the search bar in the top right of this page, I found a few other threads about pocket flares. Some of them may interest you. Search Results for Query: pocket flares | IH8MUD Forum

If you haven't seen this thread If I was to start all over again, I would... I thinks it's a worthwhile thread for any noob, or any owner of an unmodified truck. There are several people saying they wish they had done fewer or smaller mods.

I'm planning on repainting this truck and doing a mini "restore" on it... making it feel like a new rig, when I'm done. So, I'm trying to avoid the bed liner type solution. That being said, the main reason for my interest in flares is the New England/Rustbelt road salt. I like the idea of having all the wheel well area all buttoned up and preventing the classic wheel well rust. Like I said, this truck will get lifted ~3 inches during it's build and I can avoid wheeling until that point. So, it sounds like rubbing won't be an issue with the 315s. Are there any other popular options for corrosion prevention?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom