early door window regulator help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was hoping to find any advice from the pros in here on how to replace window regulator on early FJ40. I have the wing vent windows on this door. The access to the innards of this door look like a PITA! If anyone has any photos or has a simple 'do it yourself' guide to do this, I'd welcome any help. Ive seen the post 'tackling the doors' in this forum but that is from a different style of door. My doors have the plate with six hex bolts on the lower half of the panel if that helps. I believe these doors do not come apart. I'm in the process of restoring these doors and have all the felts and weatherstripping too...hoping this will be a rather simple job for the weekend warrior here. Thanks.

IMG_7836.JPG

I am finishing this up today on mine. Super simple. You don't need to remove the vent window spring( found out on the second one). Make sure the window is out when you replace inside felt and outside rubber piece. Just a little prying to separate the door when lifting the upper portion out.

Not all that hard...

Remove all screws

Remove circular cover for wing window

Remove wing assembly

Remove weatherstripping

Position window to remove from track the crank

Remove top portion of door assembly

Agreed not difficult at all. You got this!

I am finishing this up today on mine. Super simple. You don't need to remove the vent window spring( found out on the second one). Make sure the window is out when you replace inside felt and outside rubber piece. Just a little prying to separate the door when lifting the upper portion out.
Thanks to you both. I will try and get to it later today... question though... I don't need to take main window out, correct? I'm Assuming just wing vent window? Thanks

ok...window regulator out. I'm assuming putting back in after I clean and paint everything etc will be just as easy. The part pulled right out and I see a wheel on one end of the regulator...please tell me the regulator
goes back in just as easy :)

Undo the 2 bolts that hold the bottom out bumper near the bottom of the door and remove the bracket and bumper, roll the reg and window all the way down until the reg arm roller deal comes out of the window track, remove the reg screws and out she comes without removing the window frames.

D

IMG_6156.JPG
IMG_6159.JPG
IMG_6160.JPG

Has anyone noticed a slight bow in the door window channel? Guessing it was originally straight. My guesses are sometimes wrong though. I don't think the bend will cause too much bind, not sure though.

BTW I sure do like the OEM weatherstripping I got from Mark's of Burbank. Far superior to the chinese aftermarket stuff I used on my first 40 resto.

@sundevil64 don't reassemble like I did. I inserted glass and regulator then dropped the window channel in. I should have installed the door lock first. The clip is a challenge to get over the lock with channel in the way. By golly I wasn't going to remove everything for a damn lock. I guess I held my mouth right because I just got the clip on. Whahoo!

IMG_6165.JPG

Discovered I should have had my wing window mounted on the window channel frame before I stabbed the channel into the door bottom. Assembling the wing window stopper after the fact was not easy. If I had a do over I would slide the window channel into the door over the installed glass. I would rest the channel on some wedges so that I could feed the wing windo main shaft in and slip the stopper into position. Remove the wedges and add washers and nuts via the access hole.

I used @Cruiser Corps aftermarket wing window seals. They are very nice and installed easily with soapy water.

Also I was able to roll my window down low enough to pop in the inner felt and the outter rain seal.

@Cruiser Corps @thebigredrocker

It appears to me that the front door crank windows on E - 74 doors have offsets in the bottom channel that the regulator 'wheel' rides in.

Do you know which offset channel goes with which door?

It seems that the lower channel could be offset towards the hinge or towards the door lock assembly.

Any suggestions?

Crank window bottom channels.jpg

I'm drawing a blank Kevin. If needed I could run to cruiser storage and peek in my assembled doors. The cruiser's have been displaced by a crappy running 03 suburban and a code throwing 03 tahoe.
Mark's Off Road @65swb45 has amazing powers of instant recall for details that I might never notice and If noticed would leave my brain in less than 1 week:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom