Diesel Crate Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it makes 270hp and 421ft/lbs of torque, revs to 4800rpms and weighs 535lbs it would seem to be a very good match for repowering an 80 series. But the fact that it is $29,000 dollars, makes me think this is a much better option.....

LSA Crate Engine - Race Engine | Chevrolet

LSA E-Rod engine, 556hp, 550ft/lbs, 50 state compliant and $16k.

i think the new Lt-1 crate has the best hp/tq curve making 200/400 at 2600rpms at only $11k for the erod-plugn play version. (that is if you can live with 430hp) :)

LT1 Crate Engine: 6.2L Small Block Engine | Chevrolet

i wish they would make an LS crate with a much more low rpm cam/ with torque/hp lower in the rpms ---would be alot easier offroad vs having to rev. to 3000+ rpms to get full torque.

Last edited:
50 more hp for $7k more is not really needed unless you are drag racing after the Rubicon (which i know u like to do) :)

My preference is 1uz or 2uz vs the hit or miss piston-cavitating LS's.

Last edited:
I'm budgeting about 10k for a toy diesel from australia at some point. Anything better? I'm pretty familiar with yanmar but I don't think marine engines are a drop in.

Anyone complaining about the reliability of a LS has impressive expectations.

Won't hear me arguing, I would look at a 1UZ bored out to 4.3L like the 3UZ, but much cheaper. None of the UZ engines will make torque as low as the LS engines but that is what gearing is for. A 1UZ can be had for $600-800, new forged rods and pistons $1200-2K, machine work $700, and a stand alone ECU $2500, and you would have a super solid motor that would make 300hp and could take a little nitrous.... lol

50 more hp for $7k more is not really needed unless you are drag racing after the Rubicon (which i know u like to do) :)

My preference is 1uz or 2uz vs the hit or miss piston-cavitating LS's.

The stock ecodiesel gets close to 30 mpg highway in a full size pickup. Getting 30mpg in an 80 would save around $10k every 100,000mi, but $30k for an engine is just ridiculous, especially compared to the LS engines. Maybe it'll go on sale one day.

What are guys getting with the Toyota diesel options from Japan? Out of curiosity..

I insist .. if you do a toyota Diesel in a 80 .. = 1HD-T ( family ) it's coz you like this way .. purist Toyota or whatever ,.. not coz it's power or economy ..

I'm waiting for Chevy to start selling their 2.8 Duramax diesel in a crate engine. Little less HP than a 1FZ, a lot more torque, and killer gas mileage. If it's in the price range of their other offerings, it may be tempting.

Won't hear me arguing, I would look at a 1UZ bored out to 4.3L like the 3UZ, but much cheaper. None of the UZ engines will make torque as low as the LS engines but that is what gearing is for. A 1UZ can be had for $600-800, new forged rods and pistons $1200-2K, machine work $700, and a stand alone ECU $2500, and you would have a super solid motor that would make 300hp and could take a little nitrous.... lol

No need to go thru all that trouble......Marine 1uz's make 300hp/330tq out of the crate and have no emissions crap choking the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom