Builds Do I have your attention.... I call it VERA. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious, which one had the electrical lug ? what for ? Dome light ground ?

Curious, which one had the electrical lug ? what for ? Dome light ground ?

I assume you are referring to this image. This is not any OEM Toyota thing. This is all about removing the old bolts by welding a new nut on the remaining parts of a bolt that head has broken off. When the old remainder of a bolt you are trying to get out is broken close to flush with the old captured nut, put down a copper lug that is the same size of the threads of the old bolt, put your new nut on top and fill the middle with weld -- HOT weld. The copper lug will keep you from welding the old parts together.

1682360478369.png

I'm in Nor Cal and my 40 sits outside , uncovered for 23 years, no top, only real rust is the leaf springs and a tiny bit where I smashed a rocker, so lucky, I have zero tolerance for that s***, I'd buy a new whatever it is unless it was unobtanium , then I'd hire someone like you to solve my problem, I'm on the hunt for a 43 if you know of any.

Recall that I used fj40 sides that don’t have the holes for the latches, so Cut a slot in the bottom, and slid the 3/16 steel with the tapped holes in the sides.

962BD981-CC12-4232-9F29-D92662AED96F.jpeg

3BF04A7C-C616-4515-BC03-3B3A976BEC2D.jpeg

Trying to get all the metal work done, so slowly working through each panel

The roof needs the front lip that seals with the windshield installed, so got it straightened, repaired the rust spots, primed the back except around the weld spots and got it ready to weld in. Have to pull my welder in the wood shop... will have my fire estinguisher handy.

F0DDEA0D-76D4-4D07-AD3C-E62A15474F03.jpeg

On the windshield one of the hood hold down points was half gone, so made a new one out of stainless. I will need to add a bunch of retained nuts if I recall for all the latches to the roof as well.

C1306CA3-DDEE-4FFD-9159-063E9D390617.jpeg

welded the ashtray shut, will have to figure out what all these holes are for to figure out what to fill and what to keep.

66FA0248-C187-4109-8C24-9DB0AEF87F15.jpeg

Finally got to work on figuring out where the batteries going to fit under the hood… I am listed my college student engineering son (on his 21st birthday ) to help and the best place we could find required taking a chop out of the upper inner section of the passenger fender.

IMG_9605.jpeg

IMG_9604.jpeg

IMG_9613.jpeg

IMG_9614.jpeg

IMG_9616.jpeg

Bump, random check in to see how your doing?

Bump, random check in to see how your doing?

Been a busy year, so not much done on it past getting the roof and metalwork done.

Since April, 2023 has been...
1. Addition to my garage -- 16 x 40, so two car deep. Creating a space to be able to paint parts / car.
2. Got the 73 series ready for Solid axle summit, and it did amazing. Doing small fixes to it now.
3. Bunch of remodeling work at my office.

IMG_1026.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

The 73 looks great, and so does the new space!

The 73 looks great, and so does the new space!
..... you should hear it..... I am a Toyota guy, but the LS sounds amaze-ballz.

Just realized I bought this from you 5 years ago this week.... man, time flies!

Time to get this moving again!!

Last edited:
Well, my goal was to start working on Vera before the year ended…. It was good motivation to get a lot of other things off the to do list…. And I was able to roll Vera into the shop on Dec 30th…. First up was to remove the engine mounts I made from bushings and swap to oem toyota. Also needed to fit Doug Thorley headers. I had a set of mounts from either a 4runner or Sequoia that did not fit well, so reached out to @cjmoon and @tornadoalleycruiser and they set me up!!! New Year’s Day was fun fabbing up the mounts.

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

IMG_2132.jpeg

IMG_2131.jpeg

IMG_2130.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, my goal was to start working on Vera before the year ended…. It was good motivation to get a lot of other things off the to do list…. And I was able to roll Vera into the shop on Dec 30th…. First up was to remove the engine mounts I made from bushings and swap to oem toyota. Also needed to fit Doug Thorley headers. I had a set of mounts from either a 4runner or Sequoia that did not fit well, so reached out to @cjmoon and @tornadoalleycruiser and they set me up!!! New Year’s Day was fun fabbing up the mounts.

View attachment 3522797

View attachment 3522798

View attachment 3522799

View attachment 3522800

View attachment 3522801

View attachment 3522802
I wish someone made a good 2uz engine mount kit for 40s and 80s. I need to redo mine at some point in the next year

Engine will only turn 180 degrees with hard stop both directions, so had to pull motor out…. Plan is to pull valve covers and see if it is stuck valve.

While it is out, will burn in the motor mounts….

IMG_2151.jpeg

Dang, what a bummer. While I've never heard of a UZ dropping a valve, I don't really know what else it could be.

Yeah, this has everyone I know confused. Engine turns 180 degrees to hard stop.

Drained the oil and did not find a bunch of water, so that is good news. There was some lumpy oil, kind of congealed, so there is some water in there somewhere...

Realized that there is no way to get to the bolts on the torque converter, so can't put it on an engine stand. I was hoping to turn it upside down and see if something comes out of the timing area...

For now, will make some stands out of the old motor mounts and pull the valve covers and put a scope down the spark plug holes again to see if anything can be seen. Was planning on doing a timing belt on this, so can do that as well.... and see if there is a "10mm socket" in there messing up the works.

Worst case, I can pull the heads and see what is going on.

Bummer, I hope you find it is something simple.

Take pan off, I realize you explained no stand so may have to wait but I would look in there and inspect the front drive/timing assembly. PITA to open all that up but worth it. See if a valve dropped into cyl.

Take pan off, I realize you explained no stand so may have to wait but I would look in there and inspect the front drive/timing assembly. PITA to open all that up but worth it. See if a valve dropped into cyl.

interesting.

Good news is that it ran about two years ago, and has been sitting ever since. My point is that it is know to run and sound good, so not a junkyard surprise engine. It was outside for a year, but it was tarped really good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom