disc brakes for '72 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate to say this, but it really does depend on a lot of stuff. Minitruck or FJ60 parts are widely available. Chances are there is someone here on mud who is selling the parts or you could just post up a wanted ad. I bought my parts from a mud member for 225 but I had to buy rotors and calipers separately. So, mines getting to be pretty expensive.

I bought my parts from a mud member for 225 but I had to buy rotors and calipers separately. So, mines getting to be pretty expensive.

I paid $200 for mini-truck knuckles and inner axles at the u-pull recently. V6 calipers were another $20. V6 master cylinder was $15. Then you will need rotors. It does add up.

I seem to recall the rear was much cheaper when I did my FJ40.

I paid a hundred bux for a complete axle and bought the rotors and calipers from Napa. All totalled I think it was right at 300 bux because I bought the knuckle rebuild kit with all the bearings from Kurt at cruiseroutfitters. not bad for the huge improvement... One tip, buy lots of rags and have plenty of garbage bags handy. It's a pretty messy job but not all that difficult...

I also have a 72 FJ40 and was going to buy a conversion kit from JT Outfitters. I know there are cheaper ways if you gather the parts but this looks like an easy way to go for a rookie backyard mechanic. Has anyone else used these kits?

Front Disc Brake Kit Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 - JT Outfitters

Even a rookie backyard mechanic can do a disk brake swap without too much drama. It isn't all that tough. IMO, going the "kit" route is a waste of money. Not to mention, you still have your course spline birfs. Buying mini truck, fj60 or even newer disk brake stuff off an fj40 is much more cost effective AND you have higher quality components.

Good luck! :cheers:

I would do a search on this forum for JT Outfitters before buying........

just sayin'

I have had excellent experience with the conversion kits from Man-a-Fre, but they are spendy $$$

I also have a 72 FJ40 and was going to buy a conversion kit from JT Outfitters. Has anyone else used these kits?

I bought my rear disks from JTO. They didn't fit and I had to have them machined locally.

I have a buddy who knows how much to the penny and where to get all the parts to convert to disc brakes. I'll make sure he gets in touch. I'll make sure he gets in touch before the game tomorrow.

check out the FAQ for a parts list. I would snag a front end from a boneyard- or PM VTcruiser60, he is parting a few fj60 disk front ends.

Think before you buy- I used disk knuckles from a FJ55 last year, only to change them out this year for the stronger and more common fj60 stuff. I would have been better off doing it right the first time. I changed them for an upcoming SOA, the high steer stuff is much more common for the later stuff.

You should put in a knuckle kit while you are there, so add $100 to the cost. And you might want to do your rod ends if you have not, as they will be off...and maybe you should...you get the idea.

Also, your drum wheels may or may not fit, depending on what you are running.

There is a 72 parts truck on ebay that has a upgraded front end with disks for 250 in ohio.

Thanks for the warning's on JT Outfitters. I picked up a complete 82 4WD Toyota Pickup yesterday for free for hauling it away and am going to try to use the parts off it.

Do or do not ... there is no try. Piece of cake.

FJ40 Front brake conversion

First thanks to all that replied to my last thread. I have a 1972 FJ40 and want to convert to disc brakes. I recently purchased a 1985 FJ60 front axle. Will this work and how do I go about it? I received plenty of info on mini truck conversion but like i said I have this FJ60 axle. I would like to start asap because I have some time off work right now. I look forward to your help, thank you.

The axle is wider so it requires some modification to align to the springs to use that axle, however you can pull all the parts from the knuckle out and use them in the same process as the mini truck, except you get vented rotors and a larger wheel cylinder. Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom