Differential Support (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone replaced either differential support? Does it help driving quality or handling? By bushings are cracking and if I put a wrench to move them there is a ton of play. Thoughts? I'm also chasing a steering clunk and this is the last thing I can possibly think of.

IMG_3581.jpg

I replaced the control arm bushing with this. Mine was shot so I figured I might as well do it while I had the front diff out. I can't attest to if it helped get rid of any clunks because I did a ton of other work all at the same time. The mechanic that pressed the bushing in for me did say that they were a pain and it takes about 8000lbs of force to break the old bushing free.

With the brake on and shifting to R, the front of the diff housing (right below the steering rack) goes down and pinion end of the diff housing goes up. If you shift to D at this time the front diff housing goes in the other direction hitting the cross member making that annoying bang.

I added some extra washers (front old shock's top mounts) and it sort of mitigated the bang, but I think the play at the ring gear and pinion are still making the noise.

If you plan to replace those two bushings, you might well replace the bushing inside the 41181.

Bit of a success but still got that "bang" sound to some extent. I think it is from the pinion play.
I use the following trick:
When I reverse, I shift the lever to N before car comes to a complete stop: and then stop the truck. Next shift to D and no sound at all.

Bit of a success but still got that "bang" sound to some extent. I think it is from the pinion play.
I use the following trick:
When I reverse, I shift the lever to N before car comes to a complete stop: and then stop the truck. Next shift to D and no sound at all.
Which pinion play? The rack or what? My steering rack is brand new

The ring gear and the pinion inside the diff. I have aftermarket CV axles, everything else are OEM. I also installed OEM flanges at the wheel hub that mounts to the CV axle

Has anyone replaced either differential support? Does it help driving quality or handling? By bushings are cracking and if I put a wrench to move them there is a ton of play. Thoughts? I'm also chasing a steering clunk and this is the last thing I can possibly think of.

View attachment 1454406

Yes 3-years ago this summer. And in addition to the two supports you have circled in red I also had to replace the diff cover bushing (due to the idiot who I paid to originally set up the 4.88 install ... I had finally had the luxury of removing the diff and taking it to a competent mechanic for redo so it was a bit of "while I'm in there") as they were all in the same degree of being worn. Not fun. Not cheap.

Yes 3-years ago this summer. And in addition to the two supports you have circled in red I also had to replace the diff cover bushing (due to the idiot who I paid to originally set up the 4.88 install ... I had finally had the luxury of removing the diff and taking it to a competent mechanic for redo so it was a bit of "while I'm in there") as they were all in the same degree of being worn. Not fun. Not cheap.
Did your ride quality improve at all?

^ ride quality was unaffected. However the knocking noise was eliminated.

Has anyone seen a failure of the diff support? I know we are built differently, but I was still curious if this was a possibility for us.

What is acceptable cracking & movement of bushing (supports, stopper & mounts). Sure, swap out if a clunk is present from metal on metal movement. But some movement is as designed and needed, but when is movement excessive and time to swap out for new.

Support has some minor splits/cracks in rubber not bad at all for 11 yrs & /200K, but how much longer will they last?
023.JPG

022.JPG

This looks acceptable and no there is no clunk:

046.JPG

What is acceptable cracking & movement of bushing (supports, stopper & mounts). Sure, swap out if a clunk is present from metal on metal movement. But some movement is as designed and needed, but when is movement excessive and time to swap out for new.

Support has some minor splits/cracks in rubber not bad at all for 11 yrs & /200K, but how much longer will they last?
View attachment 1496438

View attachment 1496439
This looks acceptable and no there is no clunk:

View attachment 1496430

With all three of the supports, it's honestly a matter of how much you care if they bother you or not. My tube support was completely separated but it wasn't hurting anything and my diff cover one was cracked and moving like yours. None of em move now but I also don't have clunks anymore. Doesn't hurt anything leaving them alone though

I did the diff cover bushing and driver side arm bushing. Both were completely hammered and moving like crazy. Both were an absolute nightmare to take out. I had to take the rear arm to a local machine shop to get it removed.

Made a massive difference on the clunks though. No diff movement up front now.

With all three of the supports, it's honestly a matter of how much you care if they bother you or not. My tube support was completely separated but it wasn't hurting anything and my diff cover one was cracked and moving like yours. None of em move now but I also don't have clunks anymore. Doesn't hurt anything leaving them alone though

I did the diff cover bushing and driver side arm bushing. Both were completely hammered and moving like crazy. Both were an absolute nightmare to take out. I had to take the rear arm to a local machine shop to get it removed.

Made a massive difference on the clunks though. No diff movement up front now.
Are you both saying you don't see any movement in support bushing or mounting bushing now that you've replaced.

I've not actually ever seen new or replacement. But all I've inspected have about the same movement as shown in my video of front cover mount. I could post one of support (DS) also which show movement too.

Any chance you guys could post up some videos?

I did a picture write up of taking the diff bushing out in a different thread
Link please!

Paul- your bushings look pretty good.

Are you both saying you don't see any movement in support bushing or mounting bushing now that you've replaced.

I've not actually ever seen new or replacement. But all I've inspected have about the same movement as shown in my video of front cover mount. I could post one of support (DS) also which show movement too.

Any chance you guys could post up some videos?

Link please!
Front diff bushing replacement?

Paul- your bushings look pretty good.
I say they're normal and will last for years. But I'm really interest to see what differences @Rolocado & @Captramrod01 new bushing made and if both factory rubber or poly.

I did see @Rolocado video of before and after. Would have like to see those with brake on shifting from D To R to show more force on system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom