Early 40 vent window adjuster plug..Unreal... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
So what do you do, when you try to remove the 47 year old plastic VWAHP (vent window adjuster hole plug) and it shatters? Yes they do not come out, they disintegrate.

I mentioned this to my buddy Sggoat Gary the other day while we were messing around with my 40. He said do you have the old one? I had it pieced back together on a wide piece of masking tape. Goat took it home and a few days later he came back over with these.
Wow!! The ones I am using are made from Genuine Central Congo
garys vent window plug 005.jpg
Baboon Hard Wood, I think he said that's what it is, the others are Filipino Mahogany and look darn good too. He made the spring assemblies to attach it to the hole and it works great and I now have easy access to the adjuster inside. Since my Land Cruiser is an exotic vehicle I figured the more exotic wood was appropriate. But I can interchange if I want to with the fine Filipino Mahogany. Yes Gary cranked 'em out on his lathe.. A Professional Problem Solver is He and an Engineering Artiste as well.

OK correction, Just talked to Gary, the wood is Cocobolo a very dense wood...Well It's still an exotic hardwood....

garys vent window plug 006.jpg
garys vent window plug 008.jpg
garys vent window plug 007.jpg
garys vent window plug 004.jpg

Last edited:
:cool:

I remember somebody making a plastic replacement here on MUD - my search fu is low tonight, though, long day at work :rolleyes:

Cool solution to a very common problem in the US. Ours here are covered by inner door panels and don't seem to have the same problem.

The SOR ones appear to be made of rubber and be flatter. The originals have more of a dome shape to them from what I remember.

Someone on mud here did make plastic replacements... don't know if he still makes them. @Racer likely has a solution... or soon will.

I have some SOR i have not tried yet. But also found some good used ones in a box.

But in the US it's not covered, it's exposed like in the pic.

45lv....Need some of those

I was working with a guy on this but it never came to fruition. I am looking at some other options right now just need to get some samples. The $20 for the SOR ones seems a bit ridiculous. Getting that domed shape is the problem. I think this is a low demand item can't imagine @Racer65 pursuing something like this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom