Desmog components (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim sent PayPal funds few days ago for idler pulley wasn't sure if I needed to add a note here. Thanks

As far as v-belts, does this idler still work best with factory belt? From idler to power steering, crank and water pump?

Oops, reread the early part of the thread and see the answer to belt question.

That's a toughie. Try all the usual culprits: penetrant, percussion, heat. Then try catching the edge w/ a chisel and tap-tapping in the unthread direction. Since there's already a hole in the center, try an easy-out.

For future reference, if the AI nozzle seems stuck in the head or looks really rusty, start by soaking with oil for a day, then remove air rail. If rail nut(s) won't come loose, then just shear the rusty tube off flush w/ the nut using a sharp chisel. once air rail is out of the way, rap on the top of the fitting with a hammer to shock it & break up the rust. use a 17mm 6point socket and flex-head ratchet to remove fitting. The flex head will allow breaking it loose with the handle held slightly down to put the tork all in line with rotating the fastener. As the handle is swiveled upward, more & more of the tork goes into breaking the fastener off sideways rather than turning the fastener.

Sam, it is in progress. FWIW it has previously been upgraded from the dinky 69 carb to a 70-72 carb, bonus!

Sam2, it goes in the mail today. thanks.
Jim,
I know you are a busy guy, but do you when you will be done with the carb rebuild. Thanks, Sam

New product announcement!

When removing the EGR on an 81-87 2F, there is a large diameter, bastard metric thread EGR inlet pipe in the sideplate of the intake manifold that has to be dealt with.
DSC09767.JPG

We wanted to come up with a simple, robust solution that did not involve removing & modifying the plate, or removing & replacing the plate.

Here's the solution- a custom USA machined hex compression plug to fit the threaded end of the EGR pipe.
DSC09942.JPG

It just threads into the compression nut that remains trapped on the pipe after the EGR valve is removed.

DSC09769.JPG

DSC09771.JPG

Advantages:
  • easy installation
  • easily reversible
  • no removal of plate, no broken bolts in manifold, no gasket replacement
  • no welding
Disadvantage:
  • kinda bright. A quick coat of flat black may be beneficial.

Price is $30, and no other hardware or gasket needed.

See ordering info in 1st & 2nd post of this thread. Thanks for reading!

Jim sent you an email and contact form on your website about a desmog. Please get back to me when you have a chance. Thanks Steve

Hi Jim,

I just PP you $201 for a complete desmog kit for a 87 FJ6o (including EGR Compression Plug_. As far as I can tell from here this would include:

Air Pump Idler Pulley $110
Cap/Plug Set $ 10
EGR Block Off Plate $ 30
EGR Gasket 25628-61060 $ 15
EGR Compression Plug $ 30
Shipping $ 6

For a grand total of $201. Please let me know if I missed anything or miscalculated.

Thanks and have a wonderful day,

Ben

Hi Jim,

What's the turn around on a dizzy recurve? What's the best way to send it to you?

Thanks so much and have a great evening,

Ben

Hi Jim,

I'm interested in the same recurve service.
Please PM me with cost and details.

Thanks
Ernie

I'm interested in the getting a distributor recurved for the desmog if that is still happening.

Hi Jim
I want to buy a manifold block off plate for my 78 40. Let me know and I’ll send payment ASAP. Thanks
Matt
Aka tub

Hi everybody, It's been busy in the shop the past few months, not much time for ih8mudding. All of the desmog parts are in stock, ready to ship, though we are low on the idler pulley (2? left on the shelf). New idler parts are on the way from the laser cutter, so we should have a nearly uninterrupted supply. If there's any questions about desmog parts that are not answered in the first few posts of this thread, please post up and I'll try to answer promptly.
As always, thanks for your support!

Payment sent. PayPal makes it SOOOOOO easy to part with my money. Thank you for your service to the Land Cruiser community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom