Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins Common Rail + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I will go your route since it is proven. I think I read your post on using the nv3500 slave vs the nv4500 (volume ?). I will try to source an 80 clutch pedal /bucket.
Yes, the NV3500 slave is a better match with the 80 series master than the larger diameter bore NV4500 slave. The NV4500 slave translates into less clutch throw and not enough to fully disengage trans from engine. The NV3500 slave solves that issue.

I am going to load up a bunch of pictures from last week on SWAdventure19 in Southern UT. The trip was amazing and the company was great! I won't be providing locations other than 'Southern UT' to help protect the secrecy of these magical locations. If you recognize any of these locations, please dont publicly name them.

Mudders that attended this year were all rolling in 80's
@AutoCraft Aus
@sleeoffroad
@Box Rocket
@mryanangel
@dockbox
@BerettaMato

20190430_090015.jpg
20190430_181911.jpg
20190429_205715.jpg
20190430_104316.jpg
20190429_192954.jpg

20190429_113210.jpg
20190429_113306.jpg
20190429_094035.jpg
20190429_094116.jpg

Having a nurse in the group was very beneficial when one of us tore open their hand on a ratchet strap...7 stitches during lunch and then back on the trail.
20190429_133024.jpg

Last one = ouch..... 7 times LOL. Need to work out a way to get some anesthetic into the first aid kit for next time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny story, my first aid kit from the Cruise Moab event by @Outer Limit Supply I bought home to Aus, and customs removed all the drugs out of it and left the packets. doh!

Last one = ouch..... 7 times LOL. Need to work out a way to get some anesthetic into the first aid kit for next time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny story, my first aid kit from the Cruise Moab event by @Outer Limit Supply I bought home to Aus, and customs removed all the drugs out of it and left the packets. doh!

View attachment 1981077
Thats nuts... whatever happened to personal medications being allowed.

Mryanangel, I am trying to figure out which clutch master I need for my cummins/nv4500. I bought an nv3500 slave. When I look for 80 clutch master cylinders all I see says for vacuum assist clutches. Can you tell me which one you used (aisin number)? I'm wondering if a 60 series or HZJ master will be ok. Maybe I'm over thinking. Thanks Fred

Mryanangel, I am trying to figure out which clutch master I need for my cummins/nv4500. I bought an nv3500 slave. When I look for 80 clutch master cylinders all I see says for vacuum assist clutches. Can you tell me which one you used (aisin number)? I'm wondering if a 60 series or HZJ master will be ok. Maybe I'm over thinking. Thanks Fred
Left hand drive 80 series clutch master cylinder. I doubt you are going to find that in the US. I had them sent over from Japan. I don't recall part numbers, but any of our parts guru's (@Beno) will be able to acquire the parts for you as long as they are still available.

Ok. Thank you. I will see what I can find. I have seen listings for 80 cylinder masters but they all say "with vacuum booster assist" and I'm pretty sure that's not what I want. Fred

Nope...those are brake master cylinders.

You need a clutch master for a LHD 80 series...those never ever came on any US spec 80 seriers (all us spec 80's were automatics) so you aren't going to find one looking in mud listings.

You need to buy new from overseas. Hit up @Beno to get you sorted, he has forgoten more part numbers that most of us will ever know.

Beno is out of the biz but I just checked and Partsouq has them in stock.
I've been under a rock with this move apparently.

Awesome thread! I’m hitting the watch button.
There are going to be some serious updates to this thread this spring/summer after I get done with my LX turbo build.

Almost seems a disservices to you, reading all 45 pages of your excellent documentation on the build without leaving a comment. I appreciate your thoroughness, and attention to detail. My dad had a 12 valve swapped into a 1993 Suburban when I was in high school, and ever since then, I have been intrigued with the idea of a Cummins in a (fill in the blank). Reading your build thread has encouraged me in the possibility of doing it in my LX. And it will be a go-to for info if I take the plunge, you did such a great job.

for info if I take the p
Thank you...sometimes these threads are like a public journal where you are just talking to yourself. I am glad you got something out of the build and documentation.

I am actually about to get pretty busy on this build once again, including a full motor teardown and rebuild...few more power goodies will be added and will be going a different direction with the body/buildout of the cruiser.

Big day today! Cummins build 2.0 has begun.

I have been waiting all summer for the weather to get out of the 100’s so this job wouldn’t be a miserable affair. Forecast for today was a high of 85...perfect.

@bryson came over at 11am to start turning some wrench with me. Goal was to get as far as possible today, we ended up getting more done than I thought we would.

Pulled the front bumper, winch, lights, grill, core support, condenser, radiator, intercooler and lower valance.

Got and the plumbing and electrical disconnected, shifters removed, driveshafts off, hood off, 2 crossmembers pulled, motor mounts out of the way and slid the big donk, trans and xfer case out of the engine bay as one unit.

We separated the trans from the engine and got the motor mounted onto my purpose built engine stand ready for surgery.

We then cleaned up all the tools and figured well it’s still daylight, so also pulled the rear Slee bumper off. She is almost ready for the next phase of build 2.0.

It is soo much nicer working on cruisers with a friend than by yourself, it’s fun, keeps the motivation going, and you make so much more progress in a short period of time. Thanks again for spending the day getting greasy @bryson!

5F594F5D-F547-4035-BBFF-43F81FFDB170.jpeg
78FCB0B9-5687-4752-AF9E-2B4318C3B1FB.jpeg
9CCD5F4D-8C4A-4A27-B615-1FA9CE26A924.jpeg
B0253688-41DC-491B-BFDC-32EEC74BC9F8.jpeg
EA8C84EA-149F-40EC-93D5-B1981501B003.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom