deep cycle battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have two deep cycle group 31's in parallel (hardwired) and they are great so far. Been running them for about 6 months.

1200 CCA and capacity for days...

I had an interstate marine from Costco which died after 6 months. Had it replaced with a new one which has lasted 18 months. I might have been partially responsible for killing the first one and if so my lessons learned have kept the second one alive.

Last edited:
how many people do use the deep cycle battery and for how long .
i have two deep cycle marine battery and i killed one after 2 year now debating is deep cycle battery really good to use for everyday starting ...

You should post this in the Power Systems sub forum. But generally the answer is no. True deep cycle batteries aren't made for starting. Take a look at the above section and you'll find several threads on the topic.

Deep cycle batteries are for running electronics, fridges, etc. They are not designed for high amp discharge...

Starting/standard batteries are for starting.

Last edited:
I have two Optima yellow tops. Rig came with them. They seem to work good for me.

Primary is Coscto/Interstate Regular Battery. Secondary is Costco/Interstate Deep Cycle with the $80 Blue Sea Isolator. Run your Accessories off the Aux Battery. Bulletproof Setup. Made a short + Jumper to start if main battery goes dead. Fuse everything.

Primary is Coscto/Interstate Regular Battery. Secondary is Costco/Interstate Deep Cycle with the $80 Blue Sea Isolator. Run your Accessories off the Aux Battery. Bulletproof Setup. Made a short + Jumper to start if main battery goes dead. Fuse everything.

This is what I did but with the BlueSea ML-ACR. $80 for each battery and 42 month full replacement on the starting battery. Can't beat the value or the replacement policy.

I jumped my main battery off my isolated aux battery, which was sweet, but I still carry a jump start USB battery as a backup. I don't want to rely on my "fun" 2nd battery to also be my savior. Say you're out alone, your fridge and other stuff drains your 2nd battery, then you leave a light on or something overnight, and now you have two dead batteries by the time you try and start your truck. This basically happened to me but thankfully it was in my driveway :)

Use a regular starting battery for your everyday starting needs.

A good thing to keep in mind is the marine/cranking battery for the AUX battery tray. It does both pretty well. I rely on a CPAP so need to have reliable power for it. I can start off it if I let it trickle charge the primary if it goes dead. I run Interstates and their marine/cranking battery I installed when I first got the truck 8 years ago was just replaced. I got my money's worth out of that one. Replaced it with another Interstate.

we're running run marine/deep cycle batteries in both of our 80s (and the 40) - I managed to kill the one in the LX the other day :rolleyes: but Batteries Plus brought it back to life for free :D

Use a regular starting battery for your everyday starting needs.

A good thing to keep in mind is the marine/cranking battery for the AUX battery tray. It does both pretty well. I rely on a CPAP so need to have reliable power for it. I can start off it if I let it trickle charge the primary if it goes dead. I run Interstates and their marine/cranking battery I installed when I first got the truck 8 years ago was just replaced. I got my money's worth out of that one. Replaced it with another Interstate.

Not gonna Lie, I took your advice off here and went with it.
I put Costco batteries in all my cars and I do not think you can find a better combo for durability, price & warranty. Plus if I have an issue it's 10 mins to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom