Dissent offroad modular rear bumper. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess this before roof rack?
Yes, sorry.
I have had so many guys asking me when I'm going to get the rear done so I decided to do that first. The rack shouldn't be to far behind if work continues to slow down. I had all intention to have the rack done before HIH last year but I ended up with way more front bumper orders than expected.

Sent from my iPhone

Ben, will you have a diy kit on this rear bumper too? Will it be modular like your front, perhaps with different side "wing" options....full body line sides, minimalistic tube sides, etc?

As you can tell from my front bumper, I put a lot of time into producing a product that's different from anything els on the market.
The rear will be no different, I plan on having some features and options not currently offered anywhere els. It will take time and I'm not going to start production until I'm happy with the results. (Hopefully a month or two)
I will also be focusing on convenience of the swing out, I realize for most these vehicles are driven daily, by you, your spouse and even some of your kids. I think so many are turned off by the difficulty to open most that are currently on the market, I plan to have mine a easy 1 hand operation that the whole family can operate. Though it will have the option to be removed when not in use I think most will leave it on most of the time.
I do really appreciate all your feedback and do believe this is why the front bumper has been so successful. I will take all your feedback and try to put it into a bumper that will fit each need to the best of my ability.
Another focus of mine is the modular aspect, I want and need this bumper to be an easy one man job to install. Most of you know I'm a one man show and get a lot of customers wanting me to install, I would not be able to do this myself front or rear if they were not modular, the modular design on the rear will give some side to side adjustability as well to give you a nice tight custom look. You will notice that most lack adjustability so you will se very large gaps to compensate for variances from vehicle to vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone

Ben, will you have a diy kit on this rear bumper too? Will it be modular like your front, perhaps with different side "wing" options....full body line sides, minimalistic tube sides, etc?
I most likely will have a DIY kit available and do plan to eventually have tube wings front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone

Tax returns are complete. When you complete the rear with a hitch I will want to come get a front and rear set up. Awesome work.

Sent from my iPhone

@benc can't wait to see this. Your front bumper has set the precedent that this will be a great product. Can't wait to see in person at HIH, this summer.

Sent from my iPhone

Tax returns are complete. When you complete the rear with a hitch I will want to come get a front and rear set up. Awesome work.

Sent from my iPhone
Sounds great! I guess it a good time to get it in production, I forgot it is tax return season[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone

@benc can't wait to see this. Your front bumper has set the precedent that this will be a great product. Can't wait to see in person at HIH, this summer.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks Chris!
I can't wait for the next HIH!
Hopefully this year I will be able to give the raffle winner the choice between front bumper, rear bumper or roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone

This bumper will require the x member to be removed. I can not get the look or clearance I want with it in place.

The oem hitch would still be usable but would hang lower than the bumper.
I will have a integrated tow hitch that will be stronger than the factory hitch but it will not be rated. This would take way to much time and money! I have no doubt it will tow 6500 lbs but it will not be rated. And for legality reasons it will be sold as offroad only as is done with most aftermarket bumpers.

One of my main goals is to have a bumper that can be run with or without the swing outs and look good either way.
The plan as of now is to have a dual shear hinge that bolts on to the wings where they rap around the back. I will also likely have some kind of cover plate that bolts on when there are no swing out. I will also be looking into heavy duty slam style latches, similar to the tailgate latches but bigger. I'm not sure if I will be able to make them work but I'm going to try.
Thanks for the fead back!

Sent from my iPhone

I understand about the legality perspective, only the largest companies like ARB can afford to rate them. If you can keep the OEM hitch in place, that would be perfect. Then the owner can decided to install/uninstall the hitch. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Look forward to what you come up with. Not much to add besides what's already stated other than camera help. If you need a rig to have for a bit, I'd be willing to ship mine up and leave it with you for a while. Mine is not my daily driver and I can live without it for a few weeks.

Really looking forward to what you come up with. it was great chatting with you!

Yap, removable swing outs! My is a DD and don't want the excess weight or wife complaining about its operation when not outting.

Thanks guys! Got some drawings to the laser cutter yesterday, I told them I needed parts by the end of the week so we will see what happens. I'm waiting to get the center section first and then I will be able to design and mock up the wings. I also have ordered some different latch setups to try out, I'll keep you guys posted as progress continues. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

I have not read all of the "wants" on here, so if I am repetitive, please forgive me. Here are a few things that I have for wants:

Free shipping in the Continental US. (OK, just kidding.)
Modularity to allow a simple bumper to be installed, but then swing outs added later.
Dedicated mount for license plate, with light. (I have the Garmin GPS with camera, which mounts on the license screw, so room for that little bugger. See this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/rv/rv-760lmt-with-wireless-backup-camera/prod154163.html
Highlift Jack Mount
Step to allow standing on bumper, even with swing outs installed.
Integrated brake and rear lights. (I followed an ARB with them and they were nice during our outing.)
Serviceable spindles for swing outs, with blank covers for when swing outs are not in place.
Integrated space for license plate, with light.
Integrated recovery points.

Integrated LED brake / rear lights. (I followed a 100 series with an ARB rear and those little lights were nice. I am thinking that you could do a more rectangular short profile light and it be a very nice addition.)
Serviceable spindles for swing outs. Blank covers for when the swing outs are not in place.
Integrated LED brake / rear lights. (I followed a 100 series with an ARB rear and those little lights were nice. I am thinking that you could do a more rectangular short profile light and it be a very nice addition.)
Serviceable spindles for swing outs. Blank covers for when the swing outs are not in place.
I second (3rs, 4th, etc.):
The integrated hitch capable of max vehicle towing.
Tight tire holder swing out.
Rear facing LED light / spot / reverse.

I will probable think of more later, but hopefully this is helpful.

Thanks much!
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom