Desmog components (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, that is the special parts that are needed for a complete & sano desmog on an 81-87 2F engine.
The AP idler and EGR compression plug are specific to the 79-80 2F, being smaller than the more common 81-87 2F.
The 79-80 AP idler takes a few days to custom cut and weld together, but it can be done, no problem.

The EGR compression plug is not yet in production for the 79-80. The raw material is here and if you're interested it will move up the priority list for machining, just LMK.

Thank you. I'd like that very much.

OK, Ordered another tool to hold work in the lathe. How many tools does one person need? Don't ask silly questions. ;)

Tool arrives tomorrow, will figure out efficient machining of the 1979 EGR plug in the next couple days.

Got a new holding tool, then broke the parting off tool. Not to self: Cutting off a fine thread, hygrade bolt is not as easy as Sch 40 pipe.

The 79-80 plug out is made from a large (M20 fine thread) steel bolt, because it is an available bolt thread. But the steel bolt is not as easy to machine as the free-machining brass. So one less step but slower production time, works out to the same price of $30.

Before breaking anything:
DSC00043.JPG

After cutting bolt with whiz wheel, facing off bolt, center drilling, boring, chamfering inside & outside...
DSC00037.JPG

Here ya go, @S.CarolinaFZJ80 and @mtrdud.
edit: this would benefit from a quick coat of flat black primer, IMHO.
DSC00040.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Jim,
Just sent PP for EGR blank off and gasket for my 7740.

Thanks
Drew

Hi John, Thanks for posting. Prices above are correct, total w/ Priority Mail shipping is $202. Paypal can be sent to my 'mud ID at gmail dot com.

Yes, it is a convenient time to do it.
Yes, there are mods that can be done that make the truck run better than new, but might not be totally smog-legal.
But ultimately, no, the carb does not HAVE to be rebuilt for a desmog.

Carb rebuild, desmog, re-jet, test on dyno engine, return ship is 5 weeks & $399.
Dissy clean, recurve, test spin, return ship is $129.
Above prices are rebuild of customer's good core. Carb cores are good 98% of the time. Dissy cores are good 70% of the time.

HTH!
I am guessing I am not the first to ask, but do you sell a new distributor that you have done the recurve on? I am asking as I would like to order and have it ready when I do the desmog so my truck is not out of commission. If not, can I buy an OEM disti for my 83FJ60 and send it to you for the recurve??

John, those dissys are kinda valuable, or in demand, so when I do manage to get hold of a good one it sells pretty quickly to somebody updating an earlier Cruiser. So no, I don't have any rebuildable spare dissys. All the big cap 81-87 dissys are the same, so if you find one to send in, it can be recurved to work in your FJ60.

Thanks for asking!

Note to anybody considering purchasing stuff: I'm trying to be out of office for the next 2 weeks for holiday w/ family stuff. So I might be able to respond to emails, or mud posts, or ship products. But probably not. Best to assume I'm visiting the ISS and will be unavailable until the first week of January.

Thanks for another great year of Cruising, and a happy Festivus to all! :cheers:

Jim - I see that you're likely out, but I need a replacement pulley for your smog pump eliminator kit - what is a commercial part number for the pulley/bearing assembly? (or what vehicle does it fit, if it's easier to look it up that way). Thanks - Steve

Steve, it is an industrial standard idler pulley.
Very early versions were 5" OD x 5/8" center bore. Most have been 4" OD x 1/2" bore.
B-size belt width in any Cruiser application.

Here's an example:
Fenner Drives V-Belt Idler Pulley, B Belt Type, 4 In O D VA4002 | Zoro.com

Note that this one has a bigger bore, but there is a spacer bushing in the original pulley that shrinks it down to 1/2". This piece can be purchased or pressed out and moved to a new pulley.

HTH!

Hi John, Thanks for posting. Prices above are correct, total w/ Priority Mail shipping is $202. Paypal can be sent to my 'mud ID at gmail dot com.

Yes, it is a convenient time to do it.
Yes, there are mods that can be done that make the truck run better than new, but might not be totally smog-legal.
But ultimately, no, the carb does not HAVE to be rebuilt for a desmog.

Carb rebuild, desmog, re-jet, test on dyno engine, return ship is 5 weeks & $399.
Dissy clean, recurve, test spin, return ship is $129.
Above prices are rebuild of customer's good core. Carb cores are good 98% of the time. Dissy cores are good 70% of the time.

HTH!
Sent $202 via paypal yesterday. Included shipping address in notes. My pump went out so now in the shop. Let me know if you are currently shipping kits right away or if there is a delay......Thanks.

Sent $202 via paypal yesterday. Included shipping address in notes. My pump went out so now in the shop. Let me know if you are currently shipping kits right away or if there is a delay......Thanks.
Thanks John, got the PP payment. Slight delay while the paint dries on the new batch of idlers. Will ship by the end of the week.

Thanks John, got the PP payment. Slight delay while the paint dries on the new batch of idlers. Will ship by the end of the week.
Roger that....will let me shop know. My pump started making this clicking noise and I thought I had a bad engine problem. Removed the pump from the equation and it stopped. My guy has been chomping at the bits to do the desmog so we are gonna do it. Wish me luck. Carb has already been rebuilt and my mechanic is confident on the recurve.

Roger that....will let me shop know. My pump started making this clicking noise and I thought I had a bad engine problem. Removed the pump from the equation and it stopped. My guy has been chomping at the bits to do the desmog so we are gonna do it. Wish me luck. Carb has already been rebuilt and my mechanic is confident on the recurve.

Did we get my kit out the door?? I hate missing a weekend cruise in my cruiser :steer:

John, the Kit is in the Priority Mail system. Check your email for a tracking number.
Should be there Tuesday, unless the sno-pocalypse stops things.
Got it.....THANKS!! wish me luck on the desmog. Hope to be rolling again by next weekend.

Jim, thanks for your participation in my thread. I have ordered the idler pulley today and paid via PayPal. Looking forward to getting everything back to top shape thanks to most if not all of the parts you supply the community.

Travis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom