Daughterofromer got a GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
It took me a lot of years, but now both my daughters drive Land Cruisers, Sarah has a 100 series and now Rachel @daughterofromer has a 2007 GX470

Going to rip out the air system and have Slee install a Lift

Thinking the 4runner ARB skids would work on this

Still have to map out the other mods after we sell the 2002 4runner
Capture.GIF

Took you long enough lol

Join gxor and here for maximum info

Nice. It should be fun watching you build the gx470. Looking forward to the details of the build.

Some questions

first step is to install a lift. We have airbags and new ones at that as they were replaced 6 months ago. The steps look easy to remove them

Shocks and springs are no big deal other than what adapter I might need where the air bag was

On my 100 series, I did not install UCAs until after a few years and then it was because I wanted to not because I needed them. Do I need UCAs on the lift?

Iron Man 2.5" seems popular here. I have always run OME in my 40 (DAKAR), 80, 100 and now 200. Is the Iron man better than the OME or at least have some advantages?

Had a diff drop in my 100, no diff drop in my 200. I read a few posts that say no diff drop here. Thinking since the drive train is similar to a 100 it was a good idea, but open to save $$

The 100 series front diff is very weak and I installed afront locker so it wouldnt break on the trail. Any similar issues here?

From what I read, 4th gen 4runner ARB skid plates work just fine. Any others to look at?

I like the Metal tech sliders. Rocky Road look okay, but also have some bad reviews. Looks to be some drilling to install, that is the current plan for now

So important stuff. Mostly city driving. Tires will be 33's no bigger. no hard core wheeling. Same stuff she has been doing in her 4runner: Blackbear pass, Moab, other Colorado trails liek Red Cone etc.

any thoughts would be appreciated

UCA are not necessary if you stay at 2" lift and don't go with long travel shocks.

RCI is where I will be getting my skid plates.

The OPOR sliders in Metal Tech will also require drilling and utilize nut certs on middle and front legs. Probably 75% of people just weld them on. I was stubborn and determined to torture myself with the NutCert installation.

If you go OME BP-51 work well. Iron Man foam cell pro seem to be the low cost performance option.

UCAs get you back to stock alignment and prevent tire rub. You will get them eventually so just get it over with.

No diff drop needed, but get band clamps to keep the CVs from burping since the wore in at a different angle.

RCI, HeftyFab, MetalTech, BudBuilt, southern style offroad, and more make GX specific skids and/or sliders. ARB will work but some have not had good wear and tear with them.

If you go OME BP-51 work well. Iron Man foam cell pro seem to be the low cost performance option.

BP-51 are bolt on? Where does the reservoir go? The don't make a GX specific one.

I dont want to go adjustable. I am a set it and leave it kind of guy. I used the standard OME on my 100 and 200 and they work fin, but thanks for the thought

Iron man or OME are fine.

BP-51 are bolt on? Where does the reservoir go? The don't make a GX specific one.

There are two GX470's i know of with BP-51. AWilson013 on this forum specifically has a 120 series specific BP-51 kit.

I'm running 884/895 coils with nitrochargers on mine Romer, did great at Jambo last weekend. No UCAs or diff drop.

I'm considering changing my fronts to 885 to jump back up to where i was before the hidden winch, if there are no winches in the plans those coils are a solid choice.

Photo May 06, 11 01 05 AM.jpg

I just installed the sliders from Metal Tech this past Saturday and we started on the passenger's side and it took the longest. After installing the passenger side the driver's side was nothing and went quickly. A parts list and some instructions or suggestions would have cut some of the time down but we managed to get it. I think I did end up getting on here and searched for 'gx slider install' and got a little bit of help from it.

I'm following this thread because I am considering a lift and know absolutely nothing about lifts on the GX. There are so many suggestions, options, and opinions I am overwhelmed with information that I don't understand. I do not plan to do any wild and crazy wheeling just want more clearance and tire turning room. I am considering some skids but wasn't planning to do full skids again because I don't plan on doing anything wild and crazy. Ah who am I kidding, if I get some armor I might play a little more risky.

Nice thing about living in Colorado is being close to Slee. he is going to install an OME 2.5" lift, UCAs and a rear ARB locker for me

Perfecto!

Nice thing about living in Colorado is being close to Slee. he is going to install an OME 2.5" lift, UCAs and a rear ARB locker for me

NICE!

did they say what coils they are using? What tires are you goign to put on?

NICE!

did they say what coils they are using? What tires are you goign to put on?

2884 (front) an 2895 (rear). My favorite two tires are the Toyoy AT II and the BFG KO2's. Probably go with the BFGs

Slee said they are working on GX470 sliders and skids and should have sliders by the end of June, so I may wait for those

I have the Toyo Open country ATII on mine. I had them on my Tundra and was impressed with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom