Events/Trails DIY Turbo V1.0, Boosted 80 = Happiness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to be selling the fully built SC 80 soon. Can't keep everything I come across. :frown:

Well, since this thread had already been bumped from the dead for no apparent reason, I'll go ahead and ask it...

Any updates?

First time seeing this thread, good stuff! I was completely ignorant of rear-mount turbos until I bought my first 3rd Gen 4runner a few years ago and saw how easy it is in that vehicle.

After reading through the thread, just a couple questions, John. And my apologies if you already answered and I just didn't pick up on it.

1) Plumbing: So you run the stock manifolds, y-pipe (with 1st cat), (second cat?) and muffler all before the turbo, correct? Nothing exhaust-wise after the turbo but a dump pipe? Any better photos of the charge pipe routing?

2) If I were to build something similar to this or buy your kit, what is the smaller turbo you used (size, trim, a/r)? About when did it spool up and when did it run out of steam? Ideally, my setup would be mostly spooled by 1500 (or even lower would be great) and I would not care if it was just blowing hot air above 4000. I very rarely rev past 3700.

Thanks for documenting all of this!

Still using as a kid hauler. Got honked down the other day with a guy in a beemer asking what the hell that noise was coming from the truck. He was all like "is that some kind of Turbo?" Was laughing the way he said it. So far working as it should. Getting around 11mpg around town.

To answer your questions Heckraiser, I removed both cats and installed a high flow Random Tech cat, then routed to a high flow OBX muffler. It dumps after the turbo. As far as a small turbo size, I would recommend a T4 size, 57 or 60 trim. Would start spooling under 2000rpms and get really moving at around 3500.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nope. So busy at work & life after work. Have not even been tinkering with anything until life slows down a bit.

Just to be clear, since I'm new here and haven't read all the way thru this thread you have kits available? How many others are running this and what are your opinions? Sounds like a fun upgrade.

Turbo is after the cat and muffler, all sensors in place, will pass smog on paper without a doubt. Only issue may be not having an airbox for viual inspection depending on the technician. However if I wanted to go back to stock wont take long at all to do.

Yea, I read through the whole thread and I know that a retired smog technician said it should even pass a visual. Though I can't remember if you ran the air intake to the factory airbox or not.
I was just wondering I you had actually gone and had it tested yet.
Being able to un-turbo it in such a short of time is very neat.

Amazing job:clap:

I'm sorry to say that it will not pass the Visual unless the Smog Tech looks the other way. In Ca. it would need to have a C.A.R.B. E.O. (Exemption Order) number. Mine was Very clean on the Smog Machine. I had a Bullet Style Catalyst with a Metal Core. Congrats on all your work 2K Cruiser!!! It's so much better boosted :steer:

I suspect this wouldn't fare as well on a 3fe due to the AFM, correct?

Thanks, I am actually do for smog I believe on my next Reg. which is soon. Keep you posted on how it does.

We don't have smog testing in Iowa if you want to send one out here to be tested on a 3FE... ;)

I Passed!!! with flying colors I might add. Smog Tech said it actually put down some ridiculously clean numbers.
And it was a STAR smog that was required.

20150206_073511.jpg

Pic from last weekend in Big Bear. Took only about an hour and a half to collect on there.

20150131_095530.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom