Dr Slug's 1983 BJ42 Build Thread - Yes I need a name for my truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great progress mate! She's looking really good, and all done in a single garage?! Respect.:clap:

Falco80 said:
Great progress mate! She's looking really good, and all done in a single garage?! Respect.:clap:

Hey Dan, yeah all work has been done at home in the single garage, although I've had numerous items scattered around the lounge room as well.

Well remember when I was saying I was hoping the roll bar would fit with the roof on -

e92162f7.jpg

Seems I didn't measure properly, the bends on the bar are too close to the sides. So I had to grind back off the support plates, cut 25mm off each leg of the bar and then weld the plates back on. Chewed up the whole day today, but in the end I got it right. At least the bar looks like it will line up and be even when the roof is on now, when I sat the roof on there this morning it looked higher on the passenger side.

Cheers,

Well second take with the roll bar, and it all fits well. Re-mounted the side panels over the weekend and tested the roof for sizing.

Started the tear down of the roof, here's what I started with-

49f483fc.jpg

703eeadd.jpg

As you can see the steel gutter edge has seen better days in some spots, but nothing a grinder and some touch up welding cant fix-

75e72792.jpg

Well cut out the crap parts on Saturday and welding in new steel to the affected areas. Didn't take as long as I would of thought. Next stage was to get the wire wheel running along the inside of the channel to remove all the factory chalking, and some silicone that a previous owner must of pumped into the channel to stop leaking.

8a499da1.jpg

Got the full POR-15 treatment that I have been using on the truck, once again I should of used gloves while using it - it lasts for days on your hands!

Then starting filling the channel with Sikaflex. I'm going to do several thin layers of this over the next week to build it up, hopefully filling most of the channel to prevent water buildup. I thought about fibreglassing the channel in, but the Sikaflex will bend and move with the truck as required - no chance of cracking then.

1e998e49.jpg

A couple of the rivets had come loose in spots as well, so replaced these as I went.

While the POR-15 was drying I had a chance to whack on the spare tire -

Also found a rubber cap to put over the end of the handle, this works well to stop paint chipping off when closing the catch. Still have to find a small spring to complete this section off-

37fb4740.jpg

6261d67f.jpg

Made up a locking catch for the swing out tailgate. I didn't even think about having a setup on the inside until after I had done it. But at least this design uses the existing holes on the outside the the ambulance door hinges would of been on- Just got to paint it up now, going to stick with a black for this one in case a padlock ends up chipping away at the paint over time.

c33badb5.jpg

While still waiting for the paint to dry, and avoiding the fridge, I decided to get my spotties out of the box in the spare bedroom. Slowly I'm working through the boxes in there, and much to the :princess: delight I'm down to only 4 boxes in there now. Got the steel wool on the chrome pieces of these, and they sit pretty well on the bar. Haven't wired them up yet, that will be a job for later-

e7f89f03.jpg

c1687c22.jpg

They are the IPF 900 model. I used to think they were as bright as I would need, until I found a HID kit for the headlights in one of the boxes in the spare bedroom. Whacked this in on Saturday arvo as well, and was amazed at the light output. They are a 55w 4300k kit that I bought on ebay a while back. Well after seeing the light output on these I went inside and started looking for an upgrade kit for the IPF 900 spotlights. From the pic you can't really appreciated how much different the light is, when I clean out more space in the garage and adjust them, I'll take some better pics of with and without the HID kit.

c68e90cd.jpg

a2e461ce.jpg

One problem - how crap do the parking lights on the fenders look now :doh:

:cheers:

Great work DrSlug.

My 40 used to look exactly like your 79 BJ.

Keep it up :beer:

Can you source the gaskets between the mirror and the door?

Looks good Col. Mustard.. in the garage.. with the bottle jack..

cult45 said:
Can you source the gaskets between the mirror and the door?

Looks good Col. Mustard.. in the garage.. with the bottle jack..

I usually just cut my own bit of neoprene rubber for the gaskets, but for the mirrors I used the ones that came with them. I had bought these for my old truck, just repainted the arms after a little surface rust. Its only a piece of black plastic, wouldn't be too hard to make up though.

Ah yes the bottle jack and I have become well aquainted, once I got the front bar on I've used the hi-lift more though. Just dont have the space at the rear of the garage to swing the arm.

Cheers

Tidy build mate. Love the fact your doing all of it in a single garage. I struggle with mine in a double shed at times. Keep up the good work!

FJsnoozer said:
Are those Ambulance door hinges on the tailgate, or are they Barn door hinges?

Hey mate, they are Ambulance door hinges, but they are the bottom ones. I tried to use the top ones and kept wondering why it wouldn't sit right, took a little bit of staring at it till I realised the top ones are angled for the body angle. I had a spare set of ambulance doors anyway, so pinched the bottom two hinges off those.

Cheers

Twisty said:
Tidy build mate. Love the fact your doing all of it in a single garage. I struggle with mine in a double shed at times. Keep up the good work!

At night I dream of double sheds in my sleep.

Thanks for that, you still getting rid of your truck?

At night I dream of double sheds in my sleep.

Thanks for that, you still getting rid of your truck?

LOL!

Yeah, still getting rid of the silver one and building up steelarts stretched and coiloved BJ42. So far have had no interest in the silver 40 (it's on carsales) but I know thats cause I have too much $ on it for what it is (unfinished project). So it will probably end up being parted out. Which is a shame, but I know I can get the $ i need for it then.

DrSlug said:
Hey mate, they are Ambulance door hinges, but they are the bottom ones. I tried to use the top ones and kept wondering why it wouldn't sit right, took a little bit of staring at it till I realised the top ones are angled for the body angle. I had a spare set of ambulance doors anyway, so pinched the bottom two hinges off those.

Cheers

Great, that's a big help. I also am doing what you are doing. However, I might modify barn door hinges to work if their mounting holes Line up on the body.

Have you thought about a rubber bumper on the inside of the tire carrier for the "back door" to rest against invade win takes it an swings it open? I'm thinking about one for mine.

Last edited:
Great, that's a big help. I also am doing what you are doing. However, I might modify barn door hinges to work if their mounting holes Line up on the body.

Have you thought about a rubber bumper on the inside of the tire carrier for the "back door" to rest against invade win takes it an swings it open? I'm thinking about one for mine.

FJ , this is what the original looks like, I assume mine is still as it was fitted by Toyota,,,
IMG_0384.jpg

FJsnoozer said:

Whats wrong with mine?

fb9653be.jpg

But seriously yeah I have thought about it, but thinking I need a bigger bit of rubber as the stock one doesnt protect the tailgate as much.

Cheers :)

I was thinking about something like this for mine.

exhaust-link-pipe-protector-centre-stand-stopper-rubber-1870-p[ekm]300x269[ekm].jpg

I think your latch is awesome, I was on a boat this past weekend and it inspired me to look around for marine grade stainless stuff for my doors, I found your latch in stainless for cheap!

Latch ->Cabinet Hardware

Last edited:
FJsnoozer said:
I was thinking about something like this for mine.

I think your latch is awesome, I was on a boat this past weekend and it inspired me to look around for marine grade stainless stuff for my doors, I found your latch in stainless for cheap!

Latch ->Cabinet Hardware

I love the look of that, I might have to look around for a stainless version in marine shops over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom