Diet Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How hard is it to work on the brakes? I've never replaced brakes on a car or truck before. Do you think it's possible for a newbie to do it? I would probably download and follow the repair manual pdfs. Is it worth it to get all the equipment I would need to be able to start working on my GX at home?

Tough question, for me they are some of the easiest brakes I've ever worked on. You need a 17mm, 21mm and 10mm socket. A breaker bar and a ratchet. Plus a jack and jack stand. Only you can decide if its worth it. If you are financially well off I would say just let someone else deal with it. Its worth it to me because I've been doing my own vehicles for more than 10 years and I like them to be well maintained.

The bolt holes getting cleaned up with the m10 x 1.25 tap ......View attachment 1493293
test fitting, everything lines up great ....View attachment 1493294
the final result after painting and torqueing everything down ....View attachment 1493295 On my last trip out we had two 120's in the group with mild lifts and stock rear bumpers. I was rather impressed by how much damage they avoided just by dragging there hitches on departure rather than the rear bumper. Hopefully this will do the same as well as give us the option if I decide to build a trailer.

Nice.

Love the DIY approach too! Did the same (DIY from scrap
emoji_u1f44d.png
) creating a white rim road hitch riser for bike rack with anchor point straight out.

emoji_u1f914.png
aren't there a couple more holes that go straight in? I thought those pintels' had the bolt holes you made and 2-4 that go straight in, then you have a place for a gusset adding moar strength.

just thinking, cuz I thought about maybe making a similar receiver ;)
emoji_u1f60e.png

270795d1359230820-lexus-6500lbs-tow-hitch-is-here-but-sewell-pintle-hitch.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see another Kansas GX build! I've seen a silver one in my area a few times decked out but around here they are very few and far between. Here is my build so far.

lexus9.jpg

The Toyota oil filter is great and around $5 at my local Toyota Dealership.

high capacity? holds 1/2 qt, the little ones spec'd at parts stores hole half that. Mine from lex dealer was the high capacity...
toyota 90915-yzzd3
(NAPA Gold 1516 is a high capacity filter. (Wix 51516 & Napa 1516 Oil Filter).

<beta here What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? >

They also require a half qt to fill them up after they drain back from sitting. Even though they supposedly have an anti-drain back valve. Lots of debate back in forth on this as to what benefit you're getting by adding a little bit extra oil vs having oil pressure faster. Pressure's not even a good word for it, perhaps having oil flow faster would be a better way of describing it. In either case it will filter for 15k miles no problem.

They also require a half qt to fill them up after they drain back from sitting. Even though they supposedly have an anti-drain back valve. Lots of debate back in forth on this as to what benefit you're getting by adding a little bit extra oil vs having oil pressure faster. Pressure's not even a good word for it, perhaps having oil flow faster would be a better way of describing it. In either case it will filter for 15k miles no problem.

Good points.
It also makes the capacity at oil change an even 7 qt, so there's a minor convenience factor too.

Decided to jump on one of the TRD kits that went on clearance. It arrived today and everything looks good. View attachment 1658166
Sweet!!
I'll live vicariously through you. I'm looking forward to your report! It seemed like the perfect intro lift for the GX on rear airbags still (EDIT based on reply @half k cruiser below... swapping for coils, but yes having an airbag feature too is great, esp for trailer or just loads)... Esp for the price!!!

I'm glad someone got on that sale.

Last edited:
Sweet!!
I'll live vicariously through you. I'm looking forward to your report! It seemed like the perfect intro lift for the GX on rear airbags still... Esp for the price!!!

I'm glad someone got on that sale.

Going to ditch the factory bags and swap to a set of 4runner coils and we will see how this looks front to rear. I am considering putting air bags in to assist when pulling the trailer. I need to read up and see if that means removing the top coil isolator/bump stop thing, or what I need to do.

I pulled the factory running boards yesterday and installed White Knuckle sliders with full top plates. I did not realize that they came with a slight angle on them. So the running board isn't exactly flat for my wife and kids to step on. So i'm not super thrilled about that. Otherwise they are a well built slider and the install isn't bad. Everything u-bolts into place, no need to drill, tap, or rivnut anything.
IMG_4722.JPG
IMG_4726.JPG
IMG_4727.JPG
IMG_4737.JPG

Looks good. So they angle up a little? I like this concept for rocker pro, but given the GX door panels and smaller rocker oanel vs 4r's lack of door cladding and a larger rocker pannel, it seemsime the GXbskider options are more flat, less up-angled. But sounds like the WN have a little slope, which I think is great for a slider but as you say, kind if overrides the step function a little. Can you get a couple more pix, maybe a good night down the length of slider showing it's configuration and maybe the supports?

And yes, airbags in the runner coils (esp given your lift coming in) sounds perfect. Any indication when the stars will allign for the lift install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom