Due to RIGHT Tail Light Assemblies make a LEFT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jarhead0802

SILVER Star
Threads
While upgrading to LED lights, I'm replacing the front and rear signal lights assemblies to remove the weak links.

As Toyota is NLA on LEFT rear tail light assembly (81560-60111), has anyone tried using two RIGHT rear lights (81550-60191) instead?

In earlier posts, the reason to source Aftermarket is that Toyota's item has appropriate placed weep ports. That said, I suspect my tail lights are originals and no evidence of a weep port is on either set.

Am I missing something?

I also checked with Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters and he is out-of-stock on LEFT rear light assembly too

Other than the difference between assemblies mounting holes, what am I missing?

IMG_0293.JPG

LEFT SIDE light

IMG_0298.JPG

RIGHT SIDE light

IMG_0299.JPG

I don't see a "weep" port - perhaps this is why my lights are trashed?

That all said, with Kurt out-of-stock and no ETA on when he will have more in stock - is it worth sourcing two RIGHT OEMs when their price is nearly the same of the aftermarket?

I copied the part # and did a search. I clicked on the first site which showed the 1971ish round lights. I see now you are talking later combo lights.

I got a bunch of new OEM Toyota stuff from Mark's Offroad. Might be worth a phone call to see if he has any.

I got a bunch of new OEM Toyota stuff from Mark's Offroad. Might be worth a phone call to see if he has any.

I might try Mark as Kurt is out of rear left lights. :bang:

Forum posts on replacing these lights are rare and with those seeking a pair are advised to purchase an aftermarket set. Now the decent aftermarket solution is closing in on a costs of a Toyota.

I'm surprise I can't find a forum post where someone just used two RIGHT lights to make a LEFT. :worms:

I have done it. No biggie .The only thing I ever noticed is the lenses are side specific. So if you put a right assembly on the left the dot and words will be upside down.

I don't think the mounting holes are different. They should be able to swap from side to side if I remember correctly. Stack them on top of each other making them both left or right pretty sure the holes are the same.

I have done it. No biggie .The only thing I ever noticed is the lenses are side specific. So if you put a right assembly on the left the dot and words will be upside down.

I don't think the mounting holes are different. They should be able to swap from side to side if I remember correctly. Stack them on top of each other making them both left or right pretty sure the holes are the same.

Thanks. My replaced lenses are in great condition. I can easily make the readable a non issue

I can build lefts for the same price :D

The weep holes on the lens and the corresponding gasket are the only hangup.

PS, where are you seeing OEM's for the same price as aftermarket?

I can build lefts for the cost of a lense

Now you tell me o_O

The weep holes on the lense are the only hangup.

Oddly, my lenses look brand new on the set I'm replacing. And, I never thought to check the lenses for the weep hole patterns:doh:

PS, where are you seeing OEM's for the same price as aftermarket?

My local Toyota dealer has the RIGHT assembly (81550-60191) for $72.75 no shipping charge

With Cruiser Outfitter out-of-stock on LEFT, Cool Cruiser has LEFT (A81560-60192) for $69.71 plus shipping

Roger, City Racer has OEM left and right, for the 79+, they are OEM. I got the side that was still available from my dealer, other side from Roger.

Now you tell me o_O
With Cruiser Outfitter out-of-stock on LEFT, Cool Cruiser has LEFT (A81560-60192) for $69.71 plus shipping

Gotcha, yeah that's a bit more than we have been selling them for. We've sold thousands of the Japanese aftermarket ones over the last 20 years and ended up buying all their remaiming inventory when they told us they were discontinuing all those part numbers 4-5 years ago. Sadly we are getting down to the final numbers on them. We're working on a future Japanese source.

yikes, got mine last week. Funny as I have no need for it(them), but wanted to get a pair of OEM before they were vaporware.

I just received left and right from him this week. I guess I cut it pretty close!

yikes, got mine last week. Funny as I have no need for it(them), but wanted to get a pair of OEM before they were vaporware.

There are still some waiting to see the sunlight :D

OE_tail_light.jpg

Here is the difference between LH and RH, as noted we have the Japanese lenses (and OEM) so mixing and matching isn't a hug issue BUT we are in fact down to a SINGLE 79+ aftermarket light so I can't make a pair. As a note, many of the aftermarket (even Japanese) no longer have any drains on the bottom of the lens (easy to add) so really they are universal out of the box BUT as our Japanese source discontinued them, it's really a moot point until we find another source. We can however use a Coolerman plug to convert a 4-pin to a 5 pin. Details on that in this thread: Ultimate OEM 4X SERIES PARTS IN STOCK

This is the remainder of our Japanese aftermarket stuff (outside of my personal hoard :D)
aftermarket-TL.jpg

This is the difference in lenses, the gasket is different as well.

TL-drain.jpg

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I just started my complete rebuild after letting my '82 gestate in a VT barn for 25 years while I lived life (otherwise called work) and didn't want to find myself without at the end, since I have all the other OEM lights and reflectors that I've accumulated over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom