Dissent offroad modular rear bumper. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ben,

i'd like to be on your list, for the rear bumper and the hitch (no swing outs, I plan to keep the spare either where it is or on the roof).

My front bumper has been awesome...

917340-ac795b71ad227152a9015d891ca2dea2.jpg

- Neville

no swing outs, I plan to keep the spare either where it is or on the roof).

This brings up a good point- will the spare fit in the stock location?

Ben,

i'd like to be on your list, for the rear bumper and the hitch (no swing outs, I plan to keep the spare either where it is or on the roof).

My front bumper has been awesome...

917340-ac795b71ad227152a9015d891ca2dea2.jpg

- Neville
Thanks Neville!
I'll add you to the list.

Sent from my iPhone

This brings up a good point- will the spare fit in the stock location?
That's the plan, not 100% sure if it will work or how it will look but will do my best.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Ben, please add me to the list too for the rear bumper. - Gary

Got a few of the center pieces today, I'm really liking the recessed receiver! This style will give easy access to the pin and a good spot to mount the plugs and safety chains.
Also add a little more shape to the bumper.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453265329.546544.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453265368.546496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Looking good Ben! Don't forget to leave room for a hitch lock on the retaining pin, hard to tell dimensions from a pic.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the spare tire will fit underneath, the factory rear crossmember is curved to fit the spare, if I were to build the bumper to fit this it will stick out way to far IMHO. I may try and put my tire up there and see if it fits but it's not looking like it will.
One thing i have decided to do is make the spare tire swingouts completely adjustable, I think the biggest issue with having the tire on the back for dd duty is vision, so the tire will be able to be mounted high for clearance Or low for visibility. I will also have the angle of the spare adjustable, this way it could be run vertically or at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone

also keep in mind if you bring a trailer too close to the truck , you will not be able to open the back hatch as most trailers have a crank down leg or wheel that sticks up. Of course there is always a hitch extender but ** Using a hitch extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50 percent. **

Looking forward to seeing your build fantastic work !

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the spare tire will fit underneath, the factory rear crossmember is curved to fit the spare, if I were to build the bumper to fit this it will stick out way to far IMHO. I may try and put my tire up there and see if it fits but it's not looking like it will.
One thing i have decided to do is make the spare tire swingouts completely adjustable, I think the biggest issue with having the tire on the back for dd duty is vision, so the tire will be able to be mounted high for clearance Or low for visibility. I will also have the angle of the spare adjustable, this way it could be run vertically or at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone

Bummer. The issue with swingouts is that you have to open them every time you need to open the tailgate/hatch. On a trip, it's not a big deal, but I have no desire to do this on a daily basis. Been there done that. I am constantly using hatch.

Bummer. The issue with swingouts is that you have to open them every time you need to open the tailgate/hatch. On a trip, it's not a big deal, but I have no desire to do this on a daily basis. Been there done that. I am constantly using hatch.
The problem is most have been there done that with swingouts that you almost need instructions on how to open them! This swingout will literally take 2 seconds to open and close.
There will be no pop pins, it will have an oem style latch with a gas strut to assist and hold it open. They will be 3/4 length arms so they will only be about 24" long, the latch is a slam style latch so there will be no need to work a latch when closing.

Sent from my iPhone

My intent is to only have a swing out on during trips to carry my spare. I have roadside as part of my auto insurance and see no need to carry the spare everywhere I go around town.

One thing to consider for all you guys who think you're going to be taking your swingarms on and off on a semi regular basis is that you have to plan around not having any wiring run on them.

I thought I was going to do the same until I realized that my passenger-side swingarm had wiring for the license plate bulb, CB antenna, auxiliary back up lights and back up camera. The driver side has no wiring and that does come off for pseudo-daily driving duties.

Any more pics? I mentioned I was about to start building my own and have been researching the parts. I'm here wondering if you have picked yours already!

I know about the slam shut latch already and I'll be honest, don't have much confidence in them for that kind of job! A spare is a heavy beast and when mounted back there there's no room for any rattle whatsoever! I am certain you know that too and understand this is prototype phase. I love amazon but a lot of their stuff is junk! Not sure their parts have a place in your build!
Have you decided on the spindle?
Are the wings gonna be welded to main bumper as one piece or bolted to it like the front?

One thing to consider for all you guys who think you're going to be taking your swingarms on and off on a semi regular basis is that you have to plan around not having any wiring run on them.

I thought I was going to do the same until I realized that my passenger-side swingarm had wiring for the license plate bulb, CB antenna, auxiliary back up lights and back up camera. The driver side has no wiring and that does come off for pseudo-daily driving duties.
You could have 2 connectors for what you say you have. One for everything except the CB and then one CB connector. That wouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom